George Orwell's 1984

So just finished reading this tonight. Anybody else read it, did it disturb you how close to the way life is it was. Utterly incredible read.

Written in 1949 was it a commentary on what had just happened or what he foresaw happening? While we don't have the "Tele screen" in your house monitoring everything you do, for most people literally everything you do is or can be traced through the internet and electronically. And there has actually been a scandal about peoples conversations been recorded by their TVs and the contents passed on to third parties.

The average person in the UK is filmed on CCTV 150 odd times a day, if you show "radical" thought in school then teachers must report you to the authorities, is this not a sign of thought control?

I thought it was absolute bollocks when I first read it and actually laughed out loud.

It would make to cry to read it now.

Partly because of how stupid I'd feel but mainly because of how sadly accurate it is.

So just finished reading this tonight. Anybody else read it, did it disturb you how close to the way life is it was. Utterly incredible read.

Written in 1949 was it a commentary on what had just happened or what he foresaw happening? While we don't have the "Tele screen" in your house monitoring everything you do, for most people literally everything you do is or can be traced through the internet and electronically. And there has actually been a scandal about peoples conversations been recorded by their TVs and the contents passed on to third parties.

The average person in the UK is filmed on CCTV 150 odd times a day, if you show "radical" thought in school then teachers must report you to the authorities, is this not a sign of thought control?
It's a fascinating book with all of the subtle nuances you can re-read it and rethink certain elements over and over again. It certainly holds ideas and propositions that fit in with todays society further than just big brother spying on you as well.

Animal Farm as well was a fantastic book and if you haven't read it I would highly recommend you do, on the bare face it identifies the problems within stalins soviet union but it quite eloquently demonstrates the issues thrown up by identity politics and how the political spectrum is more a circle, you can go so far left wing that you start to look and act quite like the traditional far right.

Both fascinating, both incredibly clever.

he'd hate you for starting a sentence with "so"

Nah, my own version of new speak innit ;)

Imo Huxley was far closer to the truth in 'Brave New World'.

Orwell portrays a bleak authoritarian police-state future, where as Huxley portrays one where we're all so pampered and cared-for that we stop giving a fuck about others and let governments do what they like.

It's quite scary how right he was.

Comparison...
"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that our fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us."

I think the "truth" likes somewhere in between and in different parts of the world its different too i guess.....Hitlers Nazi Germany is probably as close as we have got to the Power for powers sake ideology at all costs to be protected at all costs i guess. I havent read Brave New World but will definitely give it a go now.....Your synopsis suggests that there is a lot of what you say in our lives but also there are undoubtedly elements of "The Party" in our lives too, particularly in terms of our movements, the way our every purchase, move, who we contact, what conversations we have is monitored.

Fascinating topic for sure.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

Brilliant line, can't decide if Obrien was pure evil or simply accepting of the inevitability of his situation. Similarly was Wnston not happier once he just accepted the way things were? Does trying to question a system that will never change and you have little influence over really help or does it just frustrate you or make miserable (that goes for today too)

It's a brilliant book, as is Animal Farm.

On the reading list :)

You have just read it? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Try Escape from camp 14. I think you'll like that, if you can't get a hold of it let me know and I'll help you out

:cool:

Sadly yes, never been a big fiction reader tbh....Its worry how many similarities there are to my view of the world that was developed independently of having read it lol

It's a fascinating book with all of the subtle nuances you can re-read it and rethink certain elements over and over again. It certainly holds ideas and propositions that fit in with todays society further than just big brother spying on you as well.

Animal Farm as well was a fantastic book and if you haven't read it I would highly recommend you do, on the bare face it identifies the problems within stalins soviet union but it quite eloquently demonstrates the issues thrown up by identity politics and how the political spectrum is more a circle, you can go so far left wing that you start to look and act quite like the traditional far right.

Both fascinating, both incredibly clever.

Imagine if Orwell had access to the smb politics forum, feck me he would have been written off as a fruit loop, nazi, liberal leftie snow flake and probably all in the same day :lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

I think the "truth" likes somewhere in between and in different parts of the world its different too i guess.....Hitlers Nazi Germany is probably as close as we have got to the Power for powers sake ideology at all costs to be protected at all costs i guess. I havent read Brave New World but will definitely give it a go now.....Your synopsis suggests that there is a lot of what you say in our lives but also there are undoubtedly elements of "The Party" in our lives too, particularly in terms of our movements, the way our every purchase, move, who we contact, what conversations we have is monitored.

Brilliant line, can't decide if Obrien was pure evil or simply accepting of the inevitability of his situation. Similarly was Wnston not happier once he just accepted the way things were? Does trying to question a system that will never change and you have little influence over really help or does it just frustrate you or make miserable (that goes for today too)

Sadly yes, never been a big fiction reader tbh....Its worry how many similarities there are to my view of the world that was developed independently of having read it lol

Imagine if Orwell had access to the smb politics forum, feck me he would have been written off as a fruit loop, nazi, liberal leftie snow flake and probably all in the same day :lol::lol::lol:

Fiction is one of the most accessible ways to expand the mind

Part of my 1973 o level literature reading.
Day of the Triffids
St Joan, George Bernard Shaw.
My memory gives out now on what else.
At college they had us reading Tess of the f***ing d'Urbervilles. :lol:

Aye read it it, actually quite enjoyed it and later went to see it on stage in London. Sad I know.
Jesus, I hated that book. Thought it was dull as dishwater. When I became a teacher I was baffled when I found out there was a list of books they could choose from and our lecturer decided that was the best one to have 17-year-olds read. What a chore and have a deep loathing of Hardy since. :lol:

Jesus, I hated that book. Thought it was dull as dishwater. When I became a teacher I was baffled when I found out there was a list of books they could choose from and our lecturer decided that was the best one to have 17-year-olds read. What a chore and have a deep loathing of Hardy since. :lol:

He's an acquired taste for sure, but I think studying a book for school/college kills the enjoyment a lot of the time. Far too much emphasis on themes and allusions and forgetting that the bloody thing was meant to be read and enjoyed

Absolutely! That thing in animal farm about some being more equal than others is so pertinent. The idea that communism would work just of "I" was in charge of it. Dangerous stuff... predicted years ago by a genius

I read it every couple of years, I have a well thumbed paperback I've had for years, I like to read it and others to remind myself why I hold all authority in such distain - Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Burgess's The Wanting Seed, Ballard's High Rise etc - all a bit bleak - I read Wells and Wyndham and such as an anitdote

Work for the security service after the war and fought in Spain to defend a democratically elected government sadly died to early of tuberculosis a real hero and a Great Britain

Back