Getting Older

We have, but its not directly connected with that. We have one of the lowest percentages of people coming into the area, and migrants tend to be younger and have children. Look at Leicester, a booming population, in the top 10 growers, on the back of a significant influx of people.

We also have people of working age migrating outwards over the years, e.g. to London and elsewhere. So it's a double whammy of few arriving and of young people leaving.

Unlike the rest of the UK, Sunderland's population is shrinking and getting older. Even in our own area, we have been overtaken by Newcastle in terms of population numbers within our boundaries. This might mean more space and less overcrowding, but it also means poorer health and the critical mass that we need to make businesses and shopping centres work not being there.
Does a student population count towards it?

Does a student population count towards it?
I don’t think so. Students only count if they sign up electorally and properly settle, although I’m not certain. What I do know is that Sunderland went from a peak of over 300,000 in the 70’s to a low of 270,000 a few years ago. We now seem to be settling at around 278,000, maybe due to house building and slightly better employment prospects.

Apologies for using Leicester again as a comparator, but between 2001 and 2016 it went from 279,000 to 348,000. Arguably too much change and plenty of urban problems a few years ago, but a younger entrepreneurial environment now.

The ironic thing is that we can offer a good balanced quality of life but we are not a city people go through, they either need to be encouraged to come here or perhaps we remain a well-kept but fading secret.

I don’t think so. Students only count if they sign up electorally and properly settle, although I’m not certain. What I do know is that Sunderland went from a peak of over 300,000 in the 70’s to a low of 270,000 a few years ago. We now seem to be settling at around 278,000, maybe due to house building and slightly better employment prospects.

Apologies for using Leicester again as a comparator, but between 2001 and 2016 it went from 279,000 to 348,000. Arguably too much change and plenty of urban problems a few years ago, but a younger entrepreneurial environment now.

The ironic thing is that we can offer a good balanced quality of life but we are not a city people go through, they either need to be encouraged to come here or perhaps we remain a well-kept but fading secret.
There has always been a migrant workforce away from the north east due to the economy’s failings up there. We have the same down here

Student population appears to be coubted hence Oxford and Cambridge being listed

Still a small number in the total population and also maybe not registering.
Yes, although there was a registration drive recently, so this may temporarily inflate the figures. That said, student numbers have been falling back a bit over the last three years.

Student population appears to be coubted hence Oxford and Cambridge being listed

How many students do you think are in both? In both cases, the average age is largely due to the university as an employer, not down to the students, allied to massive growth of science/technology related companies and campuses. They're still transient but largely not students.

How many students do you think are in both? In both cases, the average age is largely due to the university as an employer, not down to the students, allied to massive growth of science/technology related companies and campuses. They're still transient but largely not students.

There is that. People graduate in these places and stay aroubd as huge research hubs

Back