Getting a test in Sunderland

Got one in Leicester in the end so not too far from us - cost me a f***ing fortune in bribing the bairn to let us get it done though. Test centre was quiet as anything though.

Now we wait for the results. Kids are very pissed off their teachers have emailed me with some homework for them to interrupt their hectic Roblox schedule with!

Over the weekend and this morning houghton and doxford were allowing people with a qr code for other sites still get tested, my appt was for Aberdeen ( 5 hours away ) so both of those sites turned me away and i managed to get a test for Dumfries ( 6 hour round trip )

need the negative test to get my boys back in school (eldest came home Thursday of last week with a cough, was much worse on Friday with a slight temp )

government had months to prepare availability and capacity for schools being back !

Shocking

Mate my mrs was like this for a week before being tested and was positive. Get her a test ASAP mate.
Looked into it.

She doesn't match the symptoms quoted on the website - no high temperature, no cough, no loss of taste or smell. Advises not to continue with the application to avoid wasting NHS resources.

Probably just a cold.

NHS helpline said to only apply for a test if her temperature rises.

No Covid tests available anywhere in the North East today.

No walk in, drive through or home testing.

Nearest test site with tests is in Scotland

Reports of the same across large parts of the UK

If we have no testing we have no track and trace, no safe return to the office, no way of tracking outbreaks in schools

A total shambles

My daughters boyfriend has had a positive test and we wanted to get tested as a result especially as my wife has some mild symptoms. The nearest available test was Aberdeen Airport.

The results of my daughters boyfriends test by the way took 5 days to come through. He is a student and works part time in a well known Newcastle pub. Three or four of his work mates also have tested positive and the venue is now shut for a deep clean.

Remember Boris and Hancock telling us all about their world class track and trace system? Yep that was another blatant lie. You can tell they are lying as their lips move.
Are people still having problems getting tested locally ? A mate of mine got tested in Boro earlier this evening apparently.

When we looked the nearest test centre was Aberdeen airport. We have good reason to be looking for a test. Both my daughters had close contact with someone who has tested positive (took then 5 days to turn his result round mind) and they work as a teacher and safeguarding vulnerable young adults and my wife works in a hospice.

It might surprise some that my wife has never been offered a test once through this despite what she does. It seems the attitude is that the patients in a hospice are going to die anyway...to be fair we all are, but that doesn't mean we want it sooner rather than later.

There is what the government tell us in their statements and then there is the reality.

Last edited:
It might surprise some that my wife has never been offered a test once through this despite what she does. It seems the attitude is that the patients in a hospice are going to die anyway...to be fair we all are, but that doesn't mean we want it sooner rather than later.

There is what the government tell us in their statements and then there is the reality.

I think I heard something similar as well, I think it was something along the lines of an older person with a respiratory illness not getting tested at a hospital, 3 visits in total. I'll check that out again tomorrow , because now you've put in perspective does sound a bit odd.

My daughters boyfriend has had a positive test and we wanted to get tested as a result especially as my wife has some mild symptoms. The nearest available test was Aberdeen Airport.

The results of my daughters boyfriends test by the way took 5 days to come through. He is a student and works part time in a well known Newcastle pub. Three or four of his work mates also have tested positive and the venue is now shut for a deep clean.

Remember Boris and Hancock telling us all about their world class track and trace system? Yep that was another blatant lie. You can tell they are lying as their lips move.

Its a shambles

The Government knew when it told everyone to get back to the office at the same time as schools and universities were going back there would be a spike in demand for tests

They just didn't plan for it

We also knew that we needed a proper track and trace system in place before a second spike

They just failed to do anything about it

They are dreadful incompetent Government who were gifted a massive victory by an even more dreadful and incompetent opposition

Are people still having problems getting tested locally ? A mate of mine got tested in Boro earlier this evening apparently.

They seem to release tests in blocks then throttle them (the sites have capacity - it's the labs that don't) so you can either get no tests available or miles and miles away until you sit and keep refreshing it and get lucky.

Its a shambles
The Government knew when it told everyone to get back to the office at the same time as schools and universities were going back there would be a spike in demand for tests
They just didn't plan for it
We also knew that we needed a proper track and trace system in place before a second spike
They just failed to do anything about it
They are dreadful incompetent Government who were gifted a massive victory by an even more dreadful and incompetent opposition
Yet most people still think they're the best choice for government - they still lead the polls!
They seem to release tests in blocks then throttle them (the sites have capacity - it's the labs that don't) so you can either get no tests available or miles and miles away until you sit and keep refreshing it and get lucky.
I don't believe this for one second.

What's more likely:
A - The labs who tell us they have capacity for 2-3x as many tests as we're actually doing are lying
B - The Tories simply haven't sourced enough test kits

Option B was what Test and Trace told me on the phone when I couldn't get a test for the bairn 2 weeks ago. They said straight up that there is a shortage of test kits.

The labs are probably short of the kit they need too mind.

Last edited:
Yet most people still think they're the best choice for government - they still lead the polls!

I don't believe this for one second.

What's more likely:
A - The labs who tell us they have capacity for 2-3x as many tests as we're actually doing are lying
B - The Tories simply haven't sourced enough test kits

Option B was what Test and Trace told me on the phone when I couldn't get a test for the bairn 2 weeks ago. They said straight up that there is a shortage of test kits.

The labs are probably short of the kit they need too mind.

NHS England sent out emails three weeks ago asking the Lighthouse labs to confirm they could support additional testing capacity expected over the next few weeks. Since then, NHS labs have been having to help them out and there's virtually no feedback coming from Deloitte who are running the Lighthouse operations.

When we looked the nearest test centre was Aberdeen airport. We have good reason to be looking for a test. Both my daughters had close contact with someone who has tested positive (took then 5 days to turn his result round mind) and they work as a teacher and safeguarding vulnerable young adults and my wife works in a hospice.

Not according to the current advice which is don't request a test unless you have symptoms or have been requested by a health professional.

probably got stuck in a spam filter somewhere going off what's happening...

The bloke who helped set up the Lighthouse labs was saying last night that they have enough personnel but their output has dropped from something like 60% to 10%. The number of tests have been fairly consistent, although not targeted at where needed, but we don't fully understand what's causing the block because there's so little info coming back from the private sector labs.

Labour are still in a dire state, even if Starmer looks competent

They still have the EHRC anti-semitism report to deal with (the delay in publication isn't good news), 2 libel actions against Corbyn, a court case between Corbyn fans and Rachel Riley, potential class actions from Jewish members.

And they still haven't persuaded people that they actually have a new policy agenda distinct from Corbyn.

Until they do that they will struggle no matter how crap the Tories are.

Labour need to get the barnacles off the boat before they can make real progress

Yet they want everyone to put their lives on hold indefinitely? If you want a test you should get one.
In a situation where there is a shortage of tests, denying someone with symptoms of covid so that you can get a test when you don't have symptoms is just selfish.

I would advise to make your own internal risk assessment in lockdown situations if just to stay safe and reduce your own Family or personal risk

These next few months is going to be tricky as Covid has much the same symptoms of seasonal influenza. On that basis I would advise a hand held digital forehead thermometer as its far more accurate that a cheap under arm one from home bargains or most they sell in chemist's for under a fiver.

Try and cook your own meals instead of relying on having food delivered again to reduce risk.

Back