Gary Numan gets £37

They make money from touring and merchandise - or not.
And have second or more likely first jobs and do the touring around their holidays certainly in the genres I listen too for every Metallica and iron maiden theres thousands of bands making next to nowt. Is why seeing so many bands following the Kiss merchandising as well, jigsaws , beer, whiskey seen one label doing a coffee and tshort combo with the coffee blends named after the band tshirt you get and one death doom band selling chilli sauce. Its those smaller and midsized bands that were selling 5-50-000 records that could just about make a living from with touring on top cant now.

As has ben said its become more rigged towards the larger record labels and artists and in essence has become a record label sponsored Pirate Bay as thats where the money is going, to a point where it always did in the past on CD sales as well wasnt it like 40p from each sale went to the band.

Have been listening to a really good podcast series from a festival promoter who has had a lot of people in the industry, managers, tour managers, booking agents etc etc as well as band members who also have their own agencies and its been eyeopening.

I love spotify. But I suppose it is a thing I should bin if I want a fairer world and encourage younger bands.

But I'm weak and I love it too much, so I see as many newer bands as I can. A little struggle and poverty is good for creating better music.
me too and I still buy some music and attend plenty of gigs, if everyone spent as much as we did they'd be doing OK

I do struggle to feel too sorry for older artists though, they didn't feel for me when they were charging £20 for a CD 20 years ago

me too and I still buy some music and attend plenty of gigs, if everyone spent as much as we did they'd be doing OK

I do struggle to feel too sorry for older artists though, they didn't feel for me when they were charging £20 for a CD 20 years ago
Agreed. CD prices were insane.

Still making a killing from Spotify etc. tbf. Even the major labels recognise these old catalog releases as serious competition for streaming revenues, one of their CEOs was grumbling about it in that DCMS committee session the other day.

A glance at the Official Charts Top 50 Albums today...

Elvis Greatest hits, George Michael, Whitney Houston Ultimate Collection, Beatles 1, Bob Marley Legend, MJ Number ones, Abba Greatest Hits, Rumours Fleetwood mac, Neil Diamond Classic Diamonds, Elton John, Queen Greatest Hits... I actually got bored of typing any more as there's so many.

All of these are doing serious numbers from streaming and keeping them high up in the charts.

It's disgusting really, that's why you see so many older musicians still touring. It's the only way to make money...

throw in the fact that record companies insist on 50% of a band touring revenue also means there’s absolutely no money in it

The cost of putting one of these together which provides even 1/10th of the "gig experience" in quality, vastly outweighs what they can make on digital tickets, sadly. Nobody's paying for an acoustic phone filmed set in the bedroom. Liam Gallagher probably earned a few quid boating down the Thames like.

We did one with a band who launched their new album with a prerecorded live set aired with extra VR functionality at a set time worldwide. Cost a fair few quid, was handsomely ticketed at around £10-15 but the users reported a largely terrible experience with jumping, buffering, unable to use the VR functions. It's a mess tbh and the sooner gigs are back the better!
Yeah I agree, suppose I was thinking more about digital accessibilty when it came to responding there, rather than how it's received.

Rebillet's streams work cos his sets are built around improv and interacting with the audience, which he could still do to a degree by getting people to call in. Worth it just to watch him crack up some weeks. I watched part a stream of another band with four of them in their Zoom tiles playing instruments and although they were there playing the song live it didn't really work.

Amazon are probably a slightly different beast given their infrastructure etc.

Looks like Spotify made a small profit one year, EUR 50m or so. That’s tiny relative to their revenues

other sources indicate a loss. I’d need to look at it properly

Spotify are still investing loads though. They’ve spent 900million alone on buying up podcast infrastructure/technology then they’ve bought rogans show etc.
They’ve also set themselves up for the new generation of bands/artists so they can cut out record companies.

What Ray Davies thought about the music industry:

Robert owes half to Grenville
Who in turn gave half to Larry
Who adored my instrumentals
And so he gave half to a foreign publisher
She took half the money that was earned in some far distant land
Gave back half to Larry and I end up with half of goodness knows what
Oh can somebody explain why things go on this way
I thought they were my friends I can't believe it's me, I can't believe that I'm so green
Eyes down round and round let's all sit and watch the moneygoround
Everyone take a little bit here and a little bit there
Do they all deserve money from a song that they've never heard
They don't know the tune and they don't know the words
But they don't give a damn
There's no end to it I'm in a pit and I'm stuck in it
The money goes round and around and around
And it comes out here when they've all taken their share
I went to see a solicitor and my story was heard and the writs were served
On the verge of a nervous breakdown I decided to fight right to the end
But if I ever get my money I'll be too old and grey to spend it
Oh, but life goes on and on and no one ever wins
And time goes quickly by just like the moneygoround
I only hope that I'll survive

Still making a killing from Spotify etc. tbf. Even the major labels recognise these old catalog releases as serious competition for streaming revenues, one of their CEOs was grumbling about it in that DCMS committee session the other day.

A glance at the Official Charts Top 50 Albums today...

Elvis Greatest hits, George Michael, Whitney Houston Ultimate Collection, Beatles 1, Bob Marley Legend, MJ Number ones, Abba Greatest Hits, Rumours Fleetwood mac, Neil Diamond Classic Diamonds, Elton John, Queen Greatest Hits... I actually got bored of typing any more as there's so many.

All of these are doing serious numbers from streaming and keeping them high up in the charts.

I'd guess that quite a high percentage of the people streaming those albums own them already on CD.

One of the things I've been thinking about due to this thread is how important young kids (I'm thinking primary school age and below) now are in terms of determining streaming revenue and also singles chart positions. They're a demographic that would previously have had little influence on the chart or artist royalties pre-streaming because they had very little money.spending power. Now, via a family account on Spotify, Apple Music etc., they can stream their favourite song 43 times in 3 hours and 200+ times a week.

It's disgusting really, that's why you see so many older musicians still touring. It's the only way to make money...
Makes you wonder what they did with the millions they made in the 80’s. Should have been more careful with their money I suppose. Can’t be short of a few bob but I guess that’s not the point he is making!!!

The cost of putting one of these together which provides even 1/10th of the "gig experience" in quality, vastly outweighs what they can make on digital tickets, sadly. Nobody's paying for an acoustic phone filmed set in the bedroom. Liam Gallagher probably earned a few quid boating down the Thames like.

We did one with a band who launched their new album with a prerecorded live set aired with extra VR functionality at a set time worldwide. Cost a fair few quid, was handsomely ticketed at around £10-15 but the users reported a largely terrible experience with jumping, buffering, unable to use the VR functions. It's a mess tbh and the sooner gigs are back the better!

I'm sure Amy MacDonald streamed a live gig recently to promote her new album, I'm guessing she made very little from it judging by this post.

It’s really not good

The counter challenge is that it’s not Spotify and the like making tons of money (are they even profitable yet?), it’s the distribution of income.

Would you pay £20 a month for a streaming service? I would, but plenty wouldn’t bother (which means income to be distributed falls)

I'd pay £20/month for Tidal HiFi.

Back