Give him a chance !!

He was home sick and didn't want to be here. Given a lot of time off because of it by Keane and the club let him got relatively cheaply because of it.

Everyone thought Keane kept dropping him and didn't rate him at the time, but it was explained later.

Didn't seem homesick later in his career like.
Only retired at the end of last season and had a decent career, was talking to a Swede on holiday about him and he was very popular in Gothenburg, didn't realise he played so many times for Sweden either.

Reet , don’t be shy, who do you think didn’t get a fair crack of the whip at Sunderland?

Was Will Buckley that bad ?
Could Sterling have made a difference last season ?
Was Medina ever good enough?
Did O’donavan just need time ?

I’m going to get battered here but Scocco is a good footballer. Giacherrini was imo written off unfairly having never been utilised properly, but my main one is Tobias Hysen. (Edited as true story outlined in the thread, read it after posting)

And of course the obvious one, Thomas Helmer. Bloke came in and wanted to make a few suggestions on making the club more professional. Reid took the side of Saxton who was a glorified Mickey From Rocky, and off back to the champions league he went as we went to Annabelles on the lash.

Last edited:
Genuinely can't remember a Buckley performance for us. Only remember that Johnson goal at the Wongadome

He was home sick and didn't want to be here. Given a lot of time off because of it by Keane and the club let him got relatively cheaply because of it.

Everyone thought Keane kept dropping him and didn't rate him at the time, but it was explained later.

Didn't seem homesick later in his career like.

That’s good to know. Always liked him, pleased he wasn’t unfairly treated.

I’m going to get battered here but Scocco is a good footballer. Giacherrini was imo written off unfairly having never been utilised properly, but my main gripe, and something I still haven’t forgiven Keane for was forcing Tobias Hysen out.

And of course the obvious one, Thomas Helmer. Bloke came in and wanted to make a few suggestions on making the club more professional. Reid took the side of Saxton who was a glorified Mickey From Rocky, and off back to the champions league he went as we went to Annabelles on the lash.

Scocco had good technique but he was too soft for the position that we were in.

Giaccherini had no pace & in general wasn't what we needed imo. Couldn't take the ball forward properly as he had no pace to beat his man. He was heartless in afew of his performances here too. Sure it was Hull in the cup where he just walked about.

N’Dyie (that’s not how you spell it

First touch like a trampoline unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s good to know. Always liked him, pleased he wasn’t unfairly treated.

Shame like as i quite liked him. Seemed to have a few quiet seasons on his return to Sweden then really hit form though I think he may also have been playing centrally at times. Think he also scored against Juventus in the CL.

Buckley was absolutely horrible. How many goals did the opponents score while he was standing with his hand in his side, because he felt a throw in should have been given to him?

Back