Getting old

I was 71 last week and still enjoying life. I see my grandchildren all the time, volunteer at the local school, have been in a book group for the last twenty years and we still meet once a month, and am still trying out various crafts I’ve always wondered if I’d enjoy. Basket weaving and weaving fabric next month. I get up to London every couple of months for exhibitions etc and go on holiday with the family. I sometimes wonder how I found time to work. This is the first time in my life I’ve been free to do whatever I fancy and it’s great!
Great use of your time. My eyes are getting worse for really close up work, so I find needlework quite difficult these days, which is sad, as I used to do a lot. London for exhibitions though, I do enjoy.
It’s when I look in the mirror.
I see an old man looking back at me :)
Just put an old photo up the size of the mirror, then clean your teeth, and shave by guesswork. Jobs a goodun.

Last edited:
Today the pain I have been having in my knee for the last few weeks for no apparent reason stopped hurting as much. Disturbingly in substitution it started to clunk to the effect I could feel it with every step ( painless but odd ) and it became audible to others in a crepitation kind of way when moved . Then it stopped after about 3 hours 🤔
Eeeh getting old eh, what's that all about 😆

It's great fun. The wrong side of 50 for some reason appears to give you some sort of slack from others. You get excused for being a daftie with a "Oh, it's his age."

I do struggle with memory. I can't recall simple words, or names of people I've known for decades. It bothers me that my son can see and hear that deterioration.

On the plus side, when I do remember the right words, I'm no longer afraid to hurt people's feelings if I give a straight answer to a straight question. I'll call people out now if they're being an arse because I care less and less about any negative response. It's liberating.

When I told somebody in the pub yesterday night that I was 50 they didn't believe me. I've always liked a drink and smoked since I was 14. The best I've heard is that life is like a toilet roll. The nearer you get to the end the quicker it goes. I had to explain to my eldest lad when he complained about being bored at school that he needed to get a job that didn't allow the time to be bored. Do that for 3 weeks and then you wake up one morning at 50 wondering where it all went. I still attempt to keep up with the little sods running the line on a Sunday.

You have lots of years left, but not many good ones. Well that's what I have been telling folks for years. Also, the sand runs out of egg timers very fast when there are only a few grains left. Cheers.

Where i worked everyone would ask everyone if they had this or seen that so many times a day. My stock answer was normally "Just ask the old man over there, he'll know. ". After working at that company for 18 months imagine my surprise when i found out I was 7 years older. I'm now retired and Old Ed is still plodding along.

I'm 54 in a couple of months, certainly don't feel that old, apparently I look younger and definitely don't act my age as I like a laugh and a joke too much.

One thing I've struggled with over the last 3 years is my weight. Started a new job where I was living in hotels all the time. You know what its like, meals paid for, few pints with your mates every night cos theres nothing better to do.

All came to a head in January when I weighed myself - 17st 14lb. At 6ft 3in, I can sort of hide it a bit, but it was no good. Since then, I've ate healthy and started running with the result that I've lost a stone and a half. Still want a bit more off but I'm getting there.

By the way, if anyone is in a similar situation (working from hotels), can't recommend one of these enough...

Janolia Electric Lunch Box, Portable Food Lunch Heater, Mini Rice Steamer Cooker, with 2 Removable Stainless Steel Containers: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

I'm 54 in a couple of months, certainly don't feel that old, apparently I look younger and definitely don't act my age as I like a laugh and a joke too much.

One thing I've struggled with over the last 3 years is my weight. Started a new job where I was living in hotels all the time. You know what its like, meals paid for, few pints with your mates every night cos theres nothing better to do.

All came to a head in January when I weighed myself - 17st 14lb. At 6ft 3in, I can sort of hide it a bit, but it was no good. Since then, I've ate healthy and started running with the result that I've lost a stone and a half. Still want a bit more off but I'm getting there.

By the way, if anyone is in a similar situation (working from hotels), can't recommend one of these enough...

Janolia Electric Lunch Box, Portable Food Lunch Heater, Mini Rice Steamer Cooker, with 2 Removable Stainless Steel Containers: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
Keep going mate.. You will do it.. Golden rule is burn a few more calories a day than you eat.. Don't diet .. Balance intake with exercise

Back