GDPR data request

Discussion in 'SMB' started by HellsBells, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Anyone put in a request for your data under GDPR, to someone who’s emailing you and never asked for your permission?

How successful was it, and are there any templates that are easy to use?

2. HANDSOME_DAN

HANDSOME_DAN Midfield

Less hassle to block/ignore surely

3. I don’t want to block them yet. I want to know what they have on me. They shouldn’t have anything.

4. MattyW

MattyW Goalkeeper

Right of access

HellsBells likes this.
  5. HANDSOME_DAN

HANDSOME_DAN Midfield

I’d let it go it’s probably your hormones playing up and making you paranoid.

Deleted member 27677 likes this.
  6. PTR

PTR Striker

I wish they're was a way to not have to reject cookies on each website one by one

Lammy likes this.
  7. Discopants91

Discopants91 Striker

They should give details of how to find out and how to be deleted within their privacy policy.

8. The confusing factor is it’s an American company.

I was hoping for a template email I could send but it looks like I have to write it myself.

It’s an American company.

But like I said, I don’t want to be deleted, I want to be a pain in the arse and get them to give me all my data.

9. MattyW

MattyW Goalkeeper

It is possible to make your request verbally. Probably easiest to just call them?

10. The Raven

The Raven Winger

GDPR only applies to the EU I think.

11. I don’t really want to have to call America.

No, it applies to subjects in the EU, regardless of where the company is based. If you email people in the EU you need to follow it.

peil and MattyW like this.
  12. MattyW

MattyW Goalkeeper

If they deal with EU residents they have to comply

HellsBells likes this.
  13. Yep, but I think you have to request it in writing?

MattyW likes this.
  14. MattyW

MattyW Goalkeeper

I am sure that it is also possible to make a verbal request. Will check.

HellsBells likes this.
  15. I’d like to have it in writing anyway ;)

16. I did a few mainly to test other people's response while working out how to do this myself.

It actually doesn't matter the form btw, written, phone even social media all have to be picked up.

The bit that everyone has picked up on is that the data returned has to apply to a 'natural person'. A lot of people that are just using email addresses seem to have come back with an email address can be an alias or group so doesn't necessarily identify a natural person, so in your case I don't think gdpr subject access request is the way forward.

If it's sales stuff you are looking at consumer protection from unfair trading - they legally have to make it "clear and easy" to unsubscribe.

Edit - I ain't no stinking lawyer and this post is not legal advice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    HellsBells likes this.
  17. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

Unless your email address is goat.eyes@hotmail.com for example.

Includes your name is what I’m saying.

18. I've made the same argument and it comes down to interpretation of the phrase 'natural person'. Most are going with because the email could be an alias and isn't directly and purposely mapped to an entity you are fine to keep them. I mean I could create goat.eyes@live.com and say that identifies me as you.

19. I don’t think anyone gives a shit tbh.

20. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

Yeah, I’m with you. However, it’s clear that any email address with name.name is classed as personal data regardless of whether it is business or personal and it can’t be assumed it’s an alias.

HellsBells likes this.