GNR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamsy

Central Defender
What do people train up to regarding the GNR? I was told not to run more that 7 or 8 mile preparing for it (something to do with peaking on the day I think) but last year doing it for the first time I started really flagging at 10 miles and struggled the rest of the way. Should I be running the full distance or not? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Last half I did I trained up to 12, managed OK training to 9 with the GNR before too, so it's mostly individual.

Key thing for me is the taper, and not to run any great length in the 2 weeks leading up.

I think I'll try training up to 10 and see how I get on.

What were you running leading up to it mate, and when did you start loading up on the carbs?

I ran it in just under 2 hrs last year so want to smash that.

Cheers in advance, appreciate it.

Depends how well you want to do. If you can run 10 you can run 13 but personally I would make sure you can run 12 (I did before my first half years ago when I didnt consider myself a runner).

Also the last long run should be 2 weeks before the race and start the taper

Depends how well you want to do. If you can run 10 you can run 13 but personally I would make sure you can run 12 (I did before my first half years ago when I didnt consider myself a runner).

Also the last long run should be 2 weeks before the race and start the taper

Nice one mate. I don't consider myself a runner, I don't think I ever will but I want to keep relatively fit and having a goal (GNR) helps motivate me.

I want to try and get 90-105 mins this year if possible so I'll need to put the effort in.

Nice one mate. I don't consider myself a runner, I don't think I ever will but I want to keep relatively fit and having a goal (GNR) helps motivate me.

I want to try and get 90-105 mins this year if possible so I'll need to put the effort in.

Yeah you dont want to really struggle and 13.1 miles in quite warm weather (usually is for the GNR) is tough for anyone regardless of ability

You run with an app or watch? If so I would start paying attention to your pace, and use that as a guide to what you want to do the GNR in.

If you did it in just under 2 hours that's a pace of around 9 minute miles.
To do 1:45 you need to do 8 minute miles
To do 1:32 you need to do 7 minute miles.

Now it might sound obvious, but the extra effort needed in getting from 9 down to 8 minute pace, then 7 minute pace is exponential. 2 Years ago I did it in 1:43 so just under 8 pace. For me to get around 1:30 (which will be my aim this year) I need to aim for 7 minute miles. I know that's going to take a huge effort and to be honest, at the minute I just don't know if that is going to be achievable.

I would recommend getting your 5 or 6 mile (as in distance) run pace up to what you want it to be for HM, then work on distance over the summer. By then you should have a good idea on how the GNR will go...

You run with an app or watch? If so I would start paying attention to your pace, and use that as a guide to what you want to do the GNR in.

If you did it in just under 2 hours that's a pace of around 9 minute miles.
To do 1:45 you need to do 8 minute miles
To do 1:32 you need to do 7 minute miles.

Now it might sound obvious, but the extra effort needed in getting from 9 down to 8 minute pace, then 7 minute pace is exponential. 2 Years ago I did it in 1:43 so just under 8 pace. For me to get around 1:30 (which will be my aim this year) I need to aim for 7 minute miles. I know that's going to take a huge effort and to be honest, at the minute I just don't know if that is going to be achievable.

I would recommend getting your 5 or 6 mile (as in distance) run pace up to what you want it to be for HM, then work on distance over the summer. By then you should have a good idea on how the GNR will go...

I just use the Nike ap on my phone.

I think getting down to 7 min miles will be too much for me, 8 min miles is much more realistic.

Cheers for the advice! Appreciate it!

What do people train up to regarding the GNR? I was told not to run more that 7 or 8 mile preparing for it (something to do with peaking on the day I think) but last year doing it for the first time I started really flagging at 10 miles and struggled the rest of the way. Should I be running the full distance or not? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, cheers!

I think the 7 to 8 miles thing is for 1st timers or people who only train for 1 half marathon a year so they don't overtrain & injure themselves. People who run all year round are used to higher mileage so will run longer distances in training for specific events

For my 1st half marathon I trained up to do 1 or 2 full distance runs as a psychological benefit.

I got my best time of about 1h45m when I trained up to 10 miles and incorporated different types of training.

Running smarter is what the yanks or the running magazines would label it as.

For my 1st half marathon I trained up to do 1 or 2 full distance runs as a psychological benefit.

I got my best time of about 1h45m when I trained up to 10 miles and incorporated different types of training.

Running smarter is what the yanks or the running magazines would label it as.

I think it'll be a good idea to do at least one full distance this year, as you say just for my psychological benefit.
Problem I'm having at the mo is I work away for a fortnight where I can only run on treadmills and I can't bear it, really boring, even with music on i just want to get off straight away so I'm finding it hard to get motivated. Gonna try and stick a film on my iPad to see what that's like or listen to an audio book or something.

I think it'll be a good idea to do at least one full distance this year, as you say just for my psychological benefit.
Problem I'm having at the mo is I work away for a fortnight where I can only run on treadmills and I can't bear it, really boring, even with music on i just want to get off straight away so I'm finding it hard to get motivated. Gonna try and stick a film on my iPad to see what that's like or listen to an audio book or something.
Mix it up a bit if you can do hiit on the rower or bikes if you can get to a gym. Can't you take running kit away with you?

Yeah mate
Mix it up a bit if you can do hiit on the rower or bikes if you can get to a gym. Can't you take running kit away with you?
the gyms well equipped mate, treads rower bikes and weights etc but it's on an oil rig so I can't get out for a run. Didn't even think about going on the bikes or rower to be honest, I'll give it a go, cheers.

Yeah mate

the gyms well equipped mate, treads rower bikes and weights etc but it's on an oil rig so I can't get out for a run. Didn't even think about going on the bikes or rower to be honest, I'll give it a go, cheers.
Even if you cannot run you can build aerobic strength and leg strength when offshore. My best training was going for a 6 mile bike ride and stopping half way to do sprinting.

Rowing is f@cking difficult and you can do e.g. 2000m over 8mins in one session then sprints in others. 1 min warmup, 30 secs flat out, 30-60secs recovery and repeat as much as you can. Plenty of ideas on the web.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back