Geocaching

The lampposts round here have a hole through the hinge for the maintenance flap. I've seen people looking for one on the grass out the back of mine and it's in a tiny little capsule poked in the hinge hole.

I’d probably offer an opinion of some sort but I haven’t the vaguest notion of what it is.

I’d probably offer an opinion of some sort but I haven’t the vaguest notion of what it is.

Geocaching can be described in simple terms as treasure hunting for the digital generation. Instead of using the conventional compasses and printed maps more commonly associated with orienteering, participants rely on global positioning system (GPS) technology to find their way to certain points around the globe. These spots are found using coordinates published online by other forum members who have hidden boxes or containers (caches) there.

These boxes - often airtight Tupperware-style containers - can contain pretty much anything. In their most basic form, they'll usually have a log book for hunters to record their names and the dates on which they find the stash. Much of the excitement, however, lies in seeing what other trinkets and souvenirs have been left. If the finder decides to take anything away, they're required to leave something of equal or greater value for the next person to discover - and the chain begins!

Geocaching can be described in simple terms as treasure hunting for the digital generation. Instead of using the conventional compasses and printed maps more commonly associated with orienteering, participants rely on global positioning system (GPS) technology to find their way to certain points around the globe. These spots are found using coordinates published online by other forum members who have hidden boxes or containers (caches) there.

These boxes - often airtight Tupperware-style containers - can contain pretty much anything. In their most basic form, they'll usually have a log book for hunters to record their names and the dates on which they find the stash. Much of the excitement, however, lies in seeing what other trinkets and souvenirs have been left. If the finder decides to take anything away, they're required to leave something of equal or greater value for the next person to discover - and the chain begins!
Sounds interesting. Thanks for the explanation mate.

Dear god. I can't believe for the life of me that so called adults are engaging in this type of shite. There's plenty of pursuits to keep you busy. Do some DIY, clean the car, register for voluntary work. This is banal.
The next time this country gets invaded we'll get f***ing steamrollered

The lampposts round here have a hole through the hinge for the maintenance flap. I've seen people looking for one on the grass out the back of mine and it's in a tiny little capsule poked in the hinge hole.
Well you can't beat poking a tiny little capsule into a hinge hole

Dear god. I can't believe for the life of me that so called adults are engaging in this type of shite. There's plenty of pursuits to keep you busy. Do some DIY, clean the car, register for voluntary work. This is banal.
At least you'll be there defending us with your clean car and charity bucket though ey :lol:

It is fairly expensive for what it is. I think it was £5.99 per month (their website does not currently show prices) for premium. With basic you only get a small subset of caches showing and only vague directions, so if it is any use, you need to pay. You can sign up to pay with the mobile app, but you can't unsubscribe. For that you need to go to the website and even then it is not straight forward.

I signed up once when on holiday, and the kids did enjoy it. Though it did cause arguments when the older one was pushing the younger one out the way to get there first. Every month for a few months I'd get a receipt from google play to say another £5.99 had gone out my account. It took a couple of those before I remembered to quit it. After a couple of trips out, the kids soon got bored and were just as happy to do outdoor stuff without looking for little plastic boxes to swap crap with other people.

It was a genius idea from whoever created it. Provide an app and a map overlay, then charge people a fortune to supply their own boxes to fill with their own stuff and hide it themselves.

It is fairly expensive for what it is. I think it was £5.99 per month (their website does not currently show prices) for premium. With basic you only get a small subset of caches showing and only vague directions, so if it is any use, you need to pay. You can sign up to pay with the mobile app, but you can't unsubscribe. For that you need to go to the website and even then it is not straight forward.

I signed up once when on holiday, and the kids did enjoy it. Though it did cause arguments when the older one was pushing the younger one out the way to get there first. Every month for a few months I'd get a receipt from google play to say another £5.99 had gone out my account. It took a couple of those before I remembered to quit it. After a couple of trips out, the kids soon got bored and were just as happy to do outdoor stuff without looking for little plastic boxes to swap crap with other people.

It was a genius idea from whoever created it. Provide an app and a map overlay, then charge people a fortune to supply their own boxes to fill with their own stuff and hide it themselves.
There’s a free version though, it’s enough.

I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s okay. Imagine once the kids are old enough it will be much more fun. Especially when you find collectibles and stuff inside, and can leave things for others.

I only do it when I take the kids for a walk. Keeps them interested and they have focus on getting to the next one.

Back