Gatesheed drinking

Discussion in 'SMB' started by StiflerPG, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Blyth_Pirate

Blyth_Pirate Full Back

There used be the teams club as well down Bensham way, could sell yer granny in there. Was a pub as well, can't recall it's name at the moment, bit further up in Bensham was the jockey, more like a saloon.

2. This is the same advice that away fans at Sunderland get when they come to Sunderland mate.

'Just go to Newcastle the pubs are better'. No wonder we fail to stop that happening when even Sunderland fans advocate going to Newcastle as the best option.

Captain Deltic and the boot like this.
  3. Sidewinder2

Sidewinder2 Winger

If there's any woof lasses on his course they can use the new doggy play area.........

I'll get my coat

4. Blyth_Pirate

Blyth_Pirate Full Back

Aye mate, reckon our paths are sure to have crossed. Was rough as fcuk, but some belter nights out.

5. Whickham House? Sterling House?

6. Boz33

Boz33 Winger

Some good pubs round that end, ship and swan were always alreet and the fiddlers used to be heaving most of the time, great place for a lock in there iirc.
    Eagle was always a bit lairy mind:lol:.... a bit further on towards felling from heworth, the cumberland arms used to always have a shit load of hippies but the did do double maxim and a brilliant duke box

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  7. dangermows

dangermows Striker

Fuck ya garn on about marra?

8. Sidewinder2

Sidewinder2 Winger

Eagles a fucking spar or something now, the shop not the lasses kind.

Deuchars is still rough as fuck

Boz33 likes this.
  9. Blyth_Pirate

Blyth_Pirate Full Back

No mate, was just up from the Teams club.

10. Sidewinder2

Sidewinder2 Winger

Central has a new doggy play area with toys etc and dogs beer

11. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Striker

Was in the Station East boozer opposite The Central the other week and the draft ales were absolutely spot on!

dangermows likes this.
  12. dangermows

dangermows Striker

I see.

13. Blyth_Pirate

Blyth_Pirate Full Back

Black bull next to the Metro used to be a decent pub if it's still there.

14. Boz33

Boz33 Winger

Duchars was always a weird pub as it was in the middle of nee where, bit of a hike from the ship then the closest one from there woulda been what? Leam social club?

15. Blyth_Pirate

Blyth_Pirate Full Back

Bit further afield there was a pub at eighton banks, was known as a swingers gaff, again, the name escapes me. Was the ship as well, used to do cracking scran.

16. There was also briefly a night club called the Cotton Club which was on the side street just up from what used to be the British Lion and just down from the Police Station. The dance floor was the size of most people's front room so to make it look bigger they covered the walls in mirrors. That place was something to behold and made Bobby's look like the Ritz.

The name Bobby's came from the comedian Bobby Patterson who was based there and who I think owned it for a while. When he left or retired or sold it on or stopped for whatever reason, it was renamed the 'Roundhouse' as it was a circular building. Pretty much nobody in Gateshead ever used the new name and it was and always will be simply known as 'Bobby's'

Found a canny photo here of Bobby in front of the club;

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&s...aw3_yzkb4yvtPTHP1mYIiUWQ&ust=1544222723660613

Blyth_Pirate likes this.
  17. Sidewinder2

Sidewinder2 Winger

Bowes incline?

Aye on fewster square

Boz33 likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

The previous photo was copywrited apparently with Bobby in front of it, but this was the place and I am sure a fair few will remember it.

19. Boz33

Boz33 Winger

No matter how pissed or off your head, no one was ever turned away from Bobbys :lol:
    Although once you got in you wish you had of been

20. The Eagle was up the hill from the Duchars and then there was the Bugle on Fewster Square plus the Leam Club, After that you had the Black Bull at Wardley which is now an old peoples home.

Don't live there any more and have not done since 1991 but I have family who do, I think the Eagle is still open, the Duchars long gone, the Bugle is now a farm foods and as I said The Black Bull is an old people's home.

The other pub on the estate was the Durham Ranger and I think that one is still there. The ship closed down years ago as well although it was never actually on Leam Lane Estate.

The Leam Lane Club is still going but its a horrible soulless place and is nearly always empty. I go there now and again when my brothers come back to see my mother as that's where they drink when they come up as my mother lives very close to it. I hate the place with a passion, its awful beyond belief.

errant likes this.