Gas BBQs

Aye i know it's a little bit premature, but i need to think about hot weather to get me through this crap time of the year. Always had just smallish Charcoal BBQs, but have decided i fancy a Gas one this year, due to having them often, but only for a few people, as i can't be looking after others.

Any recommendations for a Gas one, and also the best places (I live down south) for Gas bottles, fill ups, how long they normally last, and also would it be dodgy to buy an empty gas bottle off say Gumtree, and just get that filled up?

I would be using it Most weekends in the summer for a maximum of about 8 people, but normally about 6 . Seen a canny 2 burner one on sale in Argos down to about 86 quid, but how much for the rest , and apparently separate attachments, or are they shite and just stick to Charcoal. It's the cleaning after i hate messing about with

Can highly recommend one of these:

Broil King Gem™ 340 Barbecue Grill

Mines on its 3rd year and is as good as new - they've got a cast steel body which don't warp when heated. Can easily cater for 6-10 people. You can slow roast joints in it and is fairly economical with the gas - one 13kg bottle lasts me about 20 bbqs. I never had to fart about cleaning it - just whack all burners on full for 5mins after you've finished burns off all the crap, then just give it a once over with a steel brush

Last edited:

Mines on its 3rd year and is as good as new - they've got a cast steel body which don't warp when heated. Can easily cater for 6-10 people. You can slow roast joints in it and is fairly economical with the gas - one 13kg bottle lasts me about 20 bbqs. I never had to fart about cleaning it - just whack all burners on full for 5mins after you've finished burns off all the crap, then just give it a once over with a steel brush
How much is that? Can't see a price. Looks really canny so am guessing a fair bit. How much does 13KG gas bottle cost, just to try to work out if it's cheaper than Charcoal in comparison

Aye i know it's a little bit premature, but i need to think about hot weather to get me through this crap time of the year. Always had just smallish Charcoal BBQs, but have decided i fancy a Gas one this year, due to having them often, but only for a few people, as i can't be looking after others.

Any recommendations for a Gas one, and also the best places (I live down south) for Gas bottles, fill ups, how long they normally last, and also would it be dodgy to buy an empty gas bottle off say Gumtree, and just get that filled up?

I would be using it Most weekends in the summer for a maximum of about 8 people, but normally about 6 . Seen a canny 2 burner one on sale in Argos down to about 86 quid, but how much for the rest , and apparently separate attachments, or are they shite and just stick to Charcoal. It's the cleaning after i hate messing about with
stick with charcoal or your guests will be laughing about you behind your back.

How much is that? Can't see a price. Looks really canny so am guessing a fair bit. How much does 13KG gas bottle cost, just to try to work out if it's cheaper than Charcoal in comparison

They're about £300, I haven't bought any of the accessories coz they're fairly pricey aswell, except for a cheap smoke box to put soaked wood chippings in. But its a good quality barby - easiest thing I've done on it is a butterflied leg of lamb - cook it on low heat with the lid down for a couple of hours, turn it two or three times and it comes out really moist - sliced up so people can help themselves - its dead easy.

Think me first bottle of gas cost £70 but that's with the bottle, so about £40 thereafter. Its probably more expensive than charcoal but loads easier, you can just leave stuff cooking on indirect heat, and more versatile than a charcoal imo

tidied ;)

Just can’t get my head around them, you lose the taste completely.

I know what you’re saying , but I’d gladly take a trade off managing to light the thing first time and not having the outside of the food burnt to a cinder within 3 seconds

What's the point of a gas BBQ seriously??? No different to cooking in your oven. For lazy arses that can't be bothered to be a real man and use a proper BBQ .

Fair one - if you feel you need to light a fire in your back garden and stand over it sweating like a rapist while everyone else is enjoying themselves in order to feel vaguely masculine

Don’t buy patio gas, it’s a rip off. Buy the red propane and a new regulator.
I heard propane, but never heard of red propane?

A canny bit more than i want to pay, but obviously you an tell it's better

Got one from Asda about 3 years ago.
Think it was about £170.
No complaints with it
I was looking at this cheap one from Argos
Buy Premium 2 Burner Gas BBQ with Side Burner | Barbecues | Argos

tidied ;)

Just can’t get my head around them, you lose the taste completely.
Aye i have always said this but am sick of the mess

Last edited:
You stick to doing the coleslaw Hun . Let your husband do the manly thing thing and BBQ for you.
:lol:
:lol::lol: I have no idea. I thought it was a cheaper version like red diesel for a minute . Like a cheaper version you can nick from the crematorium :eek::lol:

Green bottle = patio gas - its propane but slightly more expensive - supposed to be more efficient and the bottles have a gauge on them
Red bottle = propane
Blue bottle = butane - not really used for bbqs anymore

Back