Getting Older

it doesnt point it out and without turning it into a "muzziefest" (hopefully) the places with the lowest averages are where there are generally the largest immigtant populations that generally have more children and at a younger age.

Take out Oxford , Cambridge and London though as transient cities where people mopve out as they get older.

it doesnt point it out and without turning it into a "muzziefest" (hopefully) the places with the lowest averages are where there are generally the largest immigtant populations that generally have more children and at a younger age.

Take out Oxford , Cambridge and London though as transient cities where people mopve out as they get older.

Cardiff and Milton Keynes are slight outliers here as well but, in Cardiff's case, I think that's down to it having a lot of young adults like the three you mention. MK, in the last census, was pretty much dead on the mean for England with regard to population identifying themselves as white British.

Do people move specifically to the Sunderland area when they retire? It's true of both Bournemouth and Worthing amongst the towns/cities mentioned in the article but not sure it applies to all of the other coastal towns.

there is an elemnt in the south east to Norfolk and suffolk. Not too far out fo London for many but a price variable apart.

I knwo a few people who have moved and used the property capital to escape to those areas as they have retired

there is an elemnt in the south east to Norfolk and suffolk. Not too far out fo London for many but a price variable apart.

I knwo a few people who have moved and used the property capital to escape to those areas as they have retired

Do they move to cities or to small towns or villages?

Surprised, I thought we had a lower life expectancy up here.
We have, but its not directly connected with that. We have one of the lowest percentages of people coming into the area, and migrants tend to be younger and have children. Look at Leicester, a booming population, in the top 10 growers, on the back of a significant influx of people.

We also have people of working age migrating outwards over the years, e.g. to London and elsewhere. So it's a double whammy of few arriving and of young people leaving.

Unlike the rest of the UK, Sunderland's population is shrinking and getting older. Even in our own area, we have been overtaken by Newcastle in terms of population numbers within our boundaries. This might mean more space and less overcrowding, but it also means poorer health and the critical mass that we need to make businesses and shopping centres work not being there.

Do people move specifically to the Sunderland area when they retire? It's true of both Bournemouth and Worthing amongst the towns/cities mentioned in the article but not sure it applies to all of the other coastal towns.

Suspect there's an element who will move to SR6.

Back