Getting rid of rats

I've had an issue with my garden, next door been cutting down his trees etc so think they must have been disturbed, not sure if mice or rats. I am in the middle of building some decking, so to prepare in advance i have bought some of this to put around the decking so no little rodents can get under. Its going on top of old paving so not an issue if they were to burrow. Also its stainless steel not galvanized which is better.

Had a few rats in a warehouse that were making a nuisance of themselves.

Lads got a plastic oil drum and cut the top off.
Laid a plank up to the rim.
Put a rod across the top through a coke can and covered it with peanut butter.

Rats come up the plank, reach for the can and fell into the barrel.

Got about 40 in one night!

Don't know what they did with them (petrol?) but it stayed for a while and still caught the odd critter at night.

Like this

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread but....Been tidying up and painting a mates flat who has been in Milton Keynes since lockdown. He told me to take his air file and targets to amuse myself during lockdown.

My question is, can I walk around with an air rifle until I find a secluded spot down a bridle way etc and then fire at a few targets? The rifle will be in a case all the way, is that acceptable/allowed?

Get a plastic humane Rat trap bait it with diced snickers or mars bar... peanut butter works but its messy. When you got it captured fetch it in at 5 pm for the Corona update by the usual bunch and it will die boredom and bullshit before it ends as rats are quite intelligent.

Tie it up in a black plastic bag and burn it Ive had a fetish for torture since watching Bridge over the River Kwi years ago..

A great big evil sumbitch of a rescue cat

:lol:
Anyone got experience of getting rid of rats from a garden?

A rat burrow keeps appearing in the vegetable patch and under the decking - and spotted one of the buggers the other week.
Had pest control out a few times, but it's just reappeared and I don't want to have to keep forking out.
So was thinking of trying to treat it myself for while, to save a few quid if possible.

Any past experience and recommendations of good products to use?

when I used to work on a farm back in the day the boss owned a Jack Russell that used to kill rats and feral cats on the daily

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread but....Been tidying up and painting a mates flat who has been in Milton Keynes since lockdown. He told me to take his air file and targets to amuse myself during lockdown.

My question is, can I walk around with an air rifle until I find a secluded spot down a bridle way etc and then fire at a few targets? The rifle will be in a case all the way, is that acceptable/allowed?

Shave their beards off, cut their waistcoat up, hide their notebook and make them drink lager.

You can't shoot on any public land, and if you're going to shoot it on private land get permission first.

Back