Giving blood

Going on Friday to barrack road. always go there.
Never had a problem in21 visits.
I would go more regularly if allowed. if they are that short I don't see why I couldn't do once a month.
Ive asked about this but 15 weeks is minimum.
Anyone else feel the same?
They did a survey a few years ago to explore how people would feel about donating more often, I said 6 times a year is easily achievable. Not heard anything since.

Men can donate four times a year and women three currently.

I would go more regularly if allowed. if they are that short I don't see why I couldn't do once a month.
12 weeks for men, 16 for women, I believe.

It's only 8 weeks in some countries, so they may reduce it at some point.

They ran a study called the Interval Study around ten years ago where they put loads of people on different intervals (I was doing every 10 weeks iirc) to see what effects it had and what the safe intervals were for men and women. I think the gap for men was shortened because of it.

If you want to donate more and can give up a bit more time look at platelet donations. I donate once a month-ish but you can do up to every two weeks.

Last edited:
They ran a study called the Interval Study around ten years ago where they put loads of people on different intervals (I was doing every 10 weeks iirc) to see what effects it had and what the safe intervals were for men and women. I think the gap for men was shortened because of it.

If you want to donate more and can give up a bit more time look at platelet donations. I donate once a month-ish but you can do up to every two weeks.
Good call on the platelets. I've been told they'd rather have my whole blood instead because of the type being O+ (the most common). I think it's A or B that they want for platelets.

Done so about 8 times. Watched my dad do it a lot when I was a kid and started when he wasn’t allowed any more.

Easy as owt, saves lives, doesn’t hurt unless the nurse prods you too many times and you get a cup of tea and biscuits for the privilege.

Will probably book to do so again in the next few weeks, it’s been a while...

Gave my 20th donation on Wednesday. I agree with what has been said previously that it is strangely addictive.

I’ve been trying to book my next appointment on the app, but it is not allowing me to book anywhere. Has anyone experienced this issue recently? No dates available at the Newcastle Donor Centre from April - August according to the app.

Gave my 20th donation on Wednesday. I agree with what has been said previously that it is strangely addictive.

I’ve been trying to book my next appointment on the app, but it is not allowing me to book anywhere. Has anyone experienced this issue recently? No dates available at the Newcastle Donor Centre from April - August according to the app.
Last time I got that was when they were running on skeleton donations, so just taking what was absolutely necessary.

Used to quite regularly but booking a slot became such a ballache that I don't bother anymore.

When they first brought this in i was a bit unhappy with it. I was happy just turning up and waiting. I also thought they might lose quite a few donors. I've no idea whether that happened or not.
Think I got up to 40 odd donations before I stopped going.

Didnt have problem with the needle, but the last five times I went they were having bother drawing a vein. It started to take longer and longer with filling the bag. The last couple of sessions, it felt like they were mining for coal or something, moving the needle around whilst it was inside my arm, was gritting teeth during the procedure.

Decided to gave the next couple of sessions a miss to see if made a difference, and then they stopped using The Assembly Rooms in Newcastle, which was only a five minute walk from my place of work, and other drop in sessions just couldn’t get to conveniently.

This.

Last edited:

Back