Gentoo.

Haven’t heard the term “Court” used mate. I assume it’s the development where all the flat roofed houses were. I appreciate that there is some social housing but nowhere near the levels previously so you wonder where those people went....into the private sector I’d imagine.
They moved them into other Gentoo houses.

The flip side is all the people who exploting the right to buy. Jumping on relatives rent account for long enough to buy the house at heavily reduced rates, selling it, then getting another house to rent from Gentoo.

If Gentoo didnt build and sell more houses they'd get grief for not providing homes to live in. They use the profit from the sales to subsidise the social housing in the same housing states.

Gentoo have done a lot of good for Sunderland mind. If you've got an issue with social housing provision, I'd suggest pointing your guns at the government. They're the one who've ramped up the right to buy discounts and applied this to social landlords (like Gentoo) rather than just local authorities.

Re government, they have slashed the funding available to Social Landlords to build rented properties, so, Gentoo etc have to build privately to reinvest profits into rented sector.

Loads of house building going on in Sunderland at the moment like, can’t be bad for the local economy. Might keep prices from rising however, supply and demand, not neccasarily a bad thing

Gentoo have done a lot of good for Sunderland mind. If you've got an issue with social housing provision, I'd suggest pointing your guns at the government. They're the one who've ramped up the right to buy discounts and applied this to social landlords (like Gentoo) rather than just local authorities.

Re government, they have slashed the funding available to Social Landlords to build rented properties, so, Gentoo etc have to build privately to reinvest profits into rented sector.

Here we gan, sounds like a loyal Gentoo company man.

The people of Sunderland had their pants taken down with the social housing stock which belonged to the City - getting handed over to the Sunderland Housing Group which then got morphed into Gentoo.
Now Gentoo - and their directors - are raking in the cash big style - all on the back of what was Sunderland's own property.
You couldn't make it up.:rolleyes:

Council insiders in corrupt feathering of own nest shocker. Who would have thought it?

I take the OP’s point about the previous homes there but Sunderland overall has a decent supply of cheaper houses and a lower supply of executive housing. As a result people were moving to Seaham and Durham etc, and many who work at Doxford Park and Sunderland commute in from other areas.

Some of the houses Gentoo have already built in that area appear pretty decent and these should add to the increasingly mixed offer available there.

Following a bus there with an ad for Gentoo homes at Doxford Park. “Three, four and five bedroom homes FROM £186k”

Given that this was universally a social housing estate they inherited do they not have a responsibility to provide a bulk of social housing on their developments.

Don’t get me wrong, the estate was hideous and what they’re building is much better but those prices surely prohibit a good percentage of local people from the market.
If they build high quality housing, it makes the area better and houses elsewhere get freed up.

We built shit for years, building tiny houses makes no sense.

If they build high quality housing, it makes the area better and houses elsewhere get freed up.

We built shit for years, building tiny houses makes no sense.

I did say that. My overall point, given that they inherited a large social housing pool, is whether they are still a major social housing provider or whether they’re now a developer.

No issues whatsoever over the improvement in the areas they’ve tackled so far....ie Southwick, Doxy.

2 different businesses , one manages the old council stock , the other builds new homes. They’ve actually got about twenty different business identities but they’re the two main ones. Worked for them for a while and got to visit quite a few of their new developments and the properties were great

Are they ever going to build on the land in Pennywell where they pulled all the houses down? I drive past there on the way to the match and it's been empty land for years now.

Back