GDPR data request

Yeah, I’m with you. However, it’s clear that any email address with name.name is classed as personal data regardless of whether it is business or personal and it can’t be assumed it’s an alias.
Mine is first name.lastname.

I want to make it a f***ing pain for this company because they shouldn’t have me in their mailing list. I’ve no idea why I’m there.

The confusing factor is it’s an American company.

I was hoping for a template email I could send but it looks like I have to write it myself.

It’s an American company.

But like I said, I don’t want to be deleted, I want to be a pain in the arse and get them to give me all my data.
Is GDPR relevant if it's a usa company? Seb, sorry.

Yes it is. It's personal data under gdpr

Ico told me last week that emails if include your name should be treat the same. Told them i thought that was stupid, but such is gdpr
Funnily enough, this company keeps calling me by the wrong name in the emails. One of the reasons I want to request my info and where they got it from.

It is under the new legislation when it comes to email addresses although still a bit grey when it comes to enforcement.
OK, maybe it has changed but in the past (ie up to May 2018) your name wasn't subject to data protection
eg in a GP surgery if you name is John Taylor that isn't (or wasn't) subject to data protection. But if John Taylor took tablets for his epilepsy that was private info only to be shared on a need to know basis.

Yes it is. It's personal data under gdpr
It must have changed then since May 2018. A name on it's own with no other information was never subject to data protection.

OK, maybe it has changed but in the past (ie up to May 2018) your name wasn't subject to data protection
eg in a GP surgery if you name is John Taylor that isn't (or wasn't) subject to data protection. But if John Taylor took tablets for his epilepsy that was private info only to be shared on a need to know basis.

It must have changed then since May 2018. A name on it's own with no other information was never subject to data protection.
Plenty of things changed in May 2018 thanks to gdpr

May 24 to be precise. Been good fun working in a bank and working out how shit some of the data is.

Back