George Dobson

When McGeouch played it was noticeable that he would make himself available to the defenders to pass to him and not punt it aimlessly upfield. I can't remember any of our other midfield doing this when McGeouch didn't play.

A small thing?...maybe, but at least it kept the ball on the ground (where we play at our best) and not up in the air to come straight back.

He's a good little player, I don't see why you've got so much beef with the lad.

Leadbitter does this all the time.

When McGeouch played it was noticeable that he would make himself available to the defenders to pass to him and not punt it aimlessly upfield. I can't remember any of our other midfield doing this when McGeouch didn't play.

A small thing?...maybe, but at least it kept the ball on the ground (where we play at our best) and not up in the air to come straight back.

He's a good little player, I don't see why you've got so much beef with the lad.
If you can't see that he offers something different to the rest, ie comfortable on the ball under pressure, keeping the play moving then you might aswell give up on football tbh.
You'd think he had two left feet the way some people are going on.

If you can't see the benefit of keeping the ball then there's no point in continuing to reply mate.

We'll save each other a bit of time and agree to disagree.
Didn't see this but aye.

Yup. McGeough overhyped compared to the rest of the midfield. Don't think he offers anything more than Leadbitter. Don't think he showed enough to play ahead of anyone else last year.
I’d keep him ideally as he provides cover for Leadbitter in that dm role. I’m not sure any of the other players could adequately do that. The issue then becomes who goes. We’d have 4 for the remaining two midfield roles plus Embleton. Personally I’d entertain bids for Honeyman and Power and look to replace whichever sold. I think both would benefit from a more sensible set up in midfield but I’d like to see fresh blood. Dobson seems interesting. The issue is that Honeyman is a favourite and Power is injured. That pretty much leaves McGeouch as the only game in town in terms of midfielders we could move to make space.

Read that but the Leadbitter stats are bullshit. Played an unreal chipped ball to Wyke at home against Burton. Wyke blazed it off the top of the bar. So not sure how that doesn't qualify as a smart pass.
True. Also don’t see the point in comparing Honeyman and Maddison. One is a midfielder while the other is clearly a right winger from his heatmap.

Last edited:
If you can't see that he offers something different to the rest, ie comfortable on the ball under pressure, keeping the play moving then you might aswell give up on football tbh.
You'd think he had two left feet the way some people are going on.

Didn't see this but aye.

He doesn’t fly into tackles or play Hollywood balls so he’s shite.

The majority of teams, especially the top ones, have a player that does the ‘simple things’ well and not a great deal more.

McGeouch could be that player for us, imo.

I’d keep him ideally as he provides cover for Leadbitter in that dm role. I’m not sure any of the other players could adequately do that role. The issue then becomes who goes. We’d have 4 for the remaining two midfield roles plus Embleton. Personally I’d entertain bids for Honeyman and Power personally and look to replace whichever sold. I think both would benefit from a more sensible set up in midfield but I’d like to see fresh blood. Dobson seems interesting. The issue is that Honeyman is a favourite and Power is injured. That pretty much leaves McGeouch as the only game in town in terms of midfielders we could move to make space.

True. Also don’t see the point in comparing Honeyman and Maddison. One is a midfielder while the other is clearly a right winger from his heatmap.

Yeah I'd keep him around as cover as it's a long season. Agree about the need for fresh blood though, we weren't good at all in midfield last season. The best midfielder was Cattermole and he's now left, think the others are lucky to be getting another go, especially Power, who in my opinion went missing a lot.

Honeymans stats alone were interesting but yeah I also didn't see the point in the comparison. Really he'd be competing with Gooch, McGeady or Maguire.

The majority of teams, especially the top ones, have a player that does the ‘simple things’ well and not a great deal more.

Do they?

Name these players?

Yeah I'd keep him around as cover as it's a long season. Agree about the need for fresh blood though, we weren't good at all in midfield last season. The best midfielder was Cattermole and he's now left, think the others are lucky to be getting another go, especially Power, who in my opinion went missing a lot.

Honeymans stats alone were interesting but yeah I also didn't see the point in the comparison. Really he'd be competing with Gooch, McGeady or Maguire.

Do they?

Name these players?

Fabinho, Fernandinho, Matic, Ndidi.

Ok these players are on another level, but they’re effective without necessarily being eye catching.

My point was that just because a player ‘only passes sideways and keeps possession’ doesn’t make him shite.

He's a Footballa so he's like a fish oot of watta.......But he's made of glass so nee good to us, we need some muscle

Fabinho, Fernandinho, Matic, Ndidi.

Ok these players are on another level, but they’re effective without necessarily being eye catching.

My point was that just because a player ‘only passes sideways and keeps possession’ doesn’t make him shite.

Yeah get your point but don't think there's a need for such a limited role. In the same way there wasn't a need for Bridcutt in Poyets system.

You don't have to be dynamic if you're a good athlete and are tactically exceptional. McGeough just doesn't do enough all round.

For what it's worth I thought he played well against Luton but then got bombed out for whatever reason.

Yeah get your point but don't think there's a need for such a limited role. In the same way there wasn't a need for Bridcutt in Poyets system.

You don't have to be dynamic if you're a good athlete and are tactically exceptional. McGeough just doesn't do enough all round.

For what it's worth I thought he played well against Luton but then got bombed out for whatever reason.

Fair points.

I like him, though and think he gives us an energy we often lacked as well.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him go either like.

Fair points.

I like him, though and think he gives us an energy we often lacked as well.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see him go either like.

We'll see how he fits in. Opportunity is there for him looking at his current competition - no excuses.

Yup. McGeough overhyped compared to the rest of the midfield. Don't think he offers anything more than Leadbitter. Don't think he showed enough to play ahead of anyone else last year.

I'm not over hyping McGeoch, I'm saying he's a good player that I'd give another chance to this season as last was very stop start for him. Leadbitter is also a good player but he's 33 and couldn't last past 70 mins last season so it'll be interesting to see if that was just with not playing as much before he came to us or if his legs are gone, either way, theres two tidy footballers there with something to prove this season.

He reads the game a lot better, he's a better tackler, he's more composed and he's a better passer.

Hideous if we get rid of Cattermole and McGeouch and stick with Leadbitter and Power.

I like McGeoch, doesn't treat the ball like a hot potato and looks to play a pass rather than a punt. I think he was hindered by the fact that he never got an extended run in the team to find his form. His injury record isn't great, so it's possible that he never will. I would give him a good crack this season if I was Ross.

Of course I would like any SAFC footballer to do well - I just can't see it though.

Lot's don't rate Honeyman (do you?) but he is way better than the wee scotchie.

Two different players and two positions so I don't see the point in trying to compare?

I think Honeyman is a squad player that probably starts more games than he should due to being Ross' favourite and being captain. He's had a handful of good games but a lot more bad, he's not a starter but could be useful from the bench.

Back