George McCartney

Nah, Man Utd and a host of other clubs have
A host of other clubs? Too early to say with pogba. I bet they get some sight of return on him.
But with Ringo we brought him through the ranks, solid him for peanuts, bought him back then released him at the end of his contract. A net loss on a home grown player.

One of a great youth team only bettered by Henderson's team in the last 30 years. Thought George should have gone on to be one of our best players ever, really did have a lot of ability and was disappointed he never made it to the top. Like a lot of young players seem to lose their way when omce getting into the 1st team.

What was everyones thoughts on him in his two spells here.

Reason I ask just bumped into him yesterday in a little bar in moira , Craigavon a little town in Northern Ireland. Standing at the bar having a pint with his missus, (who was nice to look at) didn't approach him like but recognised him straight away. Not one for approaching footballers its what bairns do imo
Pretty Mary's? I've an ex (NO) whose parents lived in Moira. Nice place.

First spell he was canny and played some good football. Looked like he was developing as a player and then we lost him. I can't remember what went on but we ended up getting nowt from him. Was no huge issue like cos we had replacements and cover.

Then for some daft reason we paid West Ham a canny wedge for him and Anton Ferdinand? Was sure it wasn't far off £10m for them both. Was when Keane went a bit mad and started splashing money about.

He was very shite second time around. Dreadful decision to bring him back.

Always remember in his first spell we played burnley away and adi akinbiyi who was playing for them at the time stuck the nut on him . I was fuming at the time watching it. Anyone remember it ??
Yes I saw that match. He looked like a scared little boy about to pap his pants. Always thought he seemed a bit weak but maybe I was prejudiced by that incident.

Was good enough in the Championship and was shite in the top flight first time round we had him, the second time we bought him was to play in the top flight so considering how bad he was in it the first time round he was playing for us it was no f***ing surprise at all how bad he was the second time around

I imagine he would have been delighted if you'd approached him having spent his formative years here. In fact his Missus might well be a Sunderland lass.
I doubt it.
He was considering retiring at one point towards the end of his first time here. SAFC should’ve known not to resign him because of that. Getting a fee for him was Quinn’s finest moment as a SAFC owner which I was ower the moment about on here when he was sold. Resigning him was his worst. Absolute rank stupidity. Which I also posted about on here at the time.
No lessons learnt by anyone other than McCartney ower the George Butler fiasco.

Back