Gender equality at festivals

What's the actual gender split for musicians? Is it 50/50 as if not then lasses will be getting more representation.

If you take something like heavy rock, punk & metal its very male dominated. So having a 50/50 split at download is just silly.

Yes it should and it's a reflection of an industry that is archaic. No reason that a line up should be dominated by male artists and bands in 2020.

I'm not saying you need to split it perfectly down the middle, but come on man, there are festivals out there seemingly terrified to book anything other than blokes with guitars. It's weird.

Last edited:
Yes it should and it's a reflection of an industry that is archaic. No reason that a line up should be dominated by male artists and bands in 2020.

I'm not saying you need to split it perfectly down the middle, but come on man, there are festivals out there seemingly terrified to book anything other than blokes with guitars. It's weird.
That's 'cos there's a lot more blokes with guitars than there is women.

I'm not saying you need to split it perfectly done the middle, but come on man, there are festivals out there seemingly terrified to book anything other than blokes with guitars. It's weird.

Agreed with that. Reading/Leeds this year is particularly poor in terms of having women involved. I think there's 3 or 4 main stage acts with female involvement over the weekend.

That's 'cos there's a lot more blokes with guitars than there is women.

Because of how outdated the industry is, aye. Its levelling out all of the time these days and it's about time it was reflected on festival lineups too. It'll inspire a lot of bairns growing up as well to see female artists and bands up there on a level platform with men.

Agreed with that. Reading/Leeds this year is particularly poor in terms of having women involved. I think there's 3 or 4 main stage acts with female involvement over the weekend.
So what?

Shall we stick ten lasses teams in the Premier League to balance it out a bit? It's a fuckin' nonsense man. If you're good enough and you sell enough you play. There's no conspiracy here.

Yes the music business is a male centric world, but that's just the nature of the beast. Men devote more to it. Men pick up guitars to impress girls. Men get all nerdy with audio gadgetry. Men become obsessive. Men buy the product.
Why though? Is it because girls grow up seeing that guitars are for blokes? Would them seeing women with guitars be more of an inspiration for them to have a go?
Nee woman's ever had to pick up a guitar to pull a bloke.

Last edited:

Back