Getting a test in Sunderland

Those who've done this - can you just hit refresh on the choose a test site - or do you have to do the whole form again every time? Bairn's cold has now turned into a cough like I was expecting it to so obviously we're out of the game until she gets a negative.
Oooh day trip to Edinburgh being suggested... from Nottingham.
Just constantly hit refresh mate, it took me a full day of me doing it and finally I got us tests.
We literally not long back from ours at Dalton Park.
It was well organised and staff were very polite and helpful.
Just a waiting game now for us, the missus is the worst out of us all so if any of us have it I would say she has it but you just don't know until the results come back

According to worldometers web site we’ve done and continue to do considerably more tests than any other European country and still we can’t meet demand, does anyone know why or can hazard a guess why we have a greater demand than any other European country appears to have

According to worldometers web site we’ve done and continue to do considerably more tests than any other European country and still we can’t meet demand, does anyone know why or can hazard a guess why we have a greater demand than any other European country appears to have
Because the government literally told people to get tested.

Also we’re not carrying out more tests per 1,000 people than every other country and we count tests that have been sent out and not processed as a test, as well as antibody tests.

Are tests limited to people who are displaying all symptoms, or can basically anyone apply for one?

Wonder if there are a lot of people with a cough or a temperature immediately assuming it's covid-19 rather than the usual coughs and colds (not that I blame them, it's a scary time right now)

Saw some arse on twitter stating that "only people who are definitely infected should be getting tested"

eh???

I was talking to someone from Public Health England this week and they were absolutely clear that people should only get a test if a) they are showing the proper symptoms of Covid-19 or b) they have been instructed to get a test by e.g. NHS Track and Trace.

Am guessing it's the new continuous cough which will cause loads of people to get a test which turns out negative, bearing in mind the advice says to get a test if you have any of the symptoms, not a combination of them.

I was talking to someone from Public Health England this week and they were absolutely clear that people should only get a test if a) they are showing the proper symptoms of Covid-19 or b) they have been instructed to get a test by e.g. NHS Track and Trace.

Am guessing it's the new continuous cough which will cause loads of people to get a test which turns out negative, bearing in mind the advice says to get a test if you have any of the symptoms, not a combination of them.
The usual mixed messages then.....

Are tests limited to people who are displaying all symptoms, or can basically anyone apply for one?

Wonder if there are a lot of people with a cough or a temperature immediately assuming it's covid-19 rather than the usual coughs and colds (not that I blame them, it's a scary time right now)

Saw some arse on twitter stating that "only people who are definitely infected should be getting tested"

eh???

There are two issues, firstly for the purpose of Track and Trace people who have Covid-19 symptoms should get a test, secondly people who have cold symptoms are being told by schools or work that they can't come back until they get a negative test.

I think it is the latter that is causing the increase in demand.

There are two issues, firstly for the purpose of Track and Trace people who have Covid-19 symptoms should get a test, secondly people who have cold symptoms are being told by schools or work that they can't come back until they get a negative test.

Read a tweet yesterday about someone who flew to Italy. Got a test at the airport and had results in 30 mins. If it's that simple then why is it so f***ing hard in this country?

Is there even that much of an increase in demand? From what I've seen, the number of tests being done is going down.

The government seem keen to keep it all very vague.

Is there even that much of an increase in demand? From what I've seen, the number of tests being done is going down.

The government seem keen to keep it all very vague.

The BBC news yesterday interviewed several families who had been turned away from a walk-in test center, only one person had symptoms the rest had been told by work or school, not Track and Trace, that they had to get a test before they could go back.

Last edited:
Reminds of the GP who told my Dad they would not refer him for a scan because they 'only send people with cancer or who are seriously ill'.

He eventually paid to get a scan done privately and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died three months later.

On a less morbid note, my missus (no) has had a splitting headache and feeling hot all the time for a few days now. She has now got a slight sore throat. She rang the NHS helpline and was told that as long as her temperature was normal to just keep an eye on the situation.

Fingers crossed, her temperature has been normal these last couple of days but she cannot shake off the headache and the overheated feeling.

Because the government literally told people to get tested.

Also we’re not carrying out more tests per 1,000 people than every other country and we count tests that have been sent out and not processed as a test, as well as antibody tests.

difficult to believe that a plea from Hancock for people to have a test in July has created an excess demand 2 months later in September

yes you are right Denmark and Malta are both doing more tests per 1000 people than we are but that appears to be it and doesn’t answer why we appear to have a significantly larger demand for tests than most European countries

If you send in a home test do you receive notification it has been received or do you just get the result?
I didn't mate. Got confirmation and able to track it's delivery to me but once it went in the postbox I didn't hear anything until the test result. Sent it 4pm Monday and got the results 11am today.

Because people without symptoms are getting tested, despite being told not to.

I haven't had it but I guess this Covid-19 cough is different to a normal cough, the advice is for more than an hour on three occasions in 24 hours.

People aren't even waiting 24 hours.

Reminds of the GP who told my Dad they would not refer him for a scan because they 'only send people with cancer or who are seriously ill'.

He eventually paid to get a scan done privately and was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died three months later.

On a less morbid note, my missus (no) has had a splitting headache and feeling hot all the time for a few days now. She has now got a slight sore throat. She rang the NHS helpline and was told that as long as her temperature was normal to just keep an eye on the situation.

Fingers crossed, her temperature has been normal these last couple of days but she cannot shake off the headache and the overheated feeling.
Mate my mrs was like this for a week before being tested and was positive. Get her a test ASAP mate.

I didn't mate. Got confirmation and able to track it's delivery to me but once it went in the postbox I didn't hear anything until the test result. Sent it 4pm Monday and got the results 11am today.
Ok thanks. Sent mine Monday, was delivered yesterday morning so hopefully tomorrow.

Back