General Motorsport Thread

Aside from being a tv personality he has had very little media pressure due to racing "cars" rather than the unique high pressue environment that is F1.

There are 20 F1 drivers in the world, its a unique environment.

I’m intrigued to know the usage of the apostrophe. Touring cars aren’t proper racing cars? It’s only one if it has a rear diffuser or DRS?

I’m also fascinated by your theory as to the importance of media pressure in the career of a driver.

Regarding the ‘unique’ high pressure F1. All motor racing categories are high pressure, are they not? Every race, be it in GTs, Endurance racing, rallycross, stock car or rallying. Do they not feel pressure to win? You wouldn’t feel pressure to win the drivers title if you are a driver in the BTCC and you are going in to the last race of the season only ahead of 2nd place by 3 points and ahead of 3rd by 6 points? It happens frequently in the BTCC finale at our home of Brands Hatch.

Theirs only 29 drivers in the BTCC in the world. It’s a unique environment. Why? It’s the only one of its kind in the world. I suspect the same can be said of F1.

Pleased to see a reply though.

Last edited:

I’m intrigued to know the usage of the apostrophe. Touring cars aren’t proper racing cars? It’s only one if it has a rear diffuser or DRS?

I’m also fascinated by your theory as to the importance of media pressure in the career of a driver.

Regarding the ‘unique’ high pressure F1. All motor racing categories are high pressure, are they not? Every race, be it in GTs, Endurance racing, rallycross, stock car or rallying. Do they not feel pressure to win? You wouldn’t feel pressure to win the drivers title if you are a driver in the BTCC and you are going in to the last race of the season only ahead of 2nd place by 3 points and ahead of 3rd by 6 points? It happens frequently in the BTCC finale at our home of Brands Hatch.

Theirs only 29 drivers in the BTCC in the world. It’s a unique environment. Why? It’s the only one of its kind in the world. I suspect the same can be said of F1.

Pleased to see a reply though.
The pressure on F1 drivers is global and comes with the additional pressure of extreme rewards in exchange for results. The lower formula of course experience pressure but not to the extent the F1 drivers do.

It must grind them down.

The speech marks were rather childish of me - sorry - I was clumsily implying the difference between a formula like Touring cars and prototypes like F1.

The pressure on F1 drivers is global and comes with the additional pressure of extreme rewards in exchange for results. The lower formula of course experience pressure but not to the extent the F1 drivers do.

It must grind them down.

The speech marks were rather childish of me - sorry - I was clumsily implying the difference between a formula like Touring cars and prototypes like F1.

Of course. The one thing F1 truly trumps every other championship such as WRC, GT World Challenge and WTCR is profile or more to the point recognition. The WWE has done the same in pro wrestling over other promotions like AEW, Impact! Wrestling and NWA. The Premiership has done the same in football over other leagues like the Championship, League One and the National League. They have all become the one truly publicly recognised entity.

Knock on a door and ask the owner to think of a driver or team in a championship in motorsport outside of F1 and they won’t be able to. Ask them to think of a club in League One and they wouldn’t be able to. It’s all due to the press and media publicity something gets compared to others. What do they call it? Conditioning I think. Where a person over time due to repeated exposure of one thing can believe only in that and nothing else.

But this global recognition comes at a price for the drivers in F1. Greater scrutiny of their actions being one of the many. The Silverstone incident last season or any other in its history like the Schumacher/Hill incident in 1994 would have been missed in the ELMS or British GT had an identical incident happened to any two drivers in it. And the drivers would have escaped public debate.

It’s sad but it’s the world we live in.

Jason Plato set to retire from the BTCC after 23 seasons. What F1 driver can boast that and actually properly retire?
Kimi runs him close.

But it's a meaningless comparison, it like comparing the career length of an NFL running back and a golfer, because both those sports involve balls.

The running back and FEW drivers career clock starts ticking after years in lower grades do will always be shorter.

The golfer, non f1 driver will go on for a longer time as they don't have to perform to such a physically demanding level.

You wonder why no one posts in here?

You wonder why no one posts in here?

You wonder why I have you on Ignore? Who the hell do you think you are writing that to me? You are going to stay on till you are long gone.

Why couldn’t you have just left it at “The golfer, non f1 driver will go on for a longer time as they don't have to perform to such a physically demanding level”? Why did you have to go sticking the knife in? Had you left it at that you would have had a perfectly good post. But no, you had to go and add that crap.

Stupid. Just plain stupid. And pointless.

Last edited:
You wonder why I have you on Ignore? Who the hell do you think you are writing that to me? You are going to stay on till you are long gone.

Why couldn’t you have just left it at “The golfer, non f1 driver will go on for a longer time as they don't have to perform to such a physically demanding level”? Why did you have to go sticking the knife in? Had you left it at that you would have had a perfectly good post. But no, you had to go and add that crap.

Stupid. Just plain stupid. And pointless.
I say again, you wonder why no one posts in here

Take a look at yourself

I've booked in to see the BTCC at Croft, a steal at £30.

Looking forward to it. Though I must say I thought it was cheaper last year. I am sure it was around £25 last year. It is still a steal even at £30.

I think it is anyones this year. I'm talking about each race not just the title. The opening round was epic. Truly anyone could have went on to win each of the 3 races.

Where will you be?
I like it, looks like an early 80s F1 car

I can see it. Something like Gille Villneuve's Ferrari or Didier Peroni's JS11.

Last edited:

The forces of air in motor racing is something that will never cease to astound me. It's basically when a patio door is left open that is the effect on an internal door. Slipsteaming is the main influence here with the following car using IIRC a space where there is no air at all acting against the car (drag) to close the gap, BUT the moment the car is exposed to the the current of air it's like it is unbalanced. The effect I think is akin to the old archive footage of buildings during the 1950's when the US Army would test nuclear bombs and the houses are just blown away. That is how I interpret the effect of drafting. It shows surely how powerful the Super GT cars must be.

Speaking of GT's I am watching the ELMS from Paul Ricard and the commentators mentioned that nexy year, If I remember, is the last year of the GTE class and all GT' cars in motorsport, whether in something like the Fanatec GT World Challenge or WEC, ALL GT cars will effectively be GT3. Though I would like to see GT2 cars included. This is sad I think. GTE cars are more powerful I am sure than their GT3 counterparts (so a 488 GTO GTE would outpace I think a 488 GTO GT3) as the GT3's are more customer based. But we would lose factory drivers. Drivers assigned to race for that maker. For years Darren Turner was associated with Aston Martin. Neel Jani for Porsche. James Calado for Ferrari. My fear is we could see an end to that. But my hope it we could see McLaren, Lamborghini and others compete in Le Mans. That's what I feel.

Back