Glorious 12th.

Jon Dough

Winger
Glorious 12th today,grouse shooting starts,labour aren't happy and want it stopping,its shaped a lot of the landscape in weardale,teesdale and north-Yorkshire,labour are saying its had its day and is cruel,has it had its day in a modern world?

Glorious 12th today,grouse shooting starts,labour aren't happy and want it stopping,its shaped a lot of the landscape in weardale,teesdale and north-Yorkshire,labour are saying its had its day and is cruel,has it had its day in a modern world?
How has the shooting shaped the landscape (other than them being called grouse moors)? Genuine question.

Yes. The grouse shooting industry is destroying large areas of countryside. Too much money involved so nowt will change though

Yes, it should be stopped. I have no problem with hunting animals for bait, but not for sport. It's not just shooting either - they use traps.

It's not just cruel to the birds, but the horses they ride too. They force them to gallop on roads which are unsuitable for horses. There's videos knocking about of horses being pushed to the point they're collapsing, unable to walk, or stressing so much that they go into fits.

Last edited:
I can't imagine any mammal enjoys being shot, so it's cruel imo.

Hang on, is a bird a mammal?...No live young or milk...Nope, they're birds

Last edited:
Heather burning etc, structured rotational burning programs allow for vegetative regeneration,landscape was the wrong choice of word.
Cowardly as fuck
Hope your a vegan,you have obviously never been inside or seen inside an abbatoir,your bacon this morning didn't die in its sleep.

Last edited:
Yes, it should be stopped. I have no problem with hunting animals for bait, but not for sport. It's not just shooting either - they use traps.

It's not just cruel to the birds, but the horses they ride too. They force them to gallop on roads which are unsuitable for horses. There's videos knocking about of horses being pushed to the point they're collapsing, unable to walk, or stressing so much that they go into fits.
There's no horses involved in grouse shooting :rolleyes:

Heather burning etc, structured rotational burning programs allow for vegetative regeneration,landscape was the wrong choice of word.

Hope your a vegan,you have obviously never been inside or seen inside an abbatoir,your bacon this morning didn't die in its sleep.
Shown your true colours here. Anyone who disagrees with it is denounced as a vegan.

Who traps grouse?Are you confusing grouse shooting with the grand national?King of the road,nope,yours is a strawman argument,i am saying anyone who thinks grouse shooting is cruel then tucks into a bacon roll without a thought of true cruelty needs to look into the source of their food.

some scottish estates (owned by wealthy scandinavians by the look of it) have banned driven grouse shooting and are rewilding their estates, so no more burning, and letting shrubbery grow for cover. Driven moors shoot mountain hares as they carry ticks so that will no longer be done on these estates and birds of prey will also be allowed to hunt naturally without fear of being poisoned or shot illegally.

they still have shooting...buts its a much more natural stalk..so you only get to shoot what you see for yourself, nobody is driving the birds toward a shooting line....means your party might shoot 20 birds in a day rather than 200

it also means the birds have a self sustaining population that you dont need to top up with thousands of reared birds as you are simply not shooting as many

it does mean a deer cull in some areas as they have got to such massive numbers thanks to having no natural predators

Last edited:
I play cricket with a games keeper, smashing bloke who is very passionate about wildlife and the welfare of the animals on the estate he manages. Mention Chris Packham to him and you can almost see his blood pressure rise.

I don’t know enough on the subject, I know it’s a lot more complex than townies imposing sometimes ill informed views about countryside management though.

I play cricket with a games keeper, smashing bloke who is very passionate about wildlife and the welfare of the animals on the estate he manages. Mention Chris Packham to him and you can almost see his blood pressure rise.

I don’t know enough on the subject, I know it’s a lot more complex than townies imposing sometimes ill informed views about countryside management though.

bottom line is some gamekeepers are good and some are bad

but the industry tries to ignore or hide the facts about the bad ones or just pretend that traps or poisoned bait are put out on driven grouse moors or even that they are just shooting birds of prey just dont happen...when they do

if the bad ones were rooted out or prosecuted then everybody would be a whole lot happier...but they seem reluctant to admit theres even a problem and so campaigners have to keep campaigning

Last edited:

Back