Gin....

Juniper is the only botanical which is in all gins. The cones of the juniper bush (often referred to as “juniper berries”) are required by legal statute, to be present and perceptible, in order for a spirit to be called gin. Juniper is in 100% of spirits that are designated as gins. 🤔
I thought that too, but a pal of mine who lives on Islay said no Juniper, seems he might be right as they are not in the list of Botanicals
I thought that too, but a pal of mine who lives on Islay said no Juniper, seems he might be right as they are not in the list of Botanicals
my mistake it's number 9

Last edited:

Remember 10 years ago when nobody drank gin. It’ll not be the “in thing” anymore & people will go onto something else instead. Rum bars are the next big thing.
people have being saying the next big thing will be run for ten years!

Mind, I hope it is, I love the stuff

Some people just want to shorten their lives, gin for Christ's sake made popular to make big money and to poison the drinkers, to kill off the evidence. Not at all clever. I knew some gin drinkers and would know them still, if the bloody gin had not seen them off.

I'd say even the different aldi gins have something different to Gordon's, plenty variety even at bottom range.

I've posted before that I once did a taste test, Gordon's and aldi standard gin. Same measure, same ice, same tonic, side by side. Very little difference, doubt I could have said which was which in a blind test.

Some people just want to shorten their lives, gin for Christ's sake made popular to make big money and to poison the drinkers, to kill off the evidence. Not at all clever. I knew some gin drinkers and would know them still, if the bloody gin had not seen them off.
Aye mate, I agree purveyors of poison for the masses these gin producers.
Despite that I'm still partial to the odd decent G&T but nobody will be getting rich off my level of consumption and it won't weaken me ;)

Aye mate, I agree purveyors of poison for the masses these gin producers.
Despite that I'm still partial to the odd decent G&T but nobody will be getting rich off my level of consumption and it won't weaken me ;)
Nothing wrong with anything in moderation. From what I am seeing now, the kids do not realise the strength of the stuff. It's true what I said about the friends I have lost because they got too used to the stuff. One of them told me that I couldn't handle my drink because I am a moderate user. White wine, dry, crisp and fruity is my poison three glasses, three nights a week.

Whilst the quality of the gin is paramount, the quality of the tonic is massively important. I was always a slimline Schweppes bloke but Fever-Tree tonic.. different ball game. Gordon’s and Fever-Tree all day for me.

Back