Getting out of the habit of going to football

I know lads that were season ticket holders, going to home and away games religiously for years, that no longer go to watch us. A lot of them stopped going over the course of the last 10 years or so because of the way the club has been managed. Talking to them, there’s a common feeling that once they stop going to the match, they get out of the habit and it stops being something that they just do.

I wonder if many people will drift away after this situation with the pandemic ?

I know lads that were season ticket holders, going to home and away games religiously for years, that no longer go to watch us. A lot of them stopped going over the course of the last 10 years or so because of the way the club has been managed. Talking to them, there’s a common feeling that once they stop going to the match, they get out of the habit and it stops being something that they just do.

I wonder if many people will drift away after this situation with the pandemic ?
I miss the crack with mates before and after in the pub rather than the football itself which has, mostly, been the worst part of the day out.
We might see a drop off next season but if the owners, management and players get it right on the pitch the support will be there again

Not the opposite? It’ll be a novelty again. It’s not as if many will miss sitting in the house on a Saturday afternoon whereas they lads you spoke about would have likely found things to do that they considered to be enjoyable.

If anything, I think people will be desperate to get back to some sort of normality that crowds might even rise if and when we get back to live football. It's only been 2-3 weeks but am itching to get out of the house

Yes. Unless there is a winning habit, the ritual of thousands shelling out £25 for a ticket to watch utter shite has been broken. As a society, we are being deprived of many things at present, and football is well down the list. After this clear demonstration that there are many more things that matter more than football, only those who truly have no life away from the SOL will return come-what-may.

I've been thinking a lot about this. To begin with, I really missed the games but, over time, I've come to value the time away. I have more mental space now that I don't spend so much time fretting about my beloved team.
I'll be back, of course.

First game back will be unbelievably emotional. Not just for us but for any team.
But also - as someone's mentioned already - people will be desperate to get out of the f***ing house never mind owt else!!

Yes. Unless there is a winning habit, the ritual of thousands shelling out £25 for a ticket to watch utter shite has been broken. As a society, we are being deprived of many things at present, and football is well down the list. After this clear demonstration that there are many more things that matter more than football, only those who truly have no life away from the SOL will return come-what-may.

That last sentence is a bit of a sneering view at our loyal fans mind.

be loads of businesses now shitting themselves that folk will be getting out of their routine which involved spending money at their business, new patterns of behaviour being formed, people taking bait to work for example rather than popping down that café or the burger van etc.

You a Mag looking for a bite with that last line?
Like most I have missed football on a Saturday.
That last sentence is a bit of a sneering view at our loyal fans mind.
I thought he sounded like a cock.

Definitely

Got out of the habit when parkinson appointed. It was a good move....

I’m expecting crowds to be down next season, in the region of mid 20’s as an average

I’ve not missed it half as much as i thought i would!

Back