Getting put on PIP at work

If one lands on your doorstep just go on the sick for a few months with stress. That'll put them off pushing you in any way for a good while at least. Chances are your job may change within that time or they'll be expected to move you into another role that helps you return.

Last edited:
If one lands on your doorstep just go on the sick for a few months with stress. That'll put them off pushing you in any way for a good while at least. Chances are your job may change within that time or they'll be expected to move you into another role that helps you return.
This plus accuse someone of misconduct. Pick on someone fat with bad skin.

Identify as something. I’m not sure what but just look at the Daily Mail website for tips.

What sort of attitude is that, anybody who did that in response to a performance measure is the exact type of person you wouldn’t want in a business. Not sure if it’s in jest that you say but people seem to do it though.

I’m not talking about people who become genuinely ill with stress and anxiety, but those who use it as a practical measure.

The people who are objecting to performance plans, and suggesting they’re pre-decided exit routes for employees, what is the alternative to them? Never sacking anyone, or just dismissing because you feel like it? We’ve developed a society where stuff like this is rightly in place.

People have got to be given every chance , it’s what we expect, and most often anyone who goes on a PIP will know to expect it in advance.

Business’ don’t want to hire and then lose people, and anyone who goes on a PIP and comes back with a positive attitude and determination to succeed has every chance of being kept on and then progressing.

Last edited:
Personally not seen people come back from it - always been a means to manage someone out.

Maybe too at a deal to leave that suits everyone.

What sort of attitude is that, anybody who did that in response to a performance measure is the exact type of person you wouldn’t want in a business. Not sure if it’s in jest that you say but people seem to do it though.

I’m not talking about people who become genuinely ill with stress and anxiety, but those who use it as a practical measure.

The people who are objecting to performance plans, and suggesting they’re pre-decided exit routes for employees, what is the alternative to them? Never sacking anyone, or just dismissing because you feel like it? We’ve developed a society where stuff like this is rightly in place.

People have got to be given every chance , it’s what we expect, and most often anyone who goes on a PIP will know to expect it in advance.

Business’ don’t want to hire and then lose people, and anyone who goes on a PIP and comes back with a positive attitude and determination to succeed has every chance of being kept on and then progressing.

Could just save all that hassle and go with my option. Same end result usually.

At ours it’s spelling the end.

I’ve known those who’ve come back from it but few and far between.

Mainly because if you can’t meet minimum standards then you really should be out. Because said minimum is really easy

It's a tough one when it's out of your control. I guess you have to or you might find yourself on one.

I would maybe sit down and explain why to the impacted personal and say it's not a punishment but an opportunity to get on track and potentially a head of the curve.

I worked with a person who got out on one. Really smart, work was excellent but he was alway on a shit list for non submission of time sheet, or not chasing his clients for bills, not being up to day of his sign off tax return stats (even though he has done them). Although trivial, he bucked his ideas up and got of the shit lists, withing 12 months he was promoted.

If it's don't right and constructive it can help.

Is the owner the type to hold a grudge even if they do pull things together? If not then do whatever you can to mediate to situation so it doesn't come back on you.

I wouldn't like to have to do it mind
Just realised my grammar is all over the place there. Need a longer edit window.
Good points....its more to do with personalities, punctuality...they aren't trained or experienced in certain areas which they weren't recruited for. Not their fault as they were brought in for sales -

With a good employer it's genuinely intended to try and get an employee back on track rather than moving immediately to a capability dismissal.

I've seen people respond well to the structure and seriousness and come out of the other side working really well and never be a bother again. I've seen others not, and then when it does come to an exit at least we tried and gave them the chance.

With a good employer it's genuinely intended to try and get an employee back on track rather than moving immediately to a capability dismissal.

I've seen people respond well to the structure and seriousness and come out of the other side working really well and never be a bother again. I've seen others not, and then when it does come to an exit at least we tried and gave them the chance.
I got one back on track who'd been knocked off course by things in his personal life. Others have been less successfu,l but I've given them every opportunity.
The absolute worst outcome is a manager who goes through the motions to satisfy those who have been complaining and says 'They've been through a PIP' but have neither improved them or sacked them and just moved the problem further down the road.
I know of one bloke who had three PIPs under three different managers but was still there. Eventually got made redundant.

sounds like something you only get in offices there mate ,as a gadgie doing manual graft on building sites I've never heard of a PIP iirc there .In my place if there are any slackers or time wasters messing aboot with cans of monster and rollies I take them to one side , give them the biggest rollocking of their life and threaten to take their face off if they carry on like they are .Normally does the trick anarl

Back