Gas/Electric

I moved from SSE to a company called Outfox the market.
My original duel fuel tariff was £93 a month.
They’ve now said that between October and April it’ll be £166 a month , reducing to £56 a month between May - September.
I’ve told them that I’d rather they spread the payments out equally over the 12 months rather than be hit with a £70 a month rise in the winter.
Unfortunately I think prices now are an utter rip off.
Same here. I just joined two weeks ago and they're screwing around already. Do they really think I can't see that the average of the winter and summer prices is about £30 a month more than the old price used to be?

Bulb have been class for me, use the below referral link and you get £50 credited to your account.

David has given you £50 of FREE renewable energy. To claim your free gift, sign up using this link: Bulb - Get a quote
This.

I changed to them and although my bill fluctuates it’s fairly stable.

Use Joes referral for £50 each.

All renewable energies and easy to deal with.

Switched to bulb but rates went up quite quickly.

Pure Planet are now the cheapest, sndjystvas greem as Bulb.

Their referral fees aren’t as good, though

My gas / elec company reduced my direct debit from £120 to £55 p/m earlier in the year. I rang and asked them to keep it the same but they wouldn't and I'm now £500 in arrears to them so they are sticking my monthly payment up to £180 p/m. If they had listened to me in the first place this wouldn't have happened but part of me thinks they do this deliberately as it is far harder to change providers if you have arrears on your account (unless you are happy to pay it off in one go).

If there is evidence you called them and said that, put a complaint in and the ombudsman will get some of the debt written off.

Just opened my annual statement and seen the increases they (SSE) want to impose and was close to a heart attack. It seems the summer months when the weather was hot and the nights were light have had no impact on creating a credit balance to offset the winter usage..

So before I get stuck into the comparison sites, has anyone switched lately and have any recommendations?

They are all roughly the same for their 12 /18/24 month deals. They have to be similar to compete.

Not worth moving around most of the time.

Just make sure you never go onto a monthly variable rate tariff with any of them.

So the best thing to do is look on comparison sites, Uswitch seem to have the best deals on.

Don't just look at annual costs, look at the unit rates per KWH and daily standing charge. If you are a high user, choose the company who charge the least per unit, you should be able to find companies charging 3.018p per KWH for gas and roughly 14p per KWH for electricity, be sure that all prices shown are including the 5% VAT as a lot of companies don't include this in their prices and just write it in the small print.

If you are a low user ( anywhere upto £400 per year) then check for the deals with the lowest daily standing charges. You may be able to get a deal with an 8-9p daily standing charge on each fuel rather than anywhere upto 36p on each. This makes a huge difference to low users as it could knock your annual standing charges down to £58 from £262. The unit rates are only going to be roughly 15-20% higher on these types of tariff so it will be much more cost effective.

Also, be wary of Bulb, they've upped their prices by 19% in the last 6 months, they were great 6 months ago however now they're pretty average, only you don't have the protection of fixed rates.

Don't be conned by lying sales agents via telephone either, if they tell you they will fix your prices for 12-18-24 months what they mean is your standing charges and unit rates will stay the same, NOT YOUR DIRECT DEBIT.

On another note, use Topcashback or Quidco as you should be able to get anywhere between £30-£80 for switching depending on what website you use.

So the best thing to do is look on comparison sites, Uswitch seem to have the best deals on.

Don't just look at annual costs, look at the unit rates per KWH and daily standing charge. If you are a high user, choose the company who charge the least per unit, you should be able to find companies charging 3.018p per KWH for gas and roughly 14p per KWH for electricity, be sure that all prices shown are including the 5% VAT as a lot of companies don't include this in their prices and just write it in the small print.

If you are a low user ( anywhere upto £400 per year) then check for the deals with the lowest daily standing charges. You may be able to get a deal with an 8-9p daily standing charge on each fuel rather than anywhere upto 36p on each. This makes a huge difference to low users as it could knock your annual standing charges down to £58 from £262. The unit rates are only going to be roughly 15-20% higher on these types of tariff so it will be much more cost effective.

Also, be wary of Bulb, they've upped their prices by 19% in the last 6 months, they were great 6 months ago however now they're pretty average, only you don't have the protection of fixed rates.

Don't be conned by lying sales agents via telephone either, if they tell you they will fix your prices for 12-18-24 months what they mean is your standing charges and unit rates will stay the same, NOT YOUR DIRECT DEBIT.

On another note, use Topcashback or Quidco as you should be able to get anywhere between £30-£80 for switching depending on what website you use.
Was looking at low day rates a while ago. Couldn't find any? Are there ones that charge 9p a day?

Can’t be arsed changing these days, some companies made it a right chew on. I just stick with n power and move onto a new tariff when the current deal is up.

Back