Getting a new fridge and transferring food over

I got one a month ago and thought the same but the fridges are travelling upright in the delivery wagons ( check with driver),I asked the delivery bloke should i wait 5 hrs for the gasses to settle but he said 1hr max, plug in and off you go ,thats what i did no probs,then car back seats down and old fridge to the tip,( dont know if this will be open)
Closed mate. Don't know for how long because people garages will by filling up with DIY shite soon

Same except we had a freezing cold pantry which worked as we got fresh milk delivered daily and it was drank quickly anyway.
Aye we had a pantry with a thick concrete shelf in it that was always cold. It became a makeshift fridge as we didn't have one. Now I've got a built in fridge in the kitchen and a huge fridge freezer in the utility room. How times change

Leave stuff in current one for as long as you can get away with it, then when you need to - take it out and pack it as tightly as you can in your bath and cover with duvets, as soon as the new fridge freeze arrives put all of the stuff into it (before you even turn it on) - keep the door shut until you can start it up.

Aye we had a pantry with a thick concrete shelf in it that was always cold. It became a makeshift fridge as we didn't have one. Now I've got a built in fridge in the kitchen and a huge fridge freezer in the utility room. How times change

I think that thick shelf was standard build in the pantry in most council houses.

Remember my gran getting a "cool box" in the 60s which was little more than a metal box with polystyrene sheets round it.

We don't know we're born these days, etc, etc.

Can someone not buy you some of those foil lined freezer bags at the supermarket? They’ll keep everything frozen for a good few hours

I think that thick shelf was standard build in the pantry in most council houses.

Remember my gran getting a "cool box" in the 60s which was little more than a metal box with polystyrene sheets round it.

We don't know we're born these days, etc, etc.
Yes it was standard. The population boom after the war meant a need for quick and cheap housing all over Sunderland. The big estates were built from more or less the same set of plans which kept costs right down with bulk buying. The houses all had a pantry with the slab as standard. You also got a gas cooker and a big galvanised steel gas washing boiler to boil your clothes in. The boiler had a rubber hose that you pushed onto a gas cock for the gas supply. You then lit it with a match. Can you imagine that being allowed these days?

Last edited:
Yes it was standard. The population boom after the war meant a need for quick and cheap housing all over Sunderland. The big estates were built from more or less the same set of plans which kept costs right down with bulk buying. The houses all had a pantry with the slab as standard. You also got a gas cooker and a big galvanised steel gas washing boiler to boil your clothes in. The boiler had a rubber hose that you pushed onto a gas cock for the gas supply. You then lit it with a match. Can you imagine that being allowed these days?

We had one of the boilers. Rayburn too.

We had coal fired out in the mining villages, living room fire with back boiler and an oven other side of the wall in the scullery, there was a flap in the chimney to change heat direction. Me mam was broken hearted the day they took it out for "modernisation", in the winter we would wrap the solid cast oven shelves in an old blanket to warm the bed, it was shit hot for yorkshire puddings as well. Happy days.

Never let one settle yet. It’s one of life’s myths.
We blew up my beer fridge when we moved to current Hilton Mansions
I put it in the garage, plugged it in but didn't switch it on. Someone else saw it, thought I'd forgotten to switch it on, flicked the switch and it went pop and gave off an awful stink
Fridge furked

We had one of the boilers. Rayburn too.
I don't know what a Rayburn is. I'm guessing it's a fire, gas or coal
Like black cat in France we had a coal fire with a back burner for hot water. It meant that in the summer you had to have a fire blazing away to get hot water. A pretty daft system really. We had gas for cooking though which was a bonus.
My mothers side of the family were nearly all yackers living in places like Houghton, fence houses and Herrington burn. I remember visiting them as a little kid and being fascinated by their oven being on the side of the fire. I suppose with the coal allowance they got it was a money saver for them over a gas oven.

I don't know what a Rayburn is. I'm guessing it's a fire, gas or coal
Like black cat in France we had a coal fire with a back burner for hot water. It meant that in the summer you had to have a fire blazing away to get hot water. A pretty daft system really. We had gas for cooking though which was a bonus.
My mothers side of the family were nearly all yackers living in places like Houghton, fence houses and Herrington burn. I remember visiting them as a little kid and being fascinated by their oven being on the side of the fire. I suppose with the coal allowance they got it was a money saver for them over a gas oven.

Coal-fired water heater/oven/hotplates. Right inside the kitchen back door so you didn't have far to walk for the coal shed.

Our fridge is about two weeks away from giving up the ghost, I reckon, so I’ve got a new one coming for the day we are out of self-isolation.

Given I’ve got a shitload of food in both the fridge and the freezer given how often I can now go shopping, anyone got any ideas for how to make the transfer over? Apparently I have to wait for hours for the new fridge to settle anyway so thats going to be a problem. I don’t have a cool box, just a small bag.
Own up, you’ve got Johnson hiding in there haven’t you.

Do what the Romans did in the old days .. dig a git big hole in your garden and cover it with a roof of straw and earth ... fill it with blocks of ice and the stuff in there will stay frozen for weeks. This worked well even in the Italian summer so you should have no bother.

Back