George Washington hotel - Newcastle?

Harbour Boy

Winger
No wonder Sunderland doesn’t get many tourists when hotels in the city of Sunderland only push newcastlegateshead.

Everything in the hotel was geared towards getting guests to go to Newcastle, not one tour guide informing of what Sunderland/Durham has to offer

I agree, I don't like it. However, hotels are businesses. They don't think first and foremost about the area or its identity, they care about making a profit. Sadly, it is most profitable for them guest wise to "pretend" areas within Sunderland are in fact Newcastle, because few people think we are a place worth visiting.

Just like Luton and Southend market their airports as "London" despite the obvious reality. Still though, I could never accept a Sunderland that only serves to be an appendage or "suburb" of Newcastle.

I agree, I don't like it. However, hotels are businesses. They don't think first and foremost about the area or its identity, they care about making a profit. Sadly, it is most profitable for them guest wise to "pretend" areas within Sunderland are in fact Newcastle, because few people think we are a place worth visiting.

Just like Luton and Southend market their airports as "London" despite the obvious reality. Still though, I could never accept a Sunderland that only serves to be an appendage or "suburb" of Newcastle.
They'd be Civil War.

No wonder Sunderland doesn’t get many tourists when hotels in the city of Sunderland only push newcastlegateshead.

Everything in the hotel was geared towards getting guests to go to Newcastle, not one tour guide informing of what Sunderland/Durham has to offer
What does Sunderland have to offer?

Seaside
Museum and Winter Gardens
Glass Centre
Unique Geology (Tunstall Hills)
Fulwell Mill
Golf Courses
Water Sports at impressive Marina
Ski Slope
Olympic Swimming Pool
Big New bridge
Award winning parks
Empire Theatre, with big enough stage to attract top shows
St Peters Church
Penshaw Monument.
Trafalgar Square.

At least we don't try and claim we own landmarks that are in other city's and Towns... Angel of the North, Metrocentre, Durham Cathedral, Oh and South Shields beach to name but a few...
North Shields is in Newcastle now apparently.

Seaside
Museum and Winter Gardens
Glass Centre
Unique Geology (Tunstall Hills)
Fulwell Mill
Golf Courses
Water Sports at impressive Marina
Ski Slope
Olympic Swimming Pool
Big New bridge
Award winning parks
Empire Theatre, with big enough stage to attract top shows