Getting an engagement ring

Where the heck do you begin? After finding a partner, of course.

Nee pics
Owa lass showed me the one she wanted long before I asked her to marry me. Gave me time to pay it off. I’m aware this doesn’t help you.

I’d never try to pick one myself, wouldn’t have a clue. Suppose you could ask her & go to pick one together? Or is the point she gets git excited legging it around waving her hand at her mates?

f***ing hell man, I dinnar, why you asking me, I’ve been married 9 years.
Did she eat her own thumb?

Do people still get engaged ?
Always thought it a bit pointless. Me and the wife just got hitched and that was done without fuss.

Our wedding rings were inexpensive silver things that we still have

Most people will tell you to avoid a high street jeweller, which is totally valid as they mark up horrendously for tiny crap stones compared to most independents.

But unless you’re planning on asking for it back to sell on later, or she’s a jewellery appraiser of some sort then it really doesn’t make much difference if she’ll like it.

If you want anything bespoke, gavin Shelley in Durham is a great bloke to talk to. Didn’t use him for an engagement ring but he gave great advice on wedding rings to match and was incredibly good value. His shop is up one of the arcade alleyways.

No idea if he’s an mlf or not.

When did it become acceptable for blokes to wear wedding rings .?

When I was a bairn normal working class(I’m on about proper working class manual workers) never wore wedding rings .Im repeating myself like but it looks absolutely stupid a wedding ring on a bloke .

Do people still get engaged ?
Always thought it a bit pointless. Me and the wife just got hitched and that was done without fuss.

Our wedding rings were inexpensive silver things that we still have
Mine was £30. Never worn jewellery so wasn’t keen, owa lass made me so bought a cheaply. I’d be lost without it now. Not sure whether to get a better one in future. But then that would be a bit jewellery, not my actual wedding ring, which is the point of it.

When I was a bairn normal working class(I’m on about proper working class manual workers) never wore wedding rings .Im repeating myself like but it looks absolutely stupid a wedding ring on a bloke .
Used to think like you, now I don’t. I look f***ing class in my ring.

It started when real men died!

Seriously, surely that was more about not ripping your finger off doing the proper dangerous manual labour back in those days rather than anything else. With proper machinery etc these days it’s less of an issue even for manual workers.

Also, the woman wearing the ring and the man not harks back to the days when men “owned” their woman. Marriage is an equal partnership these days, as it should be.

Last edited:

My dad is in his late 60's and has always worn one. However he was a white collar worker rather than a blue one.

I can see the logic for manual workers not wearing them at work for H&S reasons. But did they not put them on at the weekend?

Years ago when I bought our lass an engagement ring, it was a sapphire (decent enough size) with cubic zirconia imitation diamonds all around it.
Back then it cost about £100.
She loved the ring and the real good thing about it was, it looked like a sapphire with real diamonds. It could quite quite easily pass off as that. I could've made any price up to anyone nosing and only an expert would know it was any different.
The thing is, does it make the engagement any the less real?
Does it make the woman feel cheapened, knowing it's not a real bunch of small diamonds?
She wore that ring for decades until stones were lost through wear and tear and everyday batterings jewelry naturally take if you don't take them off.

I kind of scoped what jewellery the Mrs liked long before I bought one.

The one I bought kept losing one of the stones though :lol: Ended up taking it in exchange for a different one.

Where the heck do you begin? After finding a partner, of course.

Nee pics
4Cs.

Blue Nile.

Order a free ring sizer from weddingrings-direct.com. Nick a ring out of her jewellery box she wears on that finger on the other hand n use it to gauge the size.

Slyly start digging to see what style she likes - criticise summit git garish n see what her comments are. She's bound to drop hints.

It started when real men died!

Seriously, surely that was more about not ripping your finger off doing the proper dangerous manual labour back in those days rather than anything else. With proper machinery etc these days it’s less of an issue even for manual workers.

Also, the woman wearing the ring and the man not harks back to the days when men “owned” their woman. Marriage is an equal partnership these days, as it should be.
You’ve started something now...

Back