Gas Boiler Flue

dundeemackem

Midfield
OK Gas & Heating Engineers of the SMB....need your advice.

Bought flat in 2017 (Bryant Homes built in 2006)
Has the same boiler in since built- no issues. Works fine.
Serviced before we bought- no issues raised.
We are now looking to sell and engineer has said boiler is fine, but flue is too close to opening window.
He has stated new boiler required.
I measured the flue today, it is 280mm from the window (minimum 300mm). Replacing an entire functioning boiler for 20mm seems a bit OTT.

My question is:

The boiler was installed in 2007 before 2008 regulations- do they apply to it now?
If so, can we not just put a flue diverter on to take it 300mm away from the nearest opening?

We are now looking to sell and engineer has said boiler is fine, but flue is too close to opening window.
I measured the flue today, it is 280mm from the window (minimum 300mm). Replacing an entire functioning boiler for 20mm seems a bit OTT.

My question is:

The boiler was installed in 2007 before 2008 regulations- do they apply to it now?
If so, can we not just put a flue diverter on to take it 300mm away from the nearest opening?
Yes if you want to sell it unfortunately. Same as if you wanted to rent it. They update the regs normally to keep us safe. You would not leave as asbestos from the 60s in there.
As far as the flue diverter goes this could be done as long as it’s within the regs. I’m sure the flues have changed since then too though.

My question is:

Change the widow to a bottom opener or fixed.
Will be cheaper than a boiler move I would imagine

Pm if need advive

Your best off reading or downloading the boiler manual.
There’s usually a drawing that shows you how close you can be.
I measure up for extensions every day and have to stick to these regulations.

Thanks for replies. Yes, I wouldn’t need permission to change the window but it’s not a route I’ll be going down. Third floor needs windows that open to clean as no window cleaner.

Can you put a smaller flue on which maybe reduces the diameter of the flue by 20mm in order to be compliant?

I understand that regs are there for a reason but it’s been this way for 13 years with no ill effect. It would be the equivalent of getting a speeding ticket for driving at 71mph on the motorway.

My question is:

Is it definitely 280 from the side of the flue to the opening and not the frame or window boundary?

By diverter do you just mean a black plastic bend on end of flue?

After a re-gig our flue was soaking a wall so added one. Likely to be against regs now maybe but not looking to move anytime.

Yes if you want to sell it unfortunately. Same as if you wanted to rent it. They update the regs normally to keep us safe. You would not leave as asbestos from the 60s in there.
As far as the flue diverter goes this could be done as long as it’s within the regs. I’m sure the flues have changed since then too though.

I was under the impression that the flue stuff was building regulations and not gas safety ones. (I confess I am not an expert on either)

Obviously it applies to new installations, so if the boiler was replaced it would have to meet the latest regs. But I have never heard of these being applied retrospectively.

Also like the OP I fail to see why the boiler needs replaced, when only the flue is at fault - it might make sense to replace the boiler at the same time, if its old but technically, what is wrong with fitting a different flue?

If the boiler is a high efficiency model you should be able to buy a plume kit for it
That will solve the problem
300 mm to opening window reg has been around ages
Looks like it was installed incorrectly

I was under the impression that the flue stuff was building regulations and not gas safety ones. (I confess I am not an expert on either)

Obviously it applies to new installations, so if the boiler was replaced it would have to meet the latest regs. But I have never heard of these being applied retrospectively.

Also like the OP I fail to see why the boiler needs replaced, when only the flue is at fault - it might make sense to replace the boiler at the same time, if its old but technically, what is wrong with fitting a different flue?
The boiler doesn’t need replacing, the flue being that close to a window is a building reg but I’m sure the flue reg changed last year (different type) so any work done on the flue would have to be brought up to regs. Hence full replacement to bring it to gas regs, relocated to meet building regs.
Mind it can come down to local authority regarding building works. Even individual inspectors.
He could however leave it and sell the house cheaper (minus the cost) once again comes down to individual agents/solicitor. It’s an even greyer area when it comes to electrics.

Back