Gender equality at festivals

It's a cycle though isn't it, as @Bukowski pointed out earlier. Male bands get all the exposure, the radio plays, then they get the festival slots etc. It takes a long time to turn around bloke dominated industries, breaking the habits takes years. We're at the start of it becoming a bit more normal and it's good to see. The public gets what they're given, it can change through exposure.

There's no reason why male bands should be more popular than females, is there? It's just what people are exposed to. It's funny as in straight up pop music, where there isn't that masculinity running through it, there's far more balance.

Very on brand comment!

Looking at just rock, is it not just numbers? More men play guitar/bass/drums so therefore you’ll have more popular male acts than female as there is simply more of them?

If girls aren’t picking up the instruments it’s not going to change. If you’ve got a low number playing the number within that who are any good will be low.
Perhaps, just perhaps, it’s because the girls don’t see enough female role models doing it succcessfully in order to make it worth that really difficult learning phase?

Wonder how we could change that, eh?

I wouldn’t say the early phase is difficult, I spent hours every day just playing along to music, learning songs and having lessons. You do that because you love it and you obsess over it.

Why is that difficult for one gender and not the other?

Last edited:

Perhaps, just perhaps, it’s because the girls don’t see enough female role models doing it succcessfully in order to make it worth that really difficult learning phase?

Surely you don't believe that...

Girls aren't only inspired by other girls.

Since the second wave of feminism they've taken the lead over men in industries such as biochemistry and accountancy when next to no women did those jobs previously.

So why do girls dominate industries such as biochmemistry?

Back in the 70's nearly all biologists were men.

No women to inspire them to join that industry
Do they? Was there an effort to encourage women into the industry?

It’s also not the only factor. There are a lot of reasons women go into different roles. Not just role models, but they do help.
@Aituk7 have you got any links? The only stuff I can see on google is old and seems to indicate the opposite.

The most recent I can find is 2017 in the States saying 50% of biology degrees are to women, which doesn’t reference your point.

Last edited:
Do they? Was there an effort to encourage women into the industry?

It’s also not the only factor. There are a lot of reasons women go into different roles. Not just role models, but they do help.
Yeah they dominate that industry.

I know the efforts that have tried to get women into sectors they are on average uninterested in have on the whole failed because we've presumed the reason girls don't take up these roles are the typical reasons listed by yourself and throughout the thread.

Luckily this way of thinking is becoming slowly outdated as more studies are being done

Yeah they dominate that industry.

I know the efforts that have tried to get women into sectors they are on average uninterested in have on the whole failed because we've presumed the reason girls don't take up these roles are the typical reasons listed by yourself and throughout the thread.

Luckily this way of thinking is becoming slowly outdated as more studies are being done
Links?

I'm on my phone so I don't have them to hand. But we've discussed this before. The points and evidence I used on the matter hasn't changed since then.

Women aren't wallflowers that need coddling and extra help at every step of their lives.

They get on with life just like men do.

The biggest inequalities between males and females is pay at the lowest rung of the ladder, people with next to no education.

If you want to talk about real inequalities the best place to start is there, but you won't like the answers.... and I wouldn't blame you. Hence nothing will really change.
@Aituk7 have you got any links? The only stuff I can see on google is old and seems to indicate the opposite.

The most recent I can find is 2017 in the States saying 50% of biology degrees are to women, which doesn’t reference your point.
I didn't see this bit before. I'm surprised to see that because I'm sure I've seen stats in the past that show women/girls get more degrees in this field and now have more jobs in this field.

If I'm wrong my apologies but I could have sworn blind I'd seen evidence to point to that.

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so I don't have them to hand. But we've discussed this before. The points and evidence I used on the matter hasn't changed since then.

Women aren't wallflowers that need coddling and extra help at every step of their lives.

They get on with life just like men do.

The biggest inequalities between males and females is pay at the lowest rung of the ladder, people with next to no education.

If you want to talk about real inequalities the best place to start is there, but you won't like the answers.... and I wouldn't blame you. Hence nothing will really change.

I didn't see this bit before. I'm surprised to see that because I'm sure I've seen stats in the past that show women/girls get more degrees in this field and now have more jobs in this field.

If I'm wrong my apologies but I could have sworn blind I'd seen evidence to point to that.
if your phone has access to the Internet, feel free to google Women in biochemistry. There are a lot of links there.

And thanks for mansplaining women to me, by the way. ;)

if your phone has access to the Internet, feel free to google Women in biochemistry. There are a lot of links there.

And thanks for mansplaining women to me, by the way. ;)
I'm identifying as a female today. Thanks for misgendering me ;)

So it would appear women get a higher percentage of the degrees in biology than men, but its about half and half in terms of jobs.

They don't dominate the field, but they do have a fair share, my point still stands, in the 70's they didn't take up that amount of the sector. And they took that without female role models. They do it because they are interested in it.

Why do you think the gap at the lower end of the market in terms of educational requirements is so vast between men and women in terms of pay

I'm identifying as a female today. Thanks for misgendering me ;)

So it would appear women get a higher percentage of the degrees in biology than men, but its about half and half in terms of jobs.

They don't dominate the field, but they do have a fair share, my point still stands, in the 70's they didn't take up that amount of the sector. And they took that without female role models. They do it because they are interested in it.

Why do you think the gap at the lower end of the market in terms of educational requirements is so vast between men and women in terms of pay
Why do you think women with biology degrees aren’t represented in the same proportions in their professional field? What could be stopping them?

Why do you think women with biology degrees aren’t represented in the same proportions in their professional field? What could be stopping them?
Any number of factors. Loads of people do degrees and then go into different industries.

Why do you think where the biggest disparity in pay is, at the bottom of the jobs market in terms of education is the gap so wide between men and women?

But why does that not happen to the men?

(I’ll answer your question when we get to the bottom of this).
it will happen to men aswell.

Although women are on average more picky than men and value happiness in a job more highly than men so it would suggest they are less inclined to just stick it out if they don't like something.

it will happen to men aswell.

Although women are on average more picky than men and value happiness in a job more highly than men so it would suggest they are less inclined to just stick it out if they don't like something.
But it doesn’t happen to men in this field. Your statistic proves it doesn’t. What do you think that is?

Other than what I said in my previous post, no idea. Do you know why?
No I don’t. I could have a guess, but I don’t think it really backs up your point, when women have equal degrees in a subject but then don’t go into the field. There must be a reason or reasons. And it doesn’t happen to men.

There’s been female role models for ever man. Carol Kaye was a f***ing awesome session bass guitarist, there’s been women only bands since the 60’s The liverbirds, fanny, the slits, the go go’s etc. The thing is have a fantastic drum kit in the house, the boy plays it most days and the daughter ignores it. I’ve spent equal time brainwashing them both with all type of bands from birth. Despite our best efforts, the daughter has gravitated towards shitty chart music. Maybe just maybe the majority of girls are just not f***ing interested.

Back