Getting made redundant

Sorry to hear that mate.. Been through this twice in 5 years.. Kept my job but lost a good mate both times.. I felt worse keeping my job couldn't sleep for days.. Sort of wished it was me that was made redundant.. I go on a long run as a hobby.. It helps to clear the mind...
Why ? Didn't you read the OP ?

After 31 years, I am getting my redundancy notice next week
They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
What did my fellow seniors do when they finished work?

Tremendous. I'm very envious.

Brilliant
I've semi retired quite young and found it took me 18 months to get into the groove.
I do some consultancy and teaching for about 2 or 3 days a week, go to the gym and once a week go fishing.
Guess what I'm saying is it can be good to work to help you transition but do something you enjoy where you dont really have a boss...and gives something back using your skills?

They decided that 2 people could do the work of 4, so we were asked to apply for the 2 roles, the one closest to my current role is 6k less, the other one about 2k less, I didn't apply for either, My line manager phoned in a panic to tell me I was missing the application deadline and I told him " I would resent working harder for less money and didn't think that would be fair on the company.
I've about 2 1/2 years until my pension starts, with my redundancy money and savings I will have the same income as now with a bit to spare.then with my private pension I can easily live to my current standard so it wasn't a difficult decision.
I'm looking for something to entertain myself, got grandkids that keep me smiling, a wife (no) to spend a lot more time with, I fish for a hobby.
Bit of a result that by the sounds of things mate. Enjoy it. Get a dog or go lawn bowling or summit. In fact do both.

Have a look at something like Cultural Spring.
There are quite a lot of free (or very cheap) groups and activities that you can try. People with no experience are more than welcome and there's no commitment, dip in and out until you find something you like. You might not think you are a ukulele player, artist or writer but until you give it a go, you'll never know. ;)
That's just one example but depending on where you are based and your interests, there'll be loads more you can look at.

What’s your suggestion? Or do you not have any as usual.
Enjoy his life, take up a hobby, get a pet, travel, do things he enjoys. Imagine coming home to your wife 'hi love, that's it finally I've retired. Brilliant, what are you going to do ? 'get a job.
Because he’s not yet at retirement age. You lazy bastard :D
No but hes at the point he can afford to retire which is the best of both worlds.

Enjoy his life, take up a hobby, get a pet, travel, do things he enjoys. Imagine coming home to your wife 'hi love, that's it finally I've retired. Brilliant, what are you going to do ? 'get a job.

No but hes at the point he can afford to retire which is the best of both worlds.
Seen too many lads retire early and get bored to tears within weeks, got to have something to do

The IM dept I work in went through a major restructuring starting 2 years ago, about 70% off staff went and my job was also made redundant. Many were approaching 55 and had 30+ years service in meaning they were members of the final salary pension scheme and because they were being made redundant could take their full pension at 55 with no penalties. At 42 I was happy to be offered a job and gave up the decent redundancy payment, but I meet up with the lads that all left and basically retired. Not one of them are bored, look much healthier and all have lost weight. They always comment that their days are constantly filled with stuff to do. Best of luck, it going to be f***ing great!
Seen too many lads retire early and get bored to tears within weeks, got to have something to do
Only boring people get bored. So much to do in life rather than work.

It’s now almost six years since Mr Mythos took voluntary redundancy and retired and I followed a couple of months later .
As another poster has already said retirement is the best job I’ve ever and the time has flown over . You will now have time for hobbies when YOU want and not when work dictates.
We’ve enjoyed a few holidays, road tested all the coffee shops locally , get out for walks - there’s always something to do even if it’s just sat in the garden on a beautiful day .
Enjoy your retirement!

That's where having a life comes into it. If people get bored due to not having work it's embarrassing as fuck to me.
Nah, it’s just laziness really. No need for anyone to retire at 65 these days, the state will increase the age to 70 soon enough.
It’s now almost six years since Mr Mythos took voluntary redundancy and retired and I followed a couple of months later .
As another poster has already said retirement is the best job I’ve ever and the time has flown over . You will now have time for hobbies when YOU want and not when work dictates.
We’ve enjoyed a few holidays, road tested all the coffee shops locally , get out for walks - there’s always something to do even if it’s just sat in the garden on a beautiful day .
Enjoy your retirement!
Some people are used to a certain level of business and find it hard when that drops off.

Back