Go North East

Anyone worked for them?

Any good?
I’m into my fifth year. The job is what you make of it, you want trouble, you’ll get trouble, if you’re pleasant, people are pleasant back.

I love it personally. I’m a creative writer by trade but decided to do this as a stopgap. Not the best pay ever, and not the most family friendly shifts, but if you can see through that, then you will enjoy it. Oh, and don’t listen to the people in the canteen whinging about the job, they wouldn’t be here if the job wasn’t good enough.

Good luck.

I’m into my fifth year. The job is what you make of it, you want trouble, you’ll get trouble, if you’re pleasant, people are pleasant back.

I love it personally. I’m a creative writer by trade but decided to do this as a stopgap. Not the best pay ever, and not the most family friendly shifts, but if you can see through that, then you will enjoy it. Oh, and don’t listen to the people in the canteen whinging about the job, they wouldn’t be here if the job wasn’t good enough.

Good luck.
Thanks mate, what’s the rota’s like if u don’t mind me asking? I’m used to non family friendly shifts so should be alright.

Thanks mate, what’s the rota’s like if u don’t mind me asking? I’m used to non family friendly shifts so should be alright.
Generic Early/Middle/Late craic really.

Although if you’re starting at Deptford Depot, you’ll be doing ‘council’ runs where the shifts can be dreadfully long. That’ll only be one day out of 5 though. Then you’ll move onto ‘big bus’ rotas which are much more flexible.

Decent bunch of people work there if you need a swap, generally hoy it on Facebook and someone will snap your hands off.

Although if you’re starting at Deptford Depot, you’ll be doing ‘council’ runs where the shifts can be dreadfully long. That’ll only be one day out of 5 though. Then you’ll move onto ‘big bus’ rotas which are much more flexible.

Decent bunch of people work there if you need a swap, generally hoy it on Facebook and someone will snap your hands off.
Thanks mate really appreciate it.

A mate works for them and often finishes one shift at 11.45pm and his next is 7.45pm leaving 8 hours break (the minimum) for travel, food, shower, sleep and back again.
Wages is about £18,000 a year once your trained up.
Shifts start about 4am and run until after midnight.
Drunks, kids and other prats often are a nightmare as well.
Mega strict drink and drugs policy, anything in your system of a couple of cans the night before and your suspended.
Regular health checks etc.
He often whinged about lack of change, people getting on with a £20 for a 90p fare, but since contactless payments came in most people use those now.

On the plus side because he works overtime, extra shifts and works rest days, he often gets to the point where they're giving him 6/7 days off in a row.
His family gets free bus passes, so on days off you can go off on the lash around the region.
Free uniform.

You can move up to National Express and they pay in the low 20's, but you spend time away from home.

Can't be right, the minimum is 11 hours.

But what they use is driving break hours.

If you drive a bus or lorry, you can drive for 4 hours before you have to take a 20 minute break.
Then you can drive for another 4 hours before you have to take an 8 hour break.

They class them as "Mobile" workers who are exempt from the 11 hour rule.

This is designed for long distance drivers, but used by the bus companies to justify silly hours.

I thought it was illegal as well, but apparently the unions have been into it and the company is right.

Still think it's wrong myself like.

Last edited:
8:30 between shifts.

If you drive a bus or lorry, you can drive for 4 hours before you have to take a 20 minute break.

This is designed for long distance drivers, but used by the bus companies to justify silly hours.

I thought it was illegal as well, but apparently the unions have been into it and the company is right.

Just read it, shocking really. :eek:

Whats the difference mate?

Do you get to choose your bus - go for the biggest each day?

Think they did something shady with the X10/X9 routes too - split them into two routes terminating at Peterlee/Dalton Park to keep them under a certain distance, as some other rule kicks in if the route is over a certain distance

Think they did something shady with the X10/X9 routes too - split them into two routes terminating at Peterlee/Dalton Park to keep them under a certain distance, as some other rule kicks in if the route is over a certain distance

Those buses are a disaster waiting to happen....the A19 is a shite road for accidents. No seatbelts at 60 on a packed bus...bus drivers are obviously competent but that doesn’t account for the other bellends that use it!

Been on an interview today at the riverside depot. Offered me pre employment assessment centre. Difficult to get through? @ShaabanShaaban
If you got through the interview, you’ll likely walk the assessment. It’s not particularly testing, just basic maths essentially, and mostly based around driving and paperwork.

Some of the most miserable c.unts alive some bus drivers like :lol:
Quite an antiquated point of view. Although there are some incredibly miserable individuals that work for us, a lot of the lads have a history in retail and know how to speak to customers these days.

I still avoid the canteen in fear of being forced into pessimism.

Last edited:
If you got through the interview, you’ll likely walk the assessment. It’s not particularly testing, just basic maths essentially, and mostly based around driving and paperwork.

Quite an antiquated point of view. Although there are some incredibly miserable individuals that work for us, a lot of the lads have a history in retail and know how to speak to customers these days.

I still avoid the canteen in fear of being forced into pessimism.
I’ve got the assessment on Tuesday 19th, and cheers mate.

Well done.
Cheers mate

Back