GDPR

Will this mean the end of spam emails and texts etc?

I also assume companies will no longer be able to sell data to others, for example when insurers tip off the ambulance chasing solicitors etc?

I would doubt they would give a toss to be honest. I threated one lot of unsolicited accident compensation callers with reporting them to the ICO and he tried to smart mouth me back claiming they were doing nothing illegal (they were). No doubt a lot of these companies will feed bullshit to their phone jockeys, and when they get caught out close the company down.

Will this mean the end of spam emails and texts etc?

I also assume companies will no longer be able to sell data to others, for example when insurers tip off the ambulance chasing solicitors etc?

Of course it won't.

The laws surrounding email and selling of data haven't really changed significantly from the existing Data Protection Laws.

Reputable companies will continue to behave the same and spammers will continue to flout the law.

The daft thing is that the new regulations seem to be getting used to send more spam out than ever from some of the more reputable companies under the guise of informing people about their updated privacy policies...with a bit extra on the end of the email trying to get you to buy some special deal.

Of course it won't.

The laws surrounding email and selling of data haven't really changed significantly from the existing Data Protection Laws.

Reputable companies will continue to behave the same and spammers will continue to flout the law.

The daft thing is that the new regulations seem to be getting used to send more spam out than ever from some of the more reputable companies under the guise of informing people about their updated privacy policies...with a bit extra on the end of the email trying to get you to buy some special deal.
On the plus side a lot of companies are running competitions to get your opt in. I won a full set of Antler suitcases from Dalton Park that retail at £650. Shame I’d just bought some of their cheaper ones the week before. Sold them and kept the good ones.

You should run a competition, prize could be a month of unbannable posting?

They can’t do that - consent has to be given freely. Unless opting in isn’t a condition of entry?
Well it isn’t a condition of entry but if you give us your email address we will enter you into the following competition. By entering the competition you agree for us to store your details etc. etc. People will say yes that’s the point.

You can still enter the competitions and opt out of the marketing.

One of my email addresses is over 20 years old so I have shitloads of companies from over the years. I don't need children's books or lovehoney anymore. No doubt it will be the life insurance, PPI and funeral plans that continue to bombard me.

Whatever happened to the Rolex watches and bigger knob ones from back in the day? Don't need either, obviously, got a watch and just pee (poison piss at that) with the other these days :p

One of my email addresses is over 20 years old so I have shitloads of companies from over the years. I don't need children's books or lovehoney anymore. No doubt it will be the life insurance, PPI and funeral plans that continue to bombard me.

Whatever happened to the Rolex watches and bigger knob ones from back in the day? Don't need either, obviously, got a watch and just pee (poison piss at that) with the other these days :p

To be fair, love honey is one of the few I have accepted :lol:

Has anybody read any good ones? The Ann Summers one is interesting in how they profile you using data from a 3rd party.

"We collect the following personal information about you from the following sources, which we use in the ways described in the section below:

CACI

UK HEAD QUARTERS Kensington Village Avonmore Road London W14 8TS

Data Source:
CACI OCEAN Database

Example categories of data:

650+ demographic, lifestage and lifestyle variables:

Examples:

Demographics – age, income, no. of children
Home & Motor – house type, no. of cars
Digital – internet usage, social networking
Lifestyle – interests and hobbies
Shopping – weekly spend, supermarket brands