Getting made redundant

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?
Make sure you have a plan mate
Travel, I don't know how your fixed financially but you could look at maybe a couple of months away in the sun in January February, we call them snowbirds
Hobbies
Volunteer work (soup kitchens, coaching youth soccer maybe)
Keep fit, even if you don't join a gym, walking, gardening cycling maybe

Good luck and enjoy

How much do you budget for each year
Last year I travelled extensively,spent maybe $20,000 on travel,my mortgage back home in surrey is minescule,my biggest outlay is university and living expenses for my sons.
How much is a house in Thailand?

Asking for a friend... :D
Your friend if western can’t buy a house in Thailand,he can buy a condo.

Last edited:
I have just survived a round of job cuts at my organization here in Alberta. As we are a Govt. Agency and the Provincial Premier seems to hate Govt employees the latest budget mandated 125 job cuts to our organisation of 670.

The irony is that the cuts are based solely on what the Govt spends on us, But the Govt. expenditure only accounts for 40% f our operating budget, the remainder is earned from private industry projects. Due to archaic procedures they still assume they fund us 100% which hasn't been the case for well over a decade.

Our agency is also supporting new business' and entrepreneurs get their products developed to on to the market. In a place heavily resilient on declining oil and Gas industries, diversifying the economy is more important f the economy.

The non-union lay-offs were last week and the union job lay-off are announced next week. those laid off will leave employment on Dec 23 (sh1tty Christmases all round). :cry:

Make sure you have a plan mate
Travel, I don't know how your fixed financially but you could look at maybe a couple of months away in the sun in January February, we call them snowbirds
Hobbies
Volunteer work (soup kitchens, coaching youth soccer maybe)
Keep fit, even if you don't join a gym, walking, gardening cycling maybe

Good luck and enjoy
Pretty much what Iv'e done in the three years since I retired,always have a holiday booked to look forward too,had a month in Australia that I never thought of doing whist at work,managed to get an allotment which is helps with fitness and good social side plus I help out at with a local footy team.Bit bored the last few weeks mainly due the rain but when I get up on a morning and open the curtains it's nice to know I don' have go out in that weather.

They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
I cannot express enough how envious I am. In fact, I'm so green at the minute that you wouldn't like me (one for the oldies there).

Best wishes and enjoy every single minute of it.

It can be quite an adjustment I suppose.

The emphasis with how to fill your days will be yours rather than your employer/job.

Guess you will have to become more self reliant.

I would say sign up for as many things as you may have an interest in. I think it would be easier to stop doing something subsequently than have to make the effort to engage in an activity that you may have put on the back burner. Manana. Problem is manana may be never come.

Enjoy.

Pretty much what Iv'e done in the three years since I retired,always have a holiday booked to look forward too,had a month in Australia that I never thought of doing whist at work,managed to get an allotment which is helps with fitness and good social side plus I help out at with a local footy team.Bit bored the last few weeks mainly due the rain but when I get up on a morning and open the curtains it's nice to know I don' have go out in that weather.
Yes. That is key. Having something to look forward to. You don't want empty days stretching out into the distance. At least one activity a week would be good.

Find another job if your fit enough retirement is another day closer to death.

Find another job if your fit enough retirement is another day closer to death.
oh thanks :eek:
Attotment was my first thought, I know of one that is available, it needs a lot of work starting with a fence on all 4 sides, I do wonder if its the thought of having a shed with a wood burner, a comfy chair, actually I think that is exactly why I want one, the village has a Man Shed, I might check that out for starters
Yes. That is key. Having something to look forward to. You don't want empty days stretching out into the distance. At least one activity a week would be good.
My only worry is just that

Last edited:

Just carry on leaving the house as normal dont tell the wife you’re retiring she’ll just give you a list of chores to do

Attotment was my first thought, I know of one that is available, it needs a lot of work starting with a fence on all 4 sides, I do wonder if its the thought of having a shed with a wood burner, a comfy chair, actually I think that is exactly why I want one, the village has a Man Shed, I might check that out for starters

I mean it aswell .

makes me laugh young boys who are looking forward to retiring on a healthy pension at 55 /60.eye mate your 35 and wishing your an old man so you can sit in the house ,how bad must your life be .

(not you personally you know what I mean )

I'm looking at retiring in the next 3-4 years, if financially viable. I've been fortunate enough to have worked now for over 40 years and getting a bit tired of it, not so easy getting the creaking body out of bed at 6:15 every morning. Having said that though my main worry is how will I fill the days, will I get too bored? I've thought about what I can do, maybe even a little bit Uber taxi work during the day, can't be arsed with the pissheads at night but the daytime shoppers would be ok. Mainly to fill the time in and still get out and meet people. Think i'll just see how I am when the time comes and how I feel.

I'm looking at retiring in the next 3-4 years, if financially viable. I've been fortunate enough to have worked now for over 40 years and getting a bit tired of it, not so easy getting the creaking body out of bed at 6:15 every morning. Having said that though my main worry is how will I fill the days, will I get too bored? I've thought about what I can do, maybe even a little bit Uber taxi work during the day, can't be arsed with the pissheads at night but the daytime shoppers would be ok. Mainly to fill the time in and still get out and meet people. Think i'll just see how I am when the time comes and how I feel.
Have a look at driving the “fake taxi” .might be worth a try

Can I ask you clever lads (no sarcasm or bitterness intended) what jobs you did that enabled you to retire at 50 with good pensions?
I think a lot of it comes down to luck, like the op has said he got 100k compo into his pension, I no a few people that have retired very early due to ploughing money into share that have gone crazy in there company’s

Do you have a plan? If not I suggest you get one. It's a BIG change and you need to be ready.

Look at volunteer opportunities if that's what you want to do.

Maybe divide each day into 3 parts: AM, PM and Evening. So 21 parts pw. Pencil in activities.

Don't leave this till after you retire, do it now.

Be prepared.

Last edited:

Back