Glen Hoddle

Downing should have had more caps for England, especially being a left winger but he played for Boro so was often overlooked. If he'd have played for one of the big boys he probably would have been one of the first names on the team sheet.
Of course SAFC made the player he was!!

Agree with your comments about him being left-sided and playing for Boro, but looking at his stats he got 35 England caps which surprised me, would have guessed at about 5-10.

Of course SAFC made the player he was!!

Agree with your comments about him being left-sided and playing for Boro, but looking at his stats he got 35 England caps which surprised me, would have guessed at about 5-10.

I seem to remember he was picked quite a lot during Capellos' reign. He played in a lot of friendlies and qualifiers but never really got a chance at a tournament.

He didn't even make the 2010 World Cup squad and we ended up with Gerrard playing wide left. Crazy when you look back it now.

2nd worst thing the FA ever did was allowing Venables to walk away in 1996 - imagine what he could have done with that England squad from 96 when you add Fowler, Beckham, Scholes, Ferdinand and Owen to it

I think the disabled comments were a convenient excuse for the FA. We had started poorly in the group and look very ordinary
Is Venables record as England manager not possibly overhyped?
5 competitive games, all at Wembley
Draw with Switzerland
Win v Scotland
Win v Holland
Draw v Spain - win on penalties
Draw v Germany - lose on penalties

Is Venables record as England manager not possibly overhyped?
5 competitive games, all at Wembley
Draw with Switzerland
Win v Scotland
Win v Holland
Draw v Spain - win on penalties
Draw v Germany - lose on penalties
He had 2 years of friendlies to contend with and tournament football can be 90% luck. Very few teams perform in every game. We were excellent against Holland and Germany and in the 2nd half against Scotland. The Spain game was poor but we did what was needed

We had Scholes for much of that time too who I probably would have played ahead of either of them rather than shoving him out to the left to accommodate them.
The Scholes left wing thing is a bit of a myth really. He played about 5 games there but had played on the left all season for Man United. He actually said it was his favourite position. Aside from that he'd been dreadful for England for a long time and was lucky to still get in the team whereas Lampard and Gerrard were really coming into their own for club and country.

Scholes reinvented himself as a deep playmaker which is how people remember him now but that wasn't until years later after he'd struggled fitness and form.
Always found it really odd that his name used to get bandied around for jobs based on his punditry. Always comes across as a clueless berk.
Nobody mentioned him for years as his Wolves team made MON's Sunderland look like Brazil then he disappeared from the game for years. Was bizarre the way people suddenly clamoured for him, he's a shit pundit. Remember him at the 2014 World Cup talking about the England team he would pick and it was hideous. That should have put the argument to bed.

His England team in 98 were good but at the same time he probably had as good a squad as 2006 but came 2nd in a group of Romania, Colombia and Tunisia then lost in the first knock out stage. We were canny shit in Euro 2000 qualifying before Keegan came in too.

Last edited:
A very gifted player but one of the poorest Wolves managers I've seen.
On a side note I have spoken to his cousin who told me that if it wasn't for his daughter he would have died. He was feeling ropey on the morning of his heart attack and he was going to cancel going in to the BT studio. He was home alone but his daughter rang him and basically persuaded him to go into work. If she hadn't have done that he would have been alone having a massive heart attack. His cousin is a top bloke who helps kids with disabilities go horse riding.
A great coach but not manager material.

I think the disabled comments were a convenient excuse for the FA. We had started poorly in the group and look very ordinary

True, I think he was becoming stranger and stranger though. I mean the Eileen Drewery stuff was n the press, but we weren't really sure of the depth of her involvement and if players actually missed out on caps at the time because on ridiculing the Drewery involvement and not utilising her like Hoddle wanted. On the pitch it also seemed we were massively losing our way as well and there seemed strange obsession with the likes of Andy Hinchliffe Le Saux and using the perma injured Anderton when he could, often at the expense of Beckham or McManaman IIRC. Sheringham was pretty much ignored for a while too, we began to look very ordinary after the 98 WC IIRC.

Looking back I can't understand why we never tried a formation with wing-backs. That way we could have accommodated all 3 midfielders into the side. It also would have solved the issue of not having good options to play wide left - I hated the way Sven used to play Scholes or Joe Cole on the left. I think Beckham would have done a job playing as a wing-back.

............................Robinson.........................

.....Ferdinand.......Terry.....Campbell..........

Beckham...........................................Cole

.....Lampard......Hargreaves..Scholes.....

............................Gerrard......................

.............................Rooney....................
That is probably the right way to incorporate every good player we had into a formation that suited them all, beckham was easily fit enough to play wingback, but Sven for all his continental experience was stuck in the dinosaur British 442 mode ironically 😂

He was a quality player, excellent passer and playmaker, converted awareness well into management at Swindon then Chelsea (remember his Chelsea team pre-dated Abramovic) . Reasonably popular appointment for England I think, did OK , unlucky in the 98 WC, but then lost the plot associating with the faith healer woman and with his comments regarding karma.
Pretty much this, aye. Was a very good manager, although not at the very top level. One of many very good England managers - Robson, Venebles, Hoddle before it all went a bit odd
Looking back I can't understand why we never tried a formation with wing-backs. That way we could have accommodated all 3 midfielders into the side. It also would have solved the issue of not having good options to play wide left - I hated the way Sven used to play Scholes or Joe Cole on the left. I think Beckham would have done a job playing as a wing-back.

............................Robinson.........................

.....Ferdinand.......Terry.....Campbell..........

Beckham...........................................Cole

.....Lampard......Hargreaves..Scholes.....

............................Gerrard......................

.............................Rooney....................
Beckham as a Wing Back? Nah. Gerrard on the other hand, would have been excellent. I remember he played a few games for Liverpool at RB and was outragously good there.
That's Ashley Cole you mean there? That would have been fine. Joe Cole, absolutely not.

Last edited:
Great coach and football man.Should have had the jobs for years.

daft as shite with his gob like loads of bloke like him who have had people agreeing with him for all of his life no matter what he comes out with.

Seem to recall players speaking highly of him and being disappointed at his departure especially Rio Ferdinand

Shite. England were used to dinosaur football that had failed them for 30 years, Hoddle was prepared to try and actually play, and was probably more significant as a symbol than as anything positive he actually did. Before Hoddle we had essentially 30 years of Pulis. After Hoddle we had Keegan and Lazio Sven. I think people look more fondly on Hoddle because he was the man that marked the change but he wasn’t the man that brought the change. That was Wenger.

A complete wanker too, the way he treated Gascoigne in 98 really shows what a vindictive piece of shit he was, and he was disappointing/failure in every job he had as a manager.
The reason Lampard and Gerrard couldn't play together in a two was because they were both attack-minded midfielders. They were used to playing as advanced midfielders for their clubs.

I remember Lampard commenting on it, saying that you'd go to a World Cup and play Paraguay and end up with four little fellas playing one-twos around you, and both him and Gerrard struggled to break up the play, as neither were used to playing the defensive midfield role, or both would be too far forward and we'd end up being overrun in midfield.

If we'd have played one of them alongside Owen Hargreaves it would have worked, or a three man midfield even but Sven would only play 4-4-2, and tried to shoehorn them both into the side.

The real truth is that they were both very tactically undisciplined players. In their respective club teams they had a framework around them to enable them to play their natural games and always have cover. It was like playground football, they had no responsibility other than to make sure one of the 4000 long shots they twatted into the stand hit the back of the net, and because they were fantastic players that would usually be two. The second it came to having to fit into a disciplined system they couldn’t kill the schoolboy in themselves because they had never been taught to. It got to the point where Capello had to explain to them like children ‘if you can see the others shirt number, stay where you are’ and they couldn’t even do that.

Last edited:
A complete wanker too, the way he treated Gascoigne in 98 really shows what a vindictive piece of shit he was, and he was disappointing/failure in every job he had as a manager.
Wasn't Gazza pissed up and injured at the time? He'd played about 1 game in 6 months?
The real truth is that they were both very tactically undisciplined players. In their respective club teams they had a framework around them to enable them to play their natural games and always have cover. It was like playground football, they had no responsibility other than to make sure one of the 4000 long shots they twatted into the stand hit the back of the net, and because they were fantastic players that would usually be two. The second it came to having to fit into a disciplined system they couldn’t kill the schoolboy in themselves because they had never been taught to. It got to the point where Capello had to explain to them like children ‘if you can see the others shirt number, stay where you are’ and they couldn’t even do that.
You can say that about Lampard for sure - he basically played as an extra, deep forward - mopping up the pieces - and at Chelsea, there were LOTS of those chances.

Gerrard was basically a one-man team for a long time at Liverpool. He had to do everything

But yes, neither of those 2 things was what we needed in the national team.

Last edited:
Wasn't Gazza pissed up and injured at the time? He'd played about 1 game in 6 months?

You can say that about Lampard for sure - he basically played as an extra, deep forward - mopping up the pieces - and at Chelsea, there were LOTS of those chances.

Gerrard was basically a one-man team for a long time at Liverpool. He had to do everything

But yes, neither of those 2 things was what we needed in the national team.
He was, and he would have been justifiably left out the team on that basis. Hoddle told him to go and let his hair down and relax after a week of training, gascoigne went to a bar to have a couple of drinks and Hoddle sent a photographer after him. Next day the picture was in the paper and he used that as justification to drop him. Really shitty thing to do to somebody with a drink problem and mental health issues. Although I suppose Hoddle just though he deserved them for pastlife crimes at the time!

Your description of Gerrard as a one man team is exactly what I’m referring too, possibly better than Lampard. Gerrard just had to go on the field and run anywhere he wanted with little consideration for the shape of the team. Like a 14 year old playing with his mates. His greatest ever game in the champions league final he was at RB for a lot of the time, then CM, then CB, then CAM, then CF etc, He played CB-CF and everywhere in between, there was little to no tactical discipline it was always ‘how do I get the ball, and how can I get it as quickly as possible’.

The reason Lampard and Gerrard couldn't play together in a two was because they were both attack-minded midfielders. They were used to playing as advanced midfielders for their clubs.

I remember Lampard commenting on it, saying that you'd go to a World Cup and play Paraguay and end up with four little fellas playing one-twos around you, and both him and Gerrard struggled to break up the play, as neither were used to playing the defensive midfield role, or both would be too far forward and we'd end up being overrun in midfield.

If we'd have played one of them alongside Owen Hargreaves it would have worked, or a three man midfield even but Sven would only play 4-4-2, and tried to shoehorn them both into the side.
I seem to remember Gerrard playing right back for England, can't remember which Engalnd manager it was though but.
Unbelievable player manager for Swindon and took us to the PL.
Unfortunately got his head turned by a better offer from Chelsea and left us within days.
Saw him at Roker playing for Swindon as a sweeper, pinging 40 yard passes.

Last edited:
Ah, Hargreaves. Literally THE SOLUTION to our International midfield. So underrated. Such a shame the injuries got him or he'd have been our "water carrier" for a generation, allowing others to do their thing.
Never seen a more intelligent ballwinner in the middle of the park. Didn't even need to tackle, as he knew exactly where to be to just collect the ball and get us moving.

Damn.

Shite. England were used to dinosaur football that had failed them for 30 years, Hoddle was prepared to try and actually play, and was probably more significant as a symbol than as anything positive he actually did. Before Hoddle we had essentially 30 years of Pulis. After Hoddle we had Keegan and Lazio Sven. I think people look more fondly on Hoddle because he was the man that marked the change but he wasn’t the man that brought the change. That was Wenger.

They could get away with being tactically undisciplined at their clubs because they would generally play alongside a holding midfielder as part of a two, or in the no 10 role. I think it's the same for many advanced midfielders, and particularly those who play in the no 10 role.

We'd have had the exact same problems back at Euro 96, if for example Venables had have played Gazza alongside Jamie Redknapp. The reason Gazza was able to express himself, and play with so much freedom was because he was partnered alongside Ince.

During Svens' reign we just had this obsession with trying to fit our biggest stars into the side, regardless of how it affected the balance or the shape of the team. It was literally a case of 'throw your best players into the side together and hope for the best'.

I don't think it was a case of Lampard and Gerrard being tactically inept, it was actually Sven who was tactically inept. It's basic stuff to understand that you need the right balance in central midfield, yet Sven couldn't see it, or was just too stubborn to change it.
Ah, Hargreaves. Literally THE SOLUTION to our International midfield. So underrated. Such a shame the injuries got him or he'd have been our "water carrier" for a generation, allowing others to do their thing.
Never seen a more intelligent ballwinner in the middle of the park. Didn't even need to tackle, as he knew exactly where to be to just collect the ball and get us moving.

Damn.

I'll always remember his MOTM peformance against Portugal at the 2006 World Cup. Think it was the only game he started at that tournament, and I remember feeling so frustrated that he'd been overlooked up until that point.

Last edited:

Back