October 2020 - Getting worse across Europe.

Seriously?

You're showing yourself up now.

There's no valid reason not to use the AZ vaccine other than a stubborn refusal to admit that it actually works.

It will cost lives. And you call me thick?

You are calling the EU thick, lets be honest nobody has a clue it will take a good while yet to sort out the effects of various different vaccines.

Read a lot about Israels roll out being the best in the world so checked their figures expecting to be impressed,very disappointing tbf.Not sure what vaccine they are using and not suggesting it isn't working just expected a lot better,they could be fully opened up which makes a difference.
Their case numbers and hospitalizations have plummeted

I just checked the last 7 days and the deaths per million population,i just thought the figures would have would of been better considering.Great figures then if they're living without restrictions etc.
You need to compare the figures by vaccinated versus unvaccinated and by who was first vaccinated

You need to compare the figures by vaccinated versus unvaccinated and by who was first vaccinated
Portugal's barely stated vaccinating,its cases and death total yesterday bettered the UKs yesterday,its 7 day number of cases is better than the UKs,deaths are only slightly higher,its only 5-6 weeks into lock down,the UK is 5 months in and has at least a months head start in vaccinations.

what is the scale of the problem here, the article suggests there might be 100 deaths of the 120,000+ where covid was a ‘contributing’ factor
It’s much more than that, much more. At the start of this last year a couple of managers at local nursing homes were upset that the cause of death of residents was being put down as Covid when it clearly was not the case. I don’t know if that was resolved but our family personally know of four more recent examples of this happening. Baffles me as to why the powers that be want this but there’s no doubt it’s been happening from the start.

It’s much more than that, much more. At the start of this last year a couple of managers at local nursing homes were upset that the cause of death of residents was being put down as Covid when it clearly was not the case. I don’t know if that was resolved but our family personally know of four more recent examples of this happening. Baffles me as to why the powers that be want this but there’s no doubt it’s been happening from the start.

You can look at it from two sides. If you don’t include people who had covid but didn’t die of it then you can be accused of hiding the number of deaths and not taking it seriously enough. If you include everyone who had covid at some point then you catch deaths where covid may have contributed to the death even if it wasn’t the direct cause. So it kind of balances out to some extent.

Portugal's barely stated vaccinating,its cases and death total yesterday bettered the UKs yesterday,its 7 day number of cases is better than the UKs,deaths are only slightly higher,its only 5-6 weeks into lock down,the UK is 5 months in and has at least a months head start in vaccinations.
What’s Portugal got to do with Israel? Are you just on an anti-UK rant and throwing the baby out with the bath water? The current UK government have got plenty wrong so there is no need to twist the narrative. The evidence is increasing that the UK vaccination programme is going very well. The main reason for that is the infrastructure within the NHS, other medical support areas, the military and to a degree UK research. All of the above are things the tories are ideologically opposed to and have systematically over decades tried to dismantle. The Oxford research team is in place directly because of funding and support from the last time labour were in government. The one dose strategy -although controversial and risky - did have some scientific basis. Additionally it looks like the government have been interfering in the incredible rates of vaccination because certain areas - mostly more traditionally left leaning - were getting ahead. And that interfering simply reduced the overall number of vaccinations achieved for a couple of weeks.
Whatever happened with the AZ vaccine and the EU it is clear that certain countries and politicians have muddied the waters in order to politically cover their arses. This is now going to result in deaths that did not have to happen. The EU via the EMA approved the AZ vaccine for all adults.
In summary - not everything that happens in the UK is bad and not everything that happens in the other European countries is good.
Oh - btw I don’t live in the UK.

Back