Getting back in shape after time off

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

I'm currently travelling and when I get back to Blighty I'll have been off the gym for three months. I've picked up a little weight but not too much and my muscles are still hovering about to some extent underneath. I've been doing the gym pretty much solid for three years before going away. With these things in mind, will it be a bit easier for me to regain what I had before I went away when I get back? Killing me losing all my hard work. Cheers.

What's the plan then?
Probably hit the gym five times a week until I'm happy with where I am. Can't say I'm looking forward to it... Done it before, though, just after shorter periods or one to two months. To be honest, I'm not in too bad a state, much better than I expected, so I'm confident I can sort myself out.

Probably hit the gym five times a week until I'm happy with where I am. Can't say I'm looking forward to it... Done it before, though, just after shorter periods or one to two months. To be honest, I'm not in too bad a state, much better than I expected, so I'm confident I can sort myself out.
Any particular plan or aims?

I'd have thought that missing up to a month you could resume with about 10% lower weights and a few sessions a week. But after a few months I'd personally take it very steady.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/returning-to-training-after-a-layoff-qa.html/

Any particular plan or aims?

I'd have thought that missing up to a month you could resume with about 10% lower weights and a few sessions a week. But after a few months I'd personally take it very steady.
I'll definitely be lowering the weights for a while but I'm hoping to be able to work my way back up steadily. I'll likely just use my normal schedule with reduced weight and do a bit more cardio along with healthier eating until I can shift a few of the additional pounds I'm sure to have picked up.

Just back from my first session. Not as bad as I feared. Let's see what aches and pains tomorrow morning brings!

Third session out of the way. Feeling good but still a few aches and pains. Weighed myself for MyFitnessPal and I've actually lost weight while I was away - I did have a terrible illness and the shits during the last few days, like!

I'd say I'm already back to the shape I was before. Also, coming back with an aim has helped me focus and I'm actually lifting heavier on a few things than I was before. Surprised at how fast I've clawed myself back into shape.

Happy days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back