Genuinely one of the most sad/depressing things I’ve heard in years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland went on disgracefully with Hartlepool over Ledger. Bickered for several weeks. Ledger even travelled to Guiseley with the Hartlepool the squad only for Sunderland to block him from playing. It was disgraceful from Sunderland. Ledger doing well at Hartlepool by the way

Something worth being talked about,@GordonMuchallNo1Fan you metioned something similar in the summer what do you think
See above. I mentioned it on here and to you at the time. Hartlepool almost pulled out of the deal because of the ridiculous way Sunderland were behaving. I know Ledger wasn't too impressed either as he was eager to play football and even travelled with the Hartlepool team despite only to have Sunderland drag things out an extra few days

Last edited:

Even more shocking, there is a hint of hard hitting, investigative journalism from a roker report blog! If it hasn't been thoroughly researched then they are some fairly libellous accusations to throw at the club, so I hope that RR have done their homework.
Libel against whom?

Even more shocking, there is a hint of hard hitting, investigative journalism from a roker report blog! If it hasn't been thoroughly researched then they are some fairly libellous accusations to throw at the club, so I hope that RR have done their homework.

Has it? Says ledger was one of the best centre backs in the league. A Viking fan replied on twitter saying he was no better than any other of their defenders and they were bottom of the league by a mile with the worst defence in the league

No names, just the usual amount of conspiracy theory about the academy set-up.

Hell on!

Same thing happened with Liam Agnew. He was captain of the U23's and now he's at Harrogate Town. Could've had loads to league 1 but it was blocked under Poyet.

Absolutely baffling. You're stunting a young footballers career by no giving them a chance. Other clubs are less likely to take a punt on them if they've not been tested at first team level
Poyet blocked loan moves for youngsters as he wanted players in the academy to get used to playing his style of football. Don't think a single academy player got even a minute of football under him. Not certain but I don't remember him giving any opportunities.

It's 100% true about Ledger down at Hartlepool, mentioned it on here at the time. Fuckin petty by Sunderland, squabbling with a non league neighbour ffs

I don't want to beat the drum, however there's plenty of negative story's about the AOL in resent years...

I wrote about this when it happened around three years ago.

Friend of mine has a very talented son, at the time the three 'big' north east clubs were wanting him for the academies aged 9.

Mate is a Sunderland fan, so was delighted when the scout approached him. He was invited to the AOL for a look around etc etc. Can't remember the time, but we'll say he was asked to be there for 10am for arguments sake. They sat in reception for nearly an hour. When one of the coaches finally showed up to take him around, there was no apology, no acknowledgement of their lateness, he got a very rushed tour, then left in reception after being told someone will be in touch.

They went to Newcastle and got treat like royalty, nothing was a bother to them. He signed for Newcastle purely because of how SAFC treated his son on the day. He's still at NUFC and absolutely thriving.

Sunderland got in touch about 3 weeks after original tour. They were told where to go.

Folks rave about our academy but it's an absolute farce.
I have a friend who had a similar experience but the kid was released by Sunderland with not so much as a goodbye never mind a 'thanks and good luck'.

The lad was picked up by Newcastle and is excelling and absolutely loves it.

No smoke without fire in my opinion. My son has a friend playing in that age group and he has been messed about.

I wrote about this when it happened around three years ago.

Friend of mine has a very talented son, at the time the three 'big' north east clubs were wanting him for the academies aged 9.

Mate is a Sunderland fan, so was delighted when the scout approached him. He was invited to the AOL for a look around etc etc. Can't remember the time, but we'll say he was asked to be there for 10am for arguments sake. They sat in reception for nearly an hour. When one of the coaches finally showed up to take him around, there was no apology, no acknowledgement of their lateness, he got a very rushed tour, then left in reception after being told someone will be in touch.

They went to Newcastle and got treat like royalty, nothing was a bother to them. He signed for Newcastle purely because of how SAFC treated his son on the day. He's still at NUFC and absolutely thriving.

Sunderland got in touch about 3 weeks after original tour. They were told where to go.

Folks rave about our academy but it's an absolute farce.

That scenario has probably happened dozens of times mate.

This won't be exclusive to us, clubs have to look after themselves but by the same token so do players which is why I have no issue when lads are quick to jump ship for a better deal as clubs won't have any issue moving them on if it suits.
Dog eat dog I'm afraid.

Worrying thing for me is that with Short`s current financial stance the only way forward for us is to develop more first team squad members from the Academy. Apart from their development been stunted by not going out on loan when the news of this (and apparent treatment of potential recruits) gets out it will hardly encourage decent youngsters to come here FFS

Worth a read that. Disgusting and disgraceful treatment of individuals.

I have long maintained that almost everyone working the academy ,to give it the name it holds but does not deserve, could not complain if they were sacked tomorrow. the high irony is of course that growing young players is the only feasible future for SAFC. There is no other way. But the clowns in charge respond to financial shortage by cutting back on the very thing that presents a future.

No one will be surprised.

That is disgusting if true, it has been said on here for a long time we have a lack of lads going out on loan and instead turning out for u23's.

It's even worse when you think of the shite we have signed on inflated wages that have to be paid off one way or another to get shot of them but our young lads aren't getting a chance to develop cause of money and wanting the u23 team to do well. Anothe sign that those in charge don't understand football, as they have no idea that allowing these lads to develop will be of benefit financially by either selling them on if they don't make the level or saving having to sign someone if they do.

Clearly being strict with players in the wrong areas!

Worth a read that. Disgusting and disgraceful treatment of individuals.

I have long maintained that almost everyone working the academy ,to give it the name it holds but does not deserve, could not complain if they were sacked tomorrow. the high irony is of course that growing young players is the only feasible future for SAFC. There is no other way. But the clowns in charge respond to financial shortage by cutting back on the very thing that presents a future.

No one will be surprised.

No idea from them is there? They literally don't understand that penny pinching at the academy will be to the detriment of the club. No idea about the game!

There was a good programme about kids and football clubs in general.
They basically cast the net and catch every fish in their catchment area.
The fact over 99% are waste is just a by product.
Even take on kids that they have no intention of ever keeping, but you have to...you know...field a full team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back