Getting over a break up

Fuck her, and get on with your life looking after yourself for a while. Stay clear of women for a while and get stuck into some good sessions with your pals, do a few of those things you probably couldn’t because of the ball and chain around your neck.

Look after No1!

Split up with my long term partner a few weeks back now and have been really struggling since. Last November was the climax of about 5 years of depression relating to childhood trauma and took the plunge and went to docs and was provided with 200mg of sertraline which has been very effective in improving my mood. Unfortunately the side effect of the sertraline was a decrease in libido which partner was not happy about. She wanted me to stop the sertraline as it was having a negative effect on her which I thought was not very understanding but let it go.
Then 3 weeks ago I was very tired from work and rejected her advances, she then went crying to her mums and ever since I've had a barrage of abuse from her family and friends.

Don't really know what to do now as have been sat in the house for weeks other than the gym and work.

Other than the usual "inbox me hun" or "bucking another wad" has anyone been in a similar position that can offer any advice?
unfortunately I doubt that there is much you can do about it except get back on the horse. If youre sitting all day thinking about it and talking about it it'll do you no good at all but its hard when you become that infatuated with someone. I did much the same after I was divorced but went on the piss, acted the twat, someone else found me and that was that. What youre doing now wont help you at all so you need to stop doing it. also IMHO unless its absolutely vital I'd get off the medication and start to help yourself. Its clearly not doing you any good.

Might be a bit heartless but from experience thats the way I did it - although I wasnt on any medication.

Its 2.48 pm, its a sunday, the pubs are open and I suggest you saunter down to one.

Edit - oh, and youre best of rid. there is someone else out there for you. Also what her family thinks of you means zero. They are simply taking her side and would switch back if she went back to you but it seems to me that you are better off rid.

Last edited:
Try another medication. Sertraline was the worst for me for sexual side effects. Within days of popping mine I was struggling to get a Mr Stiffy. Switched to Citalopram and things were much better.

Try another medication. Sertraline was the worst for me for sexual side effects. Within days of popping mine I was struggling to get a Mr Stiffy. Switched to Citalopram and things were much better.

I'm also on citalopram and my libido is fine. Well the solo stuff is, still needing Tinder to come good for me. (Haway Maria 46 in Camden this evening).

Well worth another visit to the docs Lionel. Even if it's not to fix it for your ex, it's a good thing to still have moving forward. Ultimately your head health is more important though.

CBT, mindfulness, exercise, a better diet etc are all good things that can provide a little extra help. Counselling and therapists are always worth looking at.
We all need some help every now and again.
Good luck marra.

Change your anti depressants and keep in touch with your ex. She'll still love you, you just need to straighten your head.
Nothing is certain, not least you splitting up, it's never too late to mend

Change your anti depressants and keep in touch with your ex. She'll still love you, you just need to straighten your head.
Nothing is certain, not least you splitting up, it's never too late to mend
I wouldn’t be encouraging the op to keep in touch with an ex who wanted to him to come off his meds to satisfy her needs...that’s not the kind of person anyone needs in their lives.

I wouldn’t be encouraging the op to keep in touch with an ex who wanted to him to come off his meds to satisfy her needs...that’s not the kind of person anyone needs in their lives.

I see what you mean, but we don't know if they loved each other.... Long term relationship may suggest they did, but might have been tough on all sides. I didn't say come off the meds, I said change them.....

Back