George Reynolds

He definitely lived at Witton Hall , I’m sure he did a deal with Billy Morgan to keep it out of the clutches of his creditors and Morgan didn’t sell it back to him later on iirc.

Doubt hed have been able to afford a house in holywood like. I never heard any stories he lived up the dales. His daughter definitely lives in the flats on nevilles cross though
I worked on that site when it was just being finished, and the lads on site were saying he had a flat/apartment there.

I can only speak as I find, good mate of mine knew George very well, his missus was a reporter for the Northern Echo, and most of George's stories went through her, good or bad, and when the shit hit the fan he would ' hole up' at their house until things died down, so he was there quite often. When he bought the place up in Weardale, he took my mate up there to show him what he was doing to the place, and my mate admired the huge wrought iron entrance gates, ' they're coming down' says George, cos he wanted something 'fancier' , so my mate protested sayin they were beautiful. A week later my mate was awoken by the noise of a wagon outside his house, pulled the curtains back to reveal a hiab wagon with the gates on, a van with half a dozen men, and a mini digger. They dug out , fitted and hung the gates over the next couple of days, then came and sprayed them, and re-laid the drive because it was disturbed by the fitting. Luckily he had a big enough gaff to take them, but he did it all FOC.
Typical George, he treated his friends very well, but I know of the other side of him as well.
Where was his gaff in weardale?
I can only speak as I find, good mate of mine knew George very well, his missus was a reporter for the Northern Echo, and most of George's stories went through her, good or bad, and when the shit hit the fan he would ' hole up' at their house until things died down, so he was there quite often. When he bought the place up in Weardale, he took my mate up there to show him what he was doing to the place, and my mate admired the huge wrought iron entrance gates, ' they're coming down' says George, cos he wanted something 'fancier' , so my mate protested sayin they were beautiful. A week later my mate was awoken by the noise of a wagon outside his house, pulled the curtains back to reveal a hiab wagon with the gates on, a van with half a dozen men, and a mini digger. They dug out , fitted and hung the gates over the next couple of days, then came and sprayed them, and re-laid the drive because it was disturbed by the fitting. Luckily he had a big enough gaff to take them, but he did it all FOC.
Typical George, he treated his friends very well, but I know of the other side of him as well.
Where was his gaff in weardale?

Yes, Station iirc, fantastic lad, his brother was on trial with the mags but didn’t get kept on, he used to keep us all updated on his progress.

Haven’t seen him since I left the place, no idea what happened to Doug.

Shame the place eventually folded, lots of great lads that worked there.
Arnie Young from accounts was the boy.

He wanted to supply Homeworthy with chipboard at one point. Wouldn’t believe how much we were getting it from Egger for. In the middle of the meeting he shouted one of his salesmen in, chucked some car keys at him. Told him his new company jag was there now run out and get some egg sarnies in for everyone. We never bought owt from him.
We used to supply both Homeworthy and Direct Worktops with adhesives. Never managed to get into Homeworthy but spent many a freezing January on the factory roof in Shildon measuring environmental emissions

He definitely lived at Witton Hall , I’m sure he did a deal with Billy Morgan to keep it out of the clutches of his creditors and Morgan didn’t sell it back to him later on iirc.
Used to deal with Billy years ago when he was doing the care homes, proper character.
Last time I spoke to him was again many many years ago and he was doing some sort of timber recycling I think?

Last edited:

Back