Gender equality at festivals

My opinion is that aye its kind of shit for young lasses growing up (14-20) and seeing festivals dominated by men in a world, largely run by men. But it's not gonna change overnight and they don't need to make a song and dance about how they're going to make it more equal.

It's in industry problem and it'll take time for the music bosses, most likely blokes, to find these lasses that we find equally as talented as the blokes. They are already out there
I seriously doubt the vast majority have even cared to notice, nevermind give a shite.
Or maybe the majority of girls don’t have enough role models. I didn’t say there are none. I say they are under represented.
Or maybe there's just not as many of them and they're not very good.

Last edited:
Maybe if they had more female role models who weren’t like that, you know some actual rock stars at festivals, then there would be more role models to choose from?

There’s plenty of role models in the music world, the genres of pop, r&b and now even electronic music are massively represented.

Rock / guitar based music don’t have as many role models for the simple reason that generally girls don’t like that music. I’m all for 50/50 bills at say Creamfields or Radio 1 weekender but you can’t do it at say Reading or download simply because you don’t have the acts to do it.

Its not.

Not only, no.

But more.

You said a lack of female role models makes it difficult for women to learn during the 'really difficult learning phase'.

I'd say the early phase is the least difficult, most people I knew who played were highly motivated spending hours and hours practising at home as we wanted to learn, improve and start bands. I'd say the difficult part is when people become competent and then still having the drive to practice/learn to go to the next level.

A lot of my friends got to a passable standard but then stopped progressing as they lost interest due to other activities or were happy with the level they were at.

I don't think that was a gender specific issue as one of the biggest distractions was the opposite sex and going out.

You said a lack of female role models makes it difficult for women to learn during the 'really difficult learning phase'.

I'd say the early phase is the least difficult, most people I knew who played were highly motivated spending hours and hours practising at home as we wanted to learn, improve and start bands. I'd say the difficult part is when people become competent and then still having the drive to practice/learn to go to the next level.

A lot of my friends got to a passable standard but then stopped progressing as they lost interest due to other activities or were happy with the level they were at.

I don't think that was a gender specific issue as one of the biggest distractions was the opposite sex and going out.
No, I was actually responding to someone else who said the early learning phase was difficult, and that’s why more women don’t stick with it. Personally I think that’s bollocks, and I say that as a women who can (could) play three instruments (badly) and read music.

Back