Getting a test in Sunderland

No. We couldn’t get one through the normal channels. It was only through my wife’s school who had 8 kits. Just sent off today..too soon to call on turnaround but rest assured I will be back to comment one way or another. I want to be coming back on here to say the testing system works. Do you understand this really important bit?

Results came back 15 minutes ago - negative
2 1/2 days from reciept in the test facility to get results. We were getting worried that it was taking a bit too long but under the circumstances ( reported back log ) so i've got no complaints about the turnaround. 2 kids & a teacher have missed 4 days of school but better to do your bit and be certain.

Yet most people still think they're the best choice for government - they still lead the polls!

I don't believe this for one second.

What's more likely:
A - The labs who tell us they have capacity for 2-3x as many tests as we're actually doing are lying
B - The Tories simply haven't sourced enough test kits

Option B was what Test and Trace told me on the phone when I couldn't get a test for the bairn 2 weeks ago. They said straight up that there is a shortage of test kits.

The labs are probably short of the kit they need too mind.
I can confirm to you with good authority it’s the lab space rather than test kits. Let’s put that one to bed

Yes, I'll take your word - a random person on a message board - over the word of the person on the Covid helpline :lol:

He might have good info though, certainly the covid helpline will be basic and told what to relay. It has always been the case that the Labs were the main logistical obstacle.
Results came back 15 minutes ago - negative
2 1/2 days from reciept in the test facility to get results. We were getting worried that it was taking a bit too long but under the circumstances ( reported back log ) so i've got no complaints about the turnaround. 2 kids & a teacher have missed 4 days of school but better to do your bit and be certain.

My mate got tested 7.15 last night, all cleared today at 12.45. Very hit and miss it would seem.

He might have good info though, certainly the covid helpline will be basic and told what to relay. It has always been the case that the Labs were the main logistical obstacle.
Might be, yeah. But then again, the government line is something that I simply don't trust anymore.
I'm sure the helpline will now tell you its lab capacity if that's the message they have been told to give now. But back 2-3 weeks ago, this wasn't a PR disaster for the tories, and that's what the person on the phone said.

She also went on to explain how the tests come back into stock and how the barcodes on the test kits are released to the IT system once they are delivered to the testing sites, and how this means you need to keep trying to get a slot - which is still the case today.

And this explanation makes more sense to me than a lab constantly replying "yes" or "no" to an IT system every couple of hours. I mean, why would lab capacity be there and then not there every couple of hours? Who cares if the test has to wait an extra 2 hours at the lab - and anyway, they are collected every few hours, before being shipped to the lab. This explanation of why you need to "keep trying" doesn't fit at all.

Last edited:

Back