Get yourself to Bishop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The long room is supposed to be the world’s first purpose built art gallery, ie it was extended specifically to hold those paintings rather than just being a room in which Someone put some pictures up.

I was in there for a christening once and the waitress was opening a bottle of bubbly. The cork flew off and bounced off the wall right between 2 of those paintings. The poor lass went white as a sheet.

Last edited:
Ten years ago I was drinking £1.50 JD and Cokes in Monaco’s in the market place, trying to get served in Innfusion and trying not to get jumped by the charvers who used to wait outside The Sportsman on a Wednesday rock night

How bishop has changed :lol:

Ten years ago I was drinking £1.50 JD and Cokes in Monaco’s in the market place, trying to get served in Innfusion and trying not to get jumped by the charvers who used to wait outside The Sportsman on a Wednesday rock night

some say for the better some the worse

Sportmasn in Merry Monk now and they seem to making a decent go of it

I'm off there in about an hour for a preview look. Some locals have it in for Ruffer but if it wasnt for him this town would be in much a worse state than it is now. The future is bright and locals need to support what is here now rather than moan about what is not.

I'm off there in about an hour for a preview look. Some locals have it in for Ruffer but if it wasnt for him this town would be in much a worse state than it is now. The future is bright and locals need to support what is here now rather than moan about what is not.
In what way do they have it in for him?

In what way do they have it in for him?
The Facebook scratters seem to think he’s running some sort of scam where he’s tricked all the kynren volunteers into working for free while he creams of a massive profit.

Other idiots blame him for the Main Street being on its knees but that’s been well on its way for years.

Some aren’t happy with him having a monopoly on the market place as 1 man controlling everything isn’t great. I can see their point here. Personally I’m not a fan of how he’s bought pubs on the market place and closed them or kept them closed. The nightlife scene is non existent now compared to 15 years ago. It might have been failing already mind but it’s pretty clear he doesn’t want drinkers on his turf.

The Facebook scratters seem to think he’s running some sort of scam where he’s tricked all the kynren volunteers into working for free while he creams of a massive profit.

Other idiots blame him for the Main Street being on its knees but that’s been well on its way for years.

Some aren’t happy with him having a monopoly on the market place as 1 man controlling everything isn’t great. I can see their point here. Personally I’m not a fan of how he’s bought pubs on the market place and closed them or kept them closed. The nightlife scene is non existent now compared to 15 years ago. It might have been failing already mind but it’s pretty clear he doesn’t want drinkers on his turf.

He gave the brewery that owned castles an offer they couldn't refuse on the morning and by early afternoon the same day all 12 staff there didn't have a job. Did the same thing with monacos, and it's no secret the owners of the sportsman are suffering due to some decisions being made by the council. Tin foil hat on they won't let them have a small banner advertising Sunday lunches because it's "out of character " yet the observation thing looks perfectly in character ?? Is he after buying that up next?!? A lot of the businesses he doesn't own have closed or on the verge of closing, away from the market place the pubs are still busy so it's not as if the place was truly dead.

I know people who'd been to kynren this year and last, and it was nowhere near as popular this year. Lots of empty seats and there was lots of freebies given away on the last 2 nights. If it gets worse next year what about his plans for boutique hotels? Or will the postchaise and queens stay shut for another 10 years?

People who live down there need jobs not volunteer positions. He's filled the castle up with apprenticeships on slave labour having laid off properly paid members of staff.

Fair enough having all these art galleries etc, but walk 2 minutes up the street and it's full of boarded up shops and smackrats laid on the floor in the middle of the day. I'm from Bishop so I do hope it works, as it'll be a shame to see it become a ghost town on a rich man's toy town dream. I just think hes alienated a lot of people in the town who he needs to keep onside

It hasn't.

Just the local populace don't frequent the town centre anymore.

It's quite weird there nowadays in a way. Have you been lately?

Suppose everyone is up Tindale now in the new pound shop.

Nothing against this bloke and his project mind.

Pockets of the town and surrounds suffer from significant deprivation.

Areas out towards West Auckland are like stepping back into the pre war years.

It hasn't.

Just the local populace don't frequent the town centre anymore.

It's quite weird there nowadays in a way. Have you been lately?

Suppose everyone is up Tindale now in the new pound shop.

Nothing against this bloke and his project mind.

Pockets of the town and surrounds suffer from significant deprivation.

Areas out towards West Auckland are like stepping back into the pre war years.
Pre war? , what do you expect? It's Wear Valley not Silicone Valley

He gave the brewery that owned castles an offer they couldn't refuse on the morning and by early afternoon the same day all 12 staff there didn't have a job. Did the same thing with monacos, and it's no secret the owners of the sportsman are suffering due to some decisions being made by the council. Tin foil hat on they won't let them have a small banner advertising Sunday lunches because it's "out of character " yet the observation thing looks perfectly in character ?? Is he after buying that up next?!? A lot of the businesses he doesn't own have closed or on the verge of closing, away from the market place the pubs are still busy so it's not as if the place was truly dead.

I know people who'd been to kynren this year and last, and it was nowhere near as popular this year. Lots of empty seats and there was lots of freebies given away on the last 2 nights. If it gets worse next year what about his plans for boutique hotels? Or will the postchaise and queens stay shut for another 10 years?

People who live down there need jobs not volunteer positions. He's filled the castle up with apprenticeships on slave labour having laid off properly paid members of staff.

Fair enough having all these art galleries etc, but walk 2 minutes up the street and it's full of boarded up shops and smackrats laid on the floor in the middle of the day. I'm from Bishop so I do hope it works, as it'll be a shame to see it become a ghost town on a rich man's toy town dream. I just think hes alienated a lot of people in the town who he needs to keep onside

Far from it.

What about the people who have jobs. The lighting and sound guys working on kynren then getting proper jobs on the back of it.

Rome was far from built in a day. Get a couple fob decent hotels and they will employ far more than 12.

He can help but there is an element of people helping themselves

Used to be a class night bish. Laceys, mondos, castles, lennons, monacos, postchase and queens was the route. Then sinbads pizza shop (one oppisite the old bus depot). Well it was class when i was young and daft.

Far from it.

What about the people who have jobs. The lighting and sound guys working on kynren then getting proper jobs on the back of it.

Rome was far from built in a day. Get a couple fob decent hotels and they will employ far more than 12.

He can help but there is an element of people helping themselves

There's not many that will have got full time jobs out of it. Vast majority of the volunteers are school kids or retired, not much call for sword skills on the lines :lol: Although to be fair I know the fireworks team are based in Barny so at least that has been local, but there's only about 5 of them.

The hotels are a big IF, how longs postchaise and queens been shut now? It's pretty hard to be able to help yourself when some multimillionaire comes along and takes away your job like ;) not to mention taking away other businesses that bring people to the area (is champagne bar still open?)
Used to be a class night bish. Laceys, mondos, castles, lennons, monacos, postchase and queens was the route. Then sinbads pizza shop (one oppisite the old bus depot). Well it was class when i was young and daft.
75p drinks in monacos on a Thursday night was class man, those we're the days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back