Getting new windows before selling house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

If the windows were old fashioned sash windows, maybe made when decent timber like oak was commonly used and suited the age and style of the house I would just retain them. If however they were Magnet type windows, cheap as chips, I'd have them out tomorrow. However have you factored in any redec around the frames when they are removed?
Did magnet make Windows

I doubt you'd get your money back.

I was looking at a house once, and between 1st and 2nd viewings, they decided to replace the perfectly fine kitchen with a new one that wasn't especially to my liking, and then asked £10k more for the house. Madness.

Anyone buying a house knows they can get double glazing done very easily, by a firm of their choosing. OR if someone says its a show stopper, you can offer to have it done before completion 90/10 split or something.

Double glazing isn't as energy efficient as we are lead to believe.

It takes years to make your cash back so it'd make more sense to keep the heating on in winter and buy very thick curtains. People are also overly concerned with aesthetics yet there were wooden single paned windows for centuries.

Also when you read about how they are manufactured they actually allow in water hence the drainage holes. I've recently had a leaking one repaired and they're a bag of shite.

Did magnet make Windows
Yes , softwood edgmar windows from what I remember

They do pvc ones to order now ,subcontractored out to a local window company.Chris from Magnet Sunderland (massive NFL fan ffs)subbies it out to Darrren and the boys at JDI.
Cracking quality FYI

Selling a house that is spot on but a bit dated due to the windows not being double glazed. Going to ask when getting it valued in next few weeks what is best, but thought I would ask the wise SMB.

So will spending money on getting all the windows done work out to sell the house for more or just leave it and sell it for less but save on money doing the windows?

Don't choose Windows 10 or you'll have half the SMB criticise for your choice. ;)

Selling a house that is spot on but a bit dated due to the windows not being double glazed. Going to ask when getting it valued in next few weeks what is best, but thought I would ask the wise SMB.

So will spending money on getting all the windows done work out to sell the house for more or just leave it and sell it for less but save on money doing the windows?
Buyers may not like your taste in windows so it could be dead money

I doubt you'd get your money back.

I was looking at a house once, and between 1st and 2nd viewings, they decided to replace the perfectly fine kitchen with a new one that wasn't especially to my liking, and then asked £10k more for the house. Madness.

Anyone buying a house knows they can get double glazing done very easily, by a firm of their choosing. OR if someone says its a show stopper, you can offer to have it done before completion 90/10 split or something.

Windows might be different, but I know what you mean. The people I bought my house from updated the bathroom while under offer. New bath, sink and taps but in old knackered units. They didn't ask for more and we pulled it back out again. Another place we looked at for a second viewing, the old couple said "we will redecorate the spare room for you, we have already bought the wall paper". They then showed us this horrible flowery paper.

I'd much rather have a ch aper house and do what I want with it than pay someone to update it to their taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back