Getty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seems there's trouble brewing.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/36054...-1-billion-lawsuit-is-based-on-misconceptions

Have I understood this correctly? Getty are demanding fees from people who have used images that are free and in the public domain, and that Getty have no ownership of the photographs and aren't working for the photographer?
I read that it was just a woman suing them for using her images

In fairness to Getty no doubt it was passed to them as belonging to someone else

The billion dollar thing obv just a publicity stunt, the photo prolly made 50 usd for them

Amusingly she found out when Getty told her she was illegally using her own photo

The billion dollar thing obv just a publicity stunt, the photo prolly made 50 usd for them

I thought that at first, however I read another article in which it stated how they came to that figure and it was based on "damages" given in a previous smaller law suit. I'll see if I can track it down.

Amusingly she found out when Getty told her she was illegally using her own photo

Quite, wonder how much Getty have made using other photographers material in this way?

Good luck to her. Should be a criminal offence if it's true they are ripping off other artists work to such an extent.

18,000 of her images alone, makes you wonder how many other free images Getty are charging for and pocketing all the proceeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back