Garry Monk ......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monk like every other realistic target we could hope to attract fits into the "not sure how well he'd do/bit of a risk" catergory.

Look at the pros and cons for Phillips and McInnes and I tend to agree with a lot of what is posted.

I would personally have Monk over the above two but wouldnt have a meltdown if he goes to Palace or Boro.

Every manager with a impressive record and reputation had to start somwhere,I just hope that the next safc manager will be somone does just that with us

Monk like every other realistic target we could hope to attract fits into the "not sure how well he'd do/bit of a risk" catergory.

Look at the pros and cons for Phillips and McInnes and I tend to agree with a lot of what is posted.

I would personally have Monk over the above two but wouldnt have a meltdown if he goes to Palace or Boro.

Every manager with a impressive record and reputation had to start somwhere,I just hope that the next safc manager will be somone does just that with us
Don't you read Mad Bobs posts?

...... why?

A fair amount of people see him as the answer but I just can't see the attraction tbh.

He's only managed for a total of 3 years.

He inherited a Swansea side Laudrup had got into Europe but only avoided relegation in the last week.

Despite having players around him, he was familiar with, he had a run of 1 win in a dozen games and was then sacked.

At Leeds he managed to lose an FA Cup tie against Sutton United and blew the play off's with a terrible run in the last critical 8 games.

So, why are some people so keen?

Agreed I don't understand the wankathon over him!

Slavisa Jokanovic however managed to get Watford promoted playing good football & was sack for no reason.

He's now at Fulham & playing some lovely stuff. Did well to get them to the play offs with little resources...Also beat the mags twice season gone.

...... why?

A fair amount of people see him as the answer but I just can't see the attraction tbh.

He's only managed for a total of 3 years.

He inherited a Swansea side Laudrup had got into Europe but only avoided relegation in the last week.

Despite having players around him, he was familiar with, he had a run of 1 win in a dozen games and was then sacked.

At Leeds he managed to lose an FA Cup tie against Sutton United and blew the play off's with a terrible run in the last critical 8 games.

So, why are some people so keen?
Agree with this.

I must admit I have no idea what to make of his time at Leeds. Given the state of Leeds over the last few years it looks pretty impressive on paper but they had the leagues top scorer and have a strong side in comparison to a lot of the teams in the league. So to have finished outside of the play offs is pretty poor especially given their position late on in the season, it was a complete bottle job. The fact he lasted more than a fortnight at Leeds suggests he was doing a good job though.

Agreed I don't understand the wankathon over him!

Slavisa Jokanovic however managed to get Watford promoted playing good football & was sack for no reason.

He's now at Fulham & playing some lovely stuff. Did well to get them to the play offs with little resources...Also beat the mags twice season gone.
Brighton mate thought they were the best team they played, including the mags.

saud it on another thread but if that big new zealand striker had been out for 3 or 4 months at any point of the season leeds would of struggled to make mid table. He would probably have been sacked and everyone would be saying he is a shite manager. He doesnt look like he handles pressure to me the blokes a pretender

Think I'd prefer McInnes over Gary Monk.
What does McInnes have over Monk?

People are only saying this about Monk because he looks set for the Boro job. If he was set to take over here we'd be saying how great he was. He is the only decent candidate out there.

What does McInnes have over Monk?

People are only saying this about Monk because he looks set for the Boro job. If he was set to take over here we'd be saying how great he was. He is the only decent candidate out there.

For me Monk's sides aren't aggressive enough and I don't want to go back to the passing for passing's sake type football, although his style did seem to adapt when he was in charge of Leeds to be fair

I don't really see what makes Monk the only decent candidate either

Loads of valid reasons here like
Leeds are similar to us. At the start of the season no one gave Leeds a chance of getting into the playoffs. They have no money and a mental owner. This was the best season Leeds have had since going down. Any Leeds fan I know can't speak highly of him and are gutted he's gone.

For me Monk's sides aren't aggressive enough and I don't want to go back to the passing for passing's sake type football, although his style did seem to adapt when he was in charge of Leeds to be fair

I don't really see what makes Monk the only decent candidate either
Who else is there?

Allardyce has retired.
There's only Pearson and Pardew as the club don't seem to want to think outside the box and look at what Huddersfield and Reading have done.

Last edited:
Who else is there?

Allardyce has retired.
There's only Pearson and Pardew as the club don't seem to want to think outside the box and look at what Huddersfield and Reading have done.

Managers in the lower leagues who have done well with smaller clubs, people who have done well in other countries such as McInnes. I'm not saying Monk would be a bad appointment but he is hardly a shoe in as the only decent manager we could attract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back