Gary Numan gets £37

I see no merit in buying albums, I am satisfied with the quality of music streams. May as well donate the money to the bands but I won't do that. Gigs is where I will give my money directly. I haven't bought a band t-shirt since Knebworth 1979, so merch is out as well. :lol:
I buy merch too. I like to have it and there is a good mark up for the bands.

The music I buy is not mainstream or popular so I am often emailing some bloke in New York for T shirts.

The great thing is some bands or their people chuck some random free stuff in there too or even a personal message which is nice.

I doubt I would get a message from Mariah!!!

Certainly one way to look at it.
Just that streaming services have almost entirely killed off music buying, which radio never really did
Probably the significant difference it that spotifyers know they can listen to (Insert song) whenever they want rather than having to wait for the radio to play it. Radio on demand.

I'd imagine most acts don't get a say in it if their label has them on there.

They have near enough zero say if they’re speaking to labels. Established ones can say no and release independently if they already have large revenue streams elsewhere. Or a new artist might get away with the first song they release being a 7” exclusive or something as a PR angle but they won’t avoid streaming forever, very few commercially minded labels would agree to release a full record offline only. As much as it’s a poor deal for artists 99.8% of the time, it still makes very little sense to eschew digital altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
I buy merch too. I like to have it and there is a good mark up for the bands.

The music I buy is not mainstream or popular so I am often emailing some bloke in New York for T shirts.

The great thing is some bands or their people chuck some random free stuff in there too or even a personal message which is nice.

I doubt I would get a message from Mariah!!!
Marc Rebillet was doing a live stream every week for free during the first lockdown, I really looked forward to them so bought a tour sweater as much to chuck him a few quid as owt else.

Don't they read the contracts? Many bands are going independent which gives them control. Risk is their choice.

I think a large proportion of those who are independent (i.e. retaining their own copyrights) will still aim to monetise recordings on DSPs like Spotify and all that. It's a crappy royalty at 0.004p a stream but as folk have already said on this thread, it's better than 0p with some fuckwit pirating it for everyone to download illegally.

Marc Rebillet was doing a live stream every week for free during the first lockdown, I really looked forward to them so bought a tour sweater as much to chuck him a few quid as owt else.
Why don't more offer live streams that viewers can pay for? Entertaining for people with nowt to do and they can keep their hand in and hopefully make a bit of dosh too.

I think a large proportion of those who are independent (i.e. retaining their own copyrights) will still aim to monetise recordings on DSPs like Spotify and all that. It's a crappy royalty at 0.004p a stream but as folk have already said on this thread, it's better than 0p with some fuckwit pirating it for everyone to download illegally.
Honestly, I think I'd rather give it away for free than have a million people play it and get £37, with some other company getting probably more before I got my share.

I'd rather just release it all for free and build a better fanbase.

Why don't more offer live streams that viewers can pay for? Entertaining for people with nowt to do and they can keep their hand in and hopefully make a bit of dosh too.
Bit easier for him cos it's just him and his setup and he does it all himself. I have seen other bands do live stuff online though, Gorillaz did three they streamed in different time zones then released a recording of.

Guess it comes down to how easy it is to do it and charge for it. At the most basic level there's nowt stopping anyone from setting up a live stream and a PayPal account to ask for cash.

Bit easier for him cos it's just him and his setup and he does it all himself. I have seen other bands do live stuff online though, Gorillaz did three they streamed in different time zones then released a recording of.

Guess it comes down to how easy it is to do it and charge for it. At the most basic level there's nowt stopping anyone from setting up a live stream and a PayPal account to ask for cash.
The massive flaw in that model is that most livestreams are utter shite. Music is to listened too or enjoyed in a live situation with others. IMHO.

Spotify is a double edged sword.

The benefit comes from the algorithms and playlists - these give artists a fair uptick in new listeners through the nature of the way Spotify works (susses your taste and caters to that). There’s no other service that can provide access to so many so easily.

Royalty wise there’s something a miss with this article - 1 mil on Spotify gives around £2500 at 100%, now the problem is most labels will take half or more % wise to start, and then you’re dividing amongst maybe 2/4 song writers.

This sounds a decent catch but it’s really not sustainable, especially as most artists struggle to hit even 50k streams on one track. The streaming model is really shafting working class artists and making it hard to commit full time to music like they did ‘back in the day’.

Best thing you can do is a bandcamp purchase if you’re looking to help specific artist (google their name + bandcamp).

Last edited:

The cost of putting one of these together which provides even 1/10th of the "gig experience" in quality, vastly outweighs what they can make on digital tickets, sadly. Nobody's paying for an acoustic phone filmed set in the bedroom. Liam Gallagher probably earned a few quid boating down the Thames like.

We did one with a band who launched their new album with a prerecorded live set aired with extra VR functionality at a set time worldwide. Cost a fair few quid, was handsomely ticketed at around £10-15 but the users reported a largely terrible experience with jumping, buffering, unable to use the VR functions. It's a mess tbh and the sooner gigs are back the better!

The cost of putting one of these together which provides even 1/10th of the "gig experience" in quality, vastly outweighs what they can make on digital tickets, sadly. Nobody's paying for an acoustic phone filmed set in the bedroom. Liam Gallagher probably earned a few quid boating down the Thames like.

We did one with a band who launched their new album with a prerecorded live set aired with extra VR functionality at a set time worldwide. Cost a fair few quid, was handsomely ticketed at around £10-15 but the users reported a largely terrible experience with jumping, buffering, unable to use the VR functions. It's a mess tbh and the sooner gigs are back the better!
I've never liked watching bands perform on the telly. Apart from Whistle Test because you couldn't hear the stuff elsewhere.

It’s really not good

The counter challenge is that it’s not Spotify and the like making tons of money (are they even profitable yet?), it’s the distribution of income.

Would you pay £20 a month for a streaming service? I would, but plenty wouldn’t bother (which means income to be distributed falls)

The 7 euro a month I pay for our Spotify family sub is the best vfm I spend but like you say how many subscribers at that price does it need for artists to get a fair share of the cash

The 7 euro a month I pay for our Spotify family sub is the best vfm I spend but like you say how many subscribers at that price does it need for artists to get a fair share of the cash

Same here, well worth the fiver a month.

I do wish the artists got paid more, not my problem as a consumer though. It's more than they would otherwise get as I have no interest in physical media.

Last edited:
I've never liked watching bands perform on the telly. Apart from Whistle Test because you couldn't hear the stuff elsewhere.

I'd rarely watch a gig on TV. Happy to watch something like Whistle Test, The Tube, Later or ToTP and I also really enjoy music documentaries. In saying that, I did watch the Aretha Franklin returning to gospel concert film "Amazing Grace" the other week and thought it was marvellous. However, that was film of something truly special, not Coldplay Live From Butlins, or something.

I'd rarely watch a gig on TV. Happy to watch something like Whistle Test, The Tube, Later or ToTP and I also really enjoy music documentaries. In saying that, I did watch the Aretha Franklin returning to gospel concert film "Amazing Grace" the other week and thought it was marvellous. However, that was film of something truly special, not Coldplay Live From Butlins, or something.
Glastonbury can be really good. Gossip, Dua Lipa and Beyonce were all mesmerising. Most stuff is fast forwarded.

Back