Getting rid of rats

Not sure if rats would work, but if you have a dormouse issue, do what the dirty fuckers are doing on Bizarre Foods in Croatia on the tele at the minute - hoy them in a bap and eat them

The best way to keep rats away is to catch a live one and dip its head in dark blue paint and let the paint dry on the rat before you let it go.
It works great because all the other rats scatter away from the painted head rat.

They think it's a copper. ;)

My mate had a small holding with some pigs in Shropshire and lots of rats. He got a fantastic Jack Russell that could zip in to the sty and knock off half a dozen rats before they even realised that they were under attack.

As a good a ratter as he was he just kept on top of the problem because I am sure that as the local rat population went down others just moved in as to the rats those pigs were a big attraction. The logic was if you got rid of the pigs the rats will go elsewhere to find some pigs. So if you get some pigs and keep them for a few months then get rid of them the rats will go.

Anyone got experience of getting rid of rats from a garden?

A rat burrow keeps appearing in the vegetable patch and under the decking - and spotted one of the buggers the other week.
Had pest control out a few times, but it's just reappeared and I don't want to have to keep forking out.
So was thinking of trying to treat it myself for while, to save a few quid if possible.

Any past experience and recommendations of good products to use?

Legal way - Find the hole, decking etc block of poison, in hole and block up hole.
Check daily and if poison is gone good news, but keep repeating daily as need 5-6 days.
Amazon sell the blocks very cheap as well and they always work. The rentakil ones are expensive but both work. I prefer these to the grain types as no risk to birds unless you have an almost vertical hole to pour down.
Illegal and cheap way shredded broken glass in peanut butter.

Make sure everything is covered though and keep checking, baiting.
I would do it for you free if I lived near you.
Rats, Mice, Moles, Wasps, Squirrels, Magpies and Crows - @Swindon On Tour the mole skinner :lol:
This is what I was mainly thinking. Although not sure which one.
I asked the pest control fella what he recommended for a DIY effort, and his unsurprising answer was... no domestic products work, take a year-long contract with him :D

Don’t pay for this you will be ripped off.
Easy to do it yourself mate.

Last edited:
Had a problems with rats in the last couple of weeks bought this on Amazon shared with a couple of neighbours. Currently 8 days rat free.

Pest Expert Rat Killer Poison 1.5kg - Formula 'B+' (15 x 100g) - Fast Acting Maximum Strength Single Feed Brodifacoum
Does the poison not just drive them to water? I have a pond in the garden so might defeat the point

Does the poison not just drive them to water? I have a pond in the garden so might defeat the point
When the poison takes hold they develop a thirst for water but it's too late for them. I've seen the odd rat struggling to make the pond while on its last legs. The .22 takes care of them. For anyone living in a rural environment it's just part of life and needs constant vigilance cos they never go away.

Back