October 2020 - Getting worse across Europe.

From today's Gaurdian.

"Four out of five of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine doses delivered to EU countries are yet to be used on a patient, a Guardian investigation has found, as the German chancellor Angela Merkel admitted to an “acceptance problem” among Europeans being offered the vaccine.

Using data extracted from the European Centre for Disease Prevention Control (ECDC) and other official sources, it is estimated that 4,849,752 of the 6,134,707 doses distributed among the 27 member states have not yet been administered".

Crazy
I live in Czech Republic and the vaccine roll out is dire! The supply just isn’t there. The government has been begging other countries to lend them vaccines until ours arrive but they’ve refused. Germany offered 8 hospital beds instead. FFS!
EU vaccine program is an absolute joke.
UK have absolutely nailed it!

I live in Czech Republic and the vaccine roll out is dire! The supply just isn’t there. The government has been begging other countries to lend them vaccines until ours arrive but they’ve refused. Germany offered 8 hospital beds instead. FFS!
Are the Czechs refusing to take the AstraZeneca in your experience?

Similar here - Supply is the main issue - AZ EU production [in Belgium] is well behind schedule

Italy is crying out for doses - here in Lombardy there is a high % of OAPS registered and waiting on available doses

Meanwhile cases are on the increase again after 3 stable weeks - Theres a mini outbreak 30 miles away from me :(

Similar here - Supply is the main issue - AZ EU production [in Belgium] is well behind schedule

Italy is crying out for doses - here in Lombardy there is a high % of OAPS registered and waiting on available doses

Meanwhile cases are on the increase again after 3 stable weeks - Theres a mini outbreak 30 miles away from me :(
They have plenty of AstraZeneca but are not using it. Is that true?

"Four out of five of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine doses delivered to EU countries are yet to be used on a patient, a Guardian investigation has found, as the German chancellor Angela Merkel admitted to an “acceptance problem” among Europeans being offered the vaccine.

Using data extracted from the European Centre for Disease Prevention Control (ECDC) and other official sources, it is estimated that 4,849,752 of the 6,134,707 doses distributed among the 27 member states have not yet been administered".

Sad situation. They 'spun' the facts to save face and now AZ vaccines that could save lives are not wanted by the people who need them. Other countries are crying out for them but being ignored. Sheer madness.

Last edited:

Sad situation. They 'spun' the facts to save face and now AZ vaccines that could save lives are not wanted by the people who need them. Other countries are crying out for them but being ignored. Sheer madness.
Although the poster Joop, in the post above yours, says he has heard nothing about this rejection of the AstraZeneca. All a bit odd.

The Germans and Macron spreading disinformation and fake news about the vaccine to a population that was already very "anti-vax".
Wonder how many lives it will end up costing.
France now spending money trying to convince people to take the AZ vaccine. Absolute shambles across the channel at the moment.

I think a lot of it is partly to do with uptake and distribution.
France for example had 7.7m doses so far, but more than half are sat in cold storage.
Italy are a little better, but still a quater of the 4.5 million doses that they have, haven't been given out.

Last edited:
The Germans and Macron spreading disinformation and fake news about the vaccine to a population that was already very "anti-vax".
Wonder how many lives it will end up costing.
France now spending money trying to convince people to take the AZ vaccine. Absolute shambles across the channel at the moment.

I think a lot of it is partly to do with uptake and distribution.
France for example had 7.7m doses so far, but more than half are sat in cold storage.
Italy are a little better, but still a quater of the 4.5 million doses that they have, haven't been given out.
For Italy thats all Pfizer vaccine - and so distribution is more challenging - though 3.7 Million doses have been given which is not bad given the logistics
There are currently no AZ doses in the system is my understanding [and I'm not hearing any debate on the merits of different vaccines] - folk just want a vaccine esp for their elderly

I always thought Europeans were different to us.

They live differently to us in the UK. They act differently to us. They think differently to us.

This proves it.
Or it actually proves they are the same as us. It doesn't take much to drive vaccine scepticism. Imagine if it had been the other way round and Johnson (and not Macron) had rubbished a French vaccine that was being administered in the UK. The Daily Mail and the Express would have been slagging off the 'froggy' vaccine and thousands of their sheep readership would be refusing to have it. Look at how in the 90s MMR uptake was massively dented by the Andrew Wakefield paper and that was in the days before widespread internet or social media. Its easy to whip up a storm against these things whether justified or not.

Did they offer an explanation?
No idea mate. I just read a news report which said they offered hospital beds instead.
Thanks for linking that. 100,000 doses is a huge amount to be honest. Only done about 500k so far so it’s a big increase.

Last edited:
Or it actually proves they are the same as us. It doesn't take much to drive vaccine scepticism. Imagine if it had been the other way round and Johnson (and not Macron) had rubbished a French vaccine that was being administered in the UK. The Daily Mail and the Express would have been slagging off the 'froggy' vaccine and thousands of their sheep readership would be refusing to have it. Look at how in the 90s MMR uptake was massively dented by the Andrew Wakefield paper and that was in the days before widespread internet or social media. Its easy to whip up a storm against these things whether justified or not.
but it wasn't the other way round was it so your post is pretty much irrelevant.

Back